I admit it, I was wrong.... I thought we were smater... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I admit it, I was wrong.... I thought we were smater...

Worf101
05-26-2006, 05:27 AM
I guess I uderestimated the stupidity of the American viewing public AGAIN... 69 million people tuned in to watch "American Kareoke" on Weds night. Yet we couldn't save "Firefly" or hundreds of other great shows that have come and gone without a trace over the years... How truly sad....

Da Worfster

GMichael
05-26-2006, 05:40 AM
I guess I uderestimated the stupidity of the American viewing public AGAIN... 69 million people tuned in to watch "American Kareoke" on Weds night. Yet we couldn't save "Firefly" or hundreds of other great shows that have come and gone without a trace over the years... How truly sad....

Da Worfster

It's in the advertisements. No one knew that Firefly was on. When it showed up on Sci-fi a few years later, it just happend to fall into a slot that I was already recording each week. If it weren't for that, I may have never seen it. Then Serenity was only advertised on the Sci-fi channel. The movie was great IMO. And I loved having the theater to myself. Maybe a dozen other people there. It's a shame. Some shows put 99% of their money into the show and 1% into advertisement. Some put 1% into the show (or movie) and 99% into advertising (The Guide and Amer Id come to mind). And who does well? The 99% to hype wins. Don't get me wrong, there are some good shows doing well like Lost. But they do some advertising to get people interested. It's a good mix, maybe 90 show to 10 hype. Many of the good shows that have fallen away were because no one knew they were on.

bobsticks
05-26-2006, 06:02 AM
GMichael,
All due respect to your advertising theory, but I believe this to be a fine resolution of a "topical" v. "substanative" conflict in American society today. It is easier to turn on the tube and slurp down whatever low production cost pablum the mediaheads see fit to broadcast. It is a much greater challenge to think and analyze...

Cheers I suppose,
M

GMichael
05-26-2006, 06:12 AM
GMichael,
All due respect to your advertising theory, but I believe this to be a fine resolution of a "topical" v. "substanative" conflict in American society today. It is easier to turn on the tube and slurp down whatever low production cost pablum the mediaheads see fit to broadcast. It is a much greater challenge to think and analyze...

Cheers I suppose,
M

I'm not sure what you're saying. Will there be a movie about this I could watch while drinking a brew?

Groundbeef
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
I would like to put my .02$ on this topic. Although American Idol may not be your cup of tea, it is perfect for family viewing. I know full well that I can sit comfortably and watch an hour with my 3 girls 5,7,9 and not have to worry about profanity, sex, or violence. I do not shelter my kids, but also I am careful as to what they watch.

America's funniest videos is also another family favorite.

However, on the filp side my wife and I enjoy 24, and Lost. Neither one would be good for family viewing (for those with small children).

So don't begrudge a show that allows people to watch with their kids. We enjoy it, and it livens up the dinner discussion. If you don't want to watch it, dont.

Kam
05-26-2006, 07:12 AM

Da Worfster

just read some more numbers today on the show:
43 million tuned in to view
63 million votes were cast.
So, if everyone who viewed voted, that's a max of 43 million people voting (bush got 49 million votes in the last election, 104 million votes were cast, and 295,734,134 is the total population of america, according to the CIA, not sure what percentage of that is voter aged)
but the 63 million here have to be double+ votes, since the show allows one person to cast like 50+ votes if they want to keep calling in. not that its really any consolation to your statement, since firefly and arrested development and many other shows still went kaput.

paul_pci
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
If it's any consolation, I didn't watch American Idiot (surely that's a typo). While groundbeef's point is well taken, it cannot account for the numbers Worf brings up as households that are married with minor children comprise no more than 25% of the population.

Worf101
05-30-2006, 05:04 AM
I would like to put my .02$ on this topic. Although American Idol may not be your cup of tea, it is perfect for family viewing. I know full well that I can sit comfortably and watch an hour with my 3 girls 5,7,9 and not have to worry about profanity, sex, or violence. I do not shelter my kids, but also I am careful as to what they watch.

America's funniest videos is also another family favorite.

However, on the filp side my wife and I enjoy 24, and Lost. Neither one would be good for family viewing (for those with small children).

So don't begrudge a show that allows people to watch with their kids. We enjoy it, and it livens up the dinner discussion. If you don't want to watch it, dont. Mindless family entertainment is one thing... slavish mindnumbing obsession is another. Politics is life and death in this country, ask any Katrina victim, so it's a damn shame that a glorified Kareoke contest gets almost as much coverage as a Presidential Election. I don't mind that you watch the thing with your kids fine.. but the number of idiots that obsess over this show is scary beyond words and sad if you ask me. Not only do better shows get short shrift during Idol mania but real goddamn life gets ignored as well... This is sad...

Da Worfster

Resident Loser
05-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Mindless family entertainment is one thing... slavish mindnumbing obsession is another. Politics is life and death in this country, ask any Katrina victim, so it's a damn shame that a glorified Kareoke contest gets almost as much coverage as a Presidential Election. I don't mind that you watch the thing with your kids fine.. but the number of idiots that obsess over this show is scary beyond words and sad if you ask me. Not only do better shows get short shrift during Idol mania but real goddamn life gets ignored as well... This is sad...

Da Worfster

...do you actually think it's any different from anything that goes on in the media-driven mentality of the consumerific guinea pigs that are the vast, viewing public...

They vote one way because their fave media personality does so...buy things Oprah raves about...buy SUVs cuz it's the thing to do...yada, yada, yada...ad infinitum, ad nauseum...we've been down this road before...Submitted for your approval, the lyrics from Frank Zappa's "I'm The Slime":

I am gross and perverted
Im obsessed n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little had changed
I am the tool of the government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you cant look away
I make you think Im delicious
With the stuff that I say
I am the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime oozin out
From your tv set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we dont need you
Dont got for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

Thats right, folks..
Dont touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin along on your livinroom floor

I am the slime from your video
Cant stop the slime, people, lookit me go

The powers that be just love it when vast segments of society get obsessive over one thing or another...great camoflage for all the underhanded cr@p that goes on while no one is paying attention...

jimHJJ(..."We have met the enemy and he is us" from Pogo by Walt Kelly...)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I watched it one night just to check out the quality of the singers. IMO it was not the best that I have seen come from this show. And to think that alot people were really into this :rolleyes5:

GMichael
05-31-2006, 07:43 AM
I watched it one night just to check out the quality of the singers. IMO it was not the best that I have seen come from this show. And to think that alot people were really into this :rolleyes5:

My wife loves this show. I can put up with it sometimes. Often I find myself walking out though. Not only are some of the singers half rate, but so is the audio. Krackle, pop, drop off, surge, pop pop krackle.

topspeed
05-31-2006, 10:16 AM
I can think of a couple of reasons to watch AI:

http://us.tv1.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fox/american_idol_2006/apr25_katharine.jpg

Seriously, Kat is smokin' hot! Plus, she can actually sing, which is more than most of today's wretched "pop" stars can say.

In addition to the very valid reasons posted by groundbeef, I actually enjoyed the show because I thought Taylor Hicks (the winner) and Chris Daugherty (the rocker who should have been the winner) stayed true to their character. Whereas McPhee will likely have a steller career based on her talent and looks, she doesn't have anything special that makes her different from the thousands of other pop wannabe's. Taylor legitimately has soul. He makes every song he sings his own, as opposed to just signing someone else's song (as Kat did in the finale). This is the first time since season 1 that I actually watched all they way through. I abhor pop music so usually, I could care less who won. Taylor and Chris are not pop and therefore made it interesting.

As for the political undertones of the thread, I stay away from such arguments. Everyone has a right to believe whatever they want to.

Some are just wrong... :ciappa:

Worf101
06-01-2006, 04:45 AM
I can think of a couple of reasons to watch AI:

http://us.tv1.yimg.com/tv.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/tv_pix/fox/american_idol_2006/apr25_katharine.jpg

Seriously, Kat is smokin' hot! Plus, she can actually sing, which is more than most of today's wretched "pop" stars can say.

In addition to the very valid reasons posted by groundbeef, I actually enjoyed the show because I thought Taylor Hicks (the winner) and Chris Daugherty (the rocker who should have been the winner) stayed true to their character. Whereas McPhee will likely have a steller career based on her talent and looks, she doesn't have anything special that makes her different from the thousands of other pop wannabe's. Taylor legitimately has soul. He makes every song he sings his own, as opposed to just signing someone else's song (as Kat did in the finale). This is the first time since season 1 that I actually watched all they way through. I abhor pop music so usually, I could care less who won. Taylor and Chris are not pop and therefore made it interesting.

As for the political undertones of the thread, I stay away from such arguments. Everyone has a right to believe whatever they want to.

Some are just wrong... :ciappa:

Now I understand..... If they wanted ME to watch they should have called it "American Cleavage" then I'da been all over it. LOL... well to each his/her own. I GUESS it ain't hurtin' nobody.

Da Worfster