Paradigm PD-8, anybody got one? suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm PD-8, anybody got one? suggestions?

audio_dude
05-25-2006, 03:08 PM
hey people, nobody posted anything about this sub on my other tread, so I though I'd just make a dedicated thread in the "speakers" forum...

well, at my local audio/video store they gave a really nice offer on the paradigm PD-8 sub, $300 CND, about $270 for you americans...

I just wanna know if this is a good sub for the price, and if it will fill out the bottom end for my atoms well.

i'm also open to other suggestion in the SAME price range, no used items please.

cam
05-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I highly recommend that you do not buy the PDR-8. I gaurantee that you will not be happy with it (for the price paid) and you will no doubt upgrade in the very near future. The PDR series are the low line in the Paradigm line up. If you can budget or wait a month till you can budget it, I recommend getting no lower then the PDR-10. You could go to another Paradigm dealer in your area and probably get a PDR-10 for maybe another 25-50 dollars more. Beleive you me, going from the 8 to the 10 within the PDR line up is a big improvement for not a whole lot more money.

audio_dude
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
hehe, this dealer is the only paradigm dealer for at least a 4 hour drive radius, and theirs no chance i'm making that journey

ok, i'll check out the PDR-10, and i'm not expecting to buy this for at least 4 to 5 months

jrhymeammo
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6030/.f?sc=12&category=-112

audio_dude
05-26-2006, 02:32 PM
sry, i can't go with that, and no, i'm not going to explain why

Asmo
05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree with NOT purchasing the PDR-8. I had one once, I took it back, it is boomy and does not integrate well with any speakers i tried it with.

Go with the PDR-10 at least, but, I would recommend since you are obviously on a budget, finding a good used deal on a better sub, Paradigm subs are pretty good, but at that price point you can get better.

audio_dude
05-26-2006, 03:47 PM
thanks guys...i will look around a bit more, and get one auditioned

texas steve
05-30-2006, 06:21 AM
thanks guys...i will look around a bit more, and get one auditioned

I listened to the P-8 and ended up buying the Salk Sound HT3s and HTC (center). the sound is absloutley astounding, and at about the same price point. You can check them out at www.salksound.com (http://www.salksound.com) Well worth the money!!

audio_dude
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
dude, that sub costs 900 american friggin dollars!!!

way outta my range, but looks real perdy!

lataf
06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Grab the mirage S12 for 400 shipped from www.vanns.com quick before they sell out.

hey people, nobody posted anything about this sub on my other tread,
so I though I'd just make a dedicated thread in the "speakers" forum...

well, at my local audio/video store they gave a really nice offer on the paradigm PD-8 sub, $300 CND, about $270 for you americans...

I just wanna know if this is a good sub for the price, and if it will fill out the bottom end for my atoms well.se

i'm also open to other suggestion in the SAME price range, no used items please.

audio_dude
06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
can't you read!?! "$270 american"!!! thts $400, go get ur eyes checked

2chAlex
06-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Take a look at Parts Express Dayton brand of subs, 10" 125 watt and 12" 150 watt power. There has been good feedback on them here in the forum and yes they're in your budget.

bacchanal
06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
You could get a used PDR-10 or maybe even a PDR-12. They're on ebay all the time. I have a PDR-10 and have been pretty happy with it, though I don't require a lot of sub power. It gets a little boomy if you crank it up, but not too bad. I mainly just use it for movies and stuff as I usually listen to music in stereo and it packs plenty of punch for my room and tastes. Sub prices seem to go up pretty exponentially past the $300 range, and you don't always get what you pay for. The PDR-10 is a decent performer that is priced about right.

Also consider HSU. I like their subs for the money. You might be able to find a decent used price on an STF-2