DAC volume question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DAC volume question

nightflier
05-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I am having a problem with an older DAC from Apogee/Cello (Model DA-1000E-20). It's a higher-end unit but because Apogee has gone through several owners since it came out, they cannot service it.

The problem is that it has virtually no sound. When I mean virtually, I mean I have to turn the volume up to 80% or more to get just the faintest audio. I have tried all the different inputs, different components, different cables and I get the same result. It has two volume pots on the front, but they don't help either. Any idea what might be the problem?

Also, I don't have a manual and cannot get a copy from Apogee either. I was wondering if anyone out there had one that they could photocopy or scan for me. Thanks.

noddin0ff
05-25-2006, 01:00 PM
did you try whacking it real hard?

nightflier
05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
No, but it is built like a brick. Two bricks, with the power supply.

nightflier
05-26-2006, 09:06 AM
I just received an email suggesting that there may be an impedance problem because this is a profession DAC and not a commercial one. Does anyone know what that means? Does a pro DAC need different equipment?

noddin0ff
05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
No, but it is built like a brick. Two bricks, with the power supply.

Are you plugging the right one in? Just trying to be un-helpful. ;-)

E-Stat
05-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I just received an email suggesting that there may be an impedance problem because this is a profession DAC and not a commercial one. Does anyone know what that means? Does a pro DAC need different equipment?
It may only support the AES/EBU interface which indeed is different from the more common S-PDIF format. See attached link:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

rw