In the Market for a semi-budget sub. Klipsch or Paradigm? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In the Market for a semi-budget sub. Klipsch or Paradigm?

Gidgidonihah
05-25-2006, 08:41 AM
First off let me say that my speakers aren't the greatest. Just what came with my shelf system back in the day. I'm going to start building my system piecemeal starting with the sub because I don't yet have one. I am a college student with a budget.

That being said, I have been shopping around for subs lately and starting by thinking I should buy a sony sub for 150. Realized that wasn't what I was looking for. Thought about a JBL for 250, demoed it at BB and found it was a lot weaker than a Klipsch SUB-12.

I then went to a small home-audio retailer and he recommended paradigm. But now we're getting a little too high in price.

These are my current options:
Paradigm PDR-12 (http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PDR_Series.html) about $430 after tax, but may be not as powerful as I want.
Klipsch Sub-12 (http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=930&s=specs) ends up around $550 after tax
Paradigm PS-1200 (http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PS_Series.html) ends up around $600 after tax

This is my first real home theater purchase (and one of my most important because I LOVE bass) so I'm not quite sure what I should do here. This is a lot more money that I was planning on spending, but I figure I better spend a little more and go with something that will really please for time to come.

And another note, the small home-theater place from where I would get the paradigm is so small in fact that they don't have a demo area. If I go with the paradigm I will be buying on faith.

This will be used mostly for movies. The only time I would listen to music is if at some point in the future I get a nice sound card and hook my computer up to the reciever.

paul_pci
05-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Velodyne, Hsu, SVS, B&W.

Gidgidonihah
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Velodyne, Hsu, SVS, B&W.

Well that was supprisingly not an answer to my question. I ask which of these 3 specific subs I should get and the response is a list of 4 brands, none of which are in my choices.
Now maybe if you gave some models i should check out instead that would be helpful, but listing brand names doesn't.
Thanks for trying, I guess.

N. Abstentia
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
My personal preference of those is one of the Paradigms.

The PDR-12 is more of a standard sub and is a good all-around performer. If you plan on doing music, go with this sub.

The PS1200 is a bandpass sub, meaning the subwoofer itself is actually enclosed inside. It relies on the tuning of the two enclosures to get more output. The downside is that a bandpass is rather muddy sounding but has lots of low end. If you're doing movies only, you'll like the PS1200.

If price is a major concern, I think you'll be happy with the PDR-12.

Gidgidonihah
05-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Okay thanks.

I've also added the HSU STF-2 and STF-3 as well as the SVS PB10–ISD and PB12-NSD to my list.

kexodusc
05-25-2006, 10:31 AM
How large is your room? If it's too big or small, you'll be limited in what you can buy.

I use to own a PDR-12. To be honest, by today's standards it's a very average-at-best sub. You can do better for the money. I moved up to a HSU VTF-2, while smaller, was a much better sub for about the same money. If you can swing it, I'd recommend checking out the STF-3 from HSU Research.
Or spoil yourself and order one of these.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-762
The kit is really easy to put together, and is much higher quality than what you'd expect from retail subs at this price-point. Do search on the threads here for "Titanic MKIII" and I'm sure you'll find L.J.'s posts, among others.
I built one for my parents when I had my Paradigm PW-2200. The Titanic is a far superior performer, especially for music reproduction, and it's cheaper.

Gidgidonihah
05-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Well the room size at the moment is maybe 10 by 12. and extends to the kitchen. But I'm a college student. I'll constantly be moving, and i want to buy something that will last me when I settle in somewhere. So while it is important that it works with the current setup, I'm looking more long term than that.

cam
05-25-2006, 11:30 AM
My personal preference of those is one of the Paradigms.

The PDR-12 is more of a standard sub and is a good all-around performer. If you plan on doing music, go with this sub.

The PS1200 is a bandpass sub, meaning the subwoofer itself is actually enclosed inside. It relies on the tuning of the two enclosures to get more output. The downside is that a bandpass is rather muddy sounding but has lots of low end. If you're doing movies only, you'll like the PS1200.

If price is a major concern, I think you'll be happy with the PDR-12.
I agree with everything that N.Abstentia has said. The PDR-12 is pretty good at everything but its not great at any one thing. The PDR will be good for music but it could easily be bottomed out for movies. But at average volumes it will perform good. The ps-1200 will easily perform for HT with authority. This is a great HT sub. But I have owned the ps-1000 v3 in the past and noticed over time that it actually can become a little annoying. Having said this, I'm 35 and I'm alot more critical with SQ, If I was in my teens to mid to late 20's I would be more intersted in the PS Series. Paradigm is now building the v4's which has upgraded the power and the woofer and some people have stated that with the upgrades to the v4 over the v3 and v2, it has become a musical sub. I haven't heard it so I can't confirm or deny this. I'm now using a PW-2200 which is great at music and HT. You will be astounded at the output from the PS Series bandpass design, but you may or may not feel the same way with the sound quality. This sub must, and I mean must be crossed over no higher then 80hz, above 80 and you will notice in short order the limits in SQ. I have never confirmed this, but if I had a crossover point at 60hz on my reciever (80 is my lowest) I do believe that I would have be happy with this design. 80hz is at the point where you may notice the SQ starts going down hill, 100hz and 120hz makes the PS Series subs sound like dog$hit. Just my 0.02.

Jimmy C
05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
...has anyone heard the subs from VMPS?

They look pretty wild!

wayner86
05-25-2006, 12:37 PM
From what i've read, SVS makes stellar subs esp. for the HT department. I personally own a HSU VTF-2 Mk II and it's a great sub. The general concensus is that SVS makes amazing subs for HT and HSU makes very musical products. In your situation you could perhaps buy both and take advantage of the return policy on which ever product is less satisfying to you than the other.

Wayne

Florian
05-25-2006, 12:49 PM
...has anyone heard the subs from VMPS?

They look pretty wild!

Forget it, i had the 626 and the RM30...... Never had such a bad experience ever.

-Flo

Gidgidonihah
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Okay, so I'm thinking I'll go with the SVS and see how that goes. I'm guessing that I'll love it judging by what everyone says.

My only questions is whether or not it's worth the extra 200 to go with PB12–NSD over the PB10–ISD. I hear that down firing is better overall. Plus I like the design of the 12, with the baseplate and all. Plus they have it in stock.

Oh the choices! Someone just tell me what to do!

The 10 in black is backordered. Guess that means i should get the 12.

jrhymeammo
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6030/.f?sc=12&category=-112

RoyY51
05-26-2006, 02:59 AM
First off let me say that my speakers aren't the greatest. Just what came with my shelf system back in the day. I'm going to start building my system piecemeal starting with the sub because I don't yet have one. I am a college student with a budget.

That being said, I have been shopping around for subs lately and starting by thinking I should buy a sony sub for 150. Realized that wasn't what I was looking for. Thought about a JBL for 250, demoed it at BB and found it was a lot weaker than a Klipsch SUB-12.

I then went to a small home-audio retailer and he recommended paradigm. But now we're getting a little too high in price.

These are my current options:
Paradigm PDR-12 (http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PDR_Series.html) about $430 after tax, but may be not as powerful as I want.
Klipsch Sub-12 (http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=930&s=specs) ends up around $550 after tax
Paradigm PS-1200 (http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PS_Series.html) ends up around $600 after tax

This is my first real home theater purchase (and one of my most important because I LOVE bass) so I'm not quite sure what I should do here. This is a lot more money that I was planning on spending, but I figure I better spend a little more and go with something that will really please for time to come.

And another note, the small home-theater place from where I would get the paradigm is so small in fact that they don't have a demo area. If I go with the paradigm I will be buying on faith.

This will be used mostly for movies. The only time I would listen to music is if at some point in the future I get a nice sound card and hook my computer up to the reciever.

I would add the Outlaw LFM-1 to your short list. 350 watts, 12" downfiring woofer, and design by Dr. Hsu. Sounds like a much more expensive sub. Sold online at Outlaw Audio for $579.

wayner86
05-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Well you could send me the money, i'll order the subs, & make the decision for you. When i make the decision i'll send the sub to you, i promise. :)

Seriously though, you might want to have a looksy over on the avs forums, the subs you are looking @ are reviewed quite well and you can find lots of detailed information. On a side note you can't go wrong with which ever sub you choose, they are all excellent products.

Wayne

Dharris
05-26-2006, 09:31 AM
If you can, have a listen to the Definitive Technology Pro sub 100TL. Tone of sub:16: for the money. 10" 250w front fire shakes the living room.

N. Abstentia
05-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I actually had a DefTech 100TL back in the day. It was okay, but the Paradigm PS1000 that replaced it completely destroyed it. For that much money I'd go with Outlaw or SVS.

Dharris
05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I actually had a DefTech 100TL back in the day. It was okay, but the Paradigm PS1000 that replaced it completely destroyed it. For that much money I'd go with Outlaw or SVS.
The Paradigm does kick but. I have two Def Tech pro sub 100's.

Jimmy C
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Forget it, i had the 626 and the RM30...... Never had such a bad experience ever.

-Flo

...the problem with them? I've heard some positive, and not so positive impressions.

Have you heard the subs?