DVD Player to Bridge the Gap... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player to Bridge the Gap...

RoyY51
05-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, I guess it had to happen sometime. My revered Panasonic XP-50 DVD player has bit the big one. It just sits there with the word WELCOME frozen on the front display as if to mock me. Nothing that I, or the Panasonic techies have tried has been successful. So, it looks like I'm going to have to spring for a new unit.

My problem is this: I had planned to wait a year or two and see which of the 2 hi-def contenders emerged victorious. I figured that by then, not only would there be a clear-cut winner, but the prices for the these units would be approaching affordability. But since my addiction to movie watching allows me no other choice, I now have to fill that gap with something VERY affordable, yet something that won't cause me to grit my teeth in anguish every time I fire it up.

What I'm looking for are suggestions as to what unit would give me the biggest bang for my buck. Being as this is just a stop-gap measure, I definitely don't want to spend over $200.00. That being said, it has still got to provide an enjoyable watching & listening experience.

I would really appreciate your suggestions as to what units would fit the bill, & where they can be purchased.

BTW, if anyone can tell me how to get my Lord of the Rings DVD out (no hammers, please) I will be eternally grateful.

N. Abstentia
05-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Why not get a newer model Panasonic? Should be well under $100.

As far as getting the disc out...you'll need a screwdriver. Remove cover, get your disc. You could also just yank the drawer open if you don't care about damaging the player any further.

paul_pci
05-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Any reputable mass market player between $100-$200 should suffice: Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, Pioneer, LG, etc. The actual selling point may be which one has the best remote.

superpanavision70mm
05-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I always hear about other people having players that die....I never had one happen to me. I have owned several DVD players over the years and only moved to a new one for either upgrade purposes or just something a bit better, different, etc. Let's see...I've owned Panasonic, Sony, many Pioneers, JVC, Denon, Martantz, Toshiba, and Samsung....I think I have alot of the market covered. My opinion is that Pioneer offers the best for the price in both players and receivers. Denon and Marantz are higher quality and better built players. Toshiba and Samsung usually get the job done, but do not have the navigational ease of Pioneer. JVC never had a problem with and Panasonic I've always liked, but they typically don't have some of the bells and whistles. The latest two machines I've liked are the Pioneer DV568 and the Samsung HD941.

N. Abstentia
05-25-2006, 05:35 AM
That reminds me...I've had a ton of players also! Probably at least a dozen, and since my friends are just like me (oh God!) I've seen lots of players.

Denon is the only brand I've seen that just actually DIED. I've seen lot of dead Denon's.

Panasonic have always had a slight edge in picture quality.

I upgraded from Pioneer because my Pioneer wouldn't play DVD recordables.

Keep in mind these issues with older players are just that...issues with older players. I'm sure current players from these companies are much better.

I currently have a Sony 400 disc changer, but otherwise I'd never buy a Sony.

I currently have a Marantz universal player which looks and sound great, but has a few quirks.

I currently have an Onkyo 6 disc changer which is probably overall the best working player I've ever used.

I bought a NEW Samsung player for my parents last year, only to find out it wouldn't play DVD's burned with my Samsung DVD recorder.

I have a $49 Sanyo from WalMart I use as a backup/test/bedroom player which works like a champ, and has been for about 3 years.

RoyY51
05-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Has anyone seen the Panasonic DVD S-1? I just got back from CC where they are selling this progressive scan little slip of a thing for $60. I mean, how good could it be? Since I couldn't find any reviews on it, I was hoping for some first-hand experience from someone out there in theater land.

I will be anxiously awaiting your comments.

nightflier
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, does Panasonic make anything higher-end? All the players I've seen have been under $200 (except for their PVR's & burners). Also, Panasonic doesn't seem to support SACD or DVD-A on any of their players, is that accurate?

RoyY51
05-25-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm not familiar with the complete Panasonic line, but I know that the XP-50 that just went belly up originally sold for $350. It had DVD-Audio but not SACD. And when it was still among the living, both picture and audio were wonderful.

HD newbie
05-25-2006, 03:52 PM
I just bought a LG upconverting DVD player model 731 I believe and I love it... Looks better than my old Toshiba and was only 150 bux in canada so probbaly about 120 in the states. I also am witing about another year or 2 until the DVD war is over :)

RoyY51
06-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Why not get a newer model Panasonic? Should be well under $100.

As far as getting the disc out...you'll need a screwdriver. Remove cover, get your disc. You could also just yank the drawer open if you don't care about damaging the player any further.

I decided to take N. Abstentia's advice and check out the new Panasonic models. I ended up with a Pannie DVD S52 from CC. for $99. In addition to the usual niceities, it also has upconversion via the HDMI port. This would be great if my receiver and/or TV were so equipped, but alas! However, the progressive scan and the audio reproduction are very good. Not as good as my recently departed XP-50 (I held a small funeral in the back yard...he would have liked it) but still good. Hopefully, this will tide me over until the format wars have blown over.

By the way, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver did the trick quite nicely. Thanks to everyone for their input.