Backing up mp3's I've ripped [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Backing up mp3's I've ripped

80tapefan
01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
I have 100s of mp3 files I've ripped (mostly at128kbps which sounds fine 2 me) and want to make backups.
Are storing CDR backups of data and mp3's going to be adequately
protected in a Fire-safe such as the one I have that says temps inside
will remain below 350F for one hour in a fire environment?
Also how do regular (pressed) CD's fare (unprotected) in a fire envirironment
compared to other media?

I guess its better to store important data at an alternative site? I have a
large collection of mp3s I've ripped, data, and digital images. About
25 CDR's worth of it, so I'd like to find out how to keep it safe.
DVD-R's are probably even better for archival purposes, but my PC only
has a regular CD burner.

plextor guy
01-29-2004, 05:05 AM
Your best bet is redundant backup of your music and data every year. In other words, backup to at least two locations. To cd/dvd and an online storage service for example. Recent studies concerning cd and dvd media life expectency aren't confidence inspiring. Using a firesafe should protect your media. Skip the cd labels and store the media in acid fee paper if possible.

jack70
01-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Making redundent backups of digital data is something that's generally MOST important to people with business's (daily data), and professional photographers. If you're REALLY concerned abvout this too (sounds like you are...LOL), simply make 2 copies of everything and keep them in different places. You could put data on CD's or DVD's (more data), and keep them in a safe-deposit-box.

You could then keep a duplicate copy of that data you burned to those CD/DVD's on an external hard drive... there are 80-160 gig external drives that connect via USB/Firewire... you can get them on sale very inexpensively ($100-200). Take it out of the drawer every week or 2 and back up your data... use a well thought out system to organize the files in a folder scheme. Periodically (whenever a folder has enough data to fill a CDR) burn the files in the folder to a CDR, AND send the new folder to the external drive.

BTW, it's FAR more likely your internal hard drive will fail rather than a fire destroying everything. But I agree with your general thinking... I back up most (long term) data with CDRs and short-term data on Zip-discs. A hard-drive failure and I'd lose all my digital photos there, let alone the MP3's which are mostly replaceable.

80tapefan
02-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Your best bet is redundant backup of your music and data every year. In other words, backup to at least two locations. To cd/dvd and an online storage service for example. Recent studies concerning cd and dvd media life expectency aren't confidence inspiring. Using a firesafe should protect your media. Skip the cd labels and store the media in acid fee paper if possible.

Yeah I'm gonna have my friend store one set of backup CDs and put the other in my safe. I generally update the disks (burn new backups) every 10-15 months. Small price to pay for data protection.

80tapefan
02-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Problem is my USB ports are full so I'd have to get a USB hub for an external hard drive. But I am getting low on space in my computer. All those photos and mp3s are eating most of my C drive. I have about 2GB of free space left!(out of an 18GB drive).
Also isnt access to a USB drive going to be slow compared to my C drive?
I generally can fit my photos on 2 700MB CD-RW's which I update once a month. The mp3s are on CDR and are long term.
I like the portable drive idea though. I might look into it.

jack70
02-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Problem is my USB ports are full...
Yeah, a hub will allow you to connect more USB plugs together, but I simply plug in only what I need -- if I'm going to download from my camera, I plug the USB cable (that's already plugged into the back of the PC) into my camera... I then unplug it from the camera. Same with my scanner. Same with my cable modem. They ALL don't need to be plugged in simultaneously. Your PC won't "see them", or configure the port unless the device on the end of the cable has a voltage on it (turned on) anyway.

Also isnt access to a USB drive going to be slow compared to my C drive?
It is, and it's one reason new computers use firewire and USB2 ports... they're much faster. But it's not something you'd do all the time, just like defragging, so until you get a new PC with Firewire, it'll work.

I'd back up data (pics & music) more frequently than once a year. You've heard of Murphy's law, no? LOL. Decide on a schedule/scheme for doing it that makes sense to you... like when a particular folder gets around 700M. If I'd saved stuff with more thought early-on (organization system), my drive would be much less of a mess to sort through. I know I'm not the only one.