Have you got complacent with HD-widescreen yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have you got complacent with HD-widescreen yet?

Wireworm5
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I've had my HD widescreen for over a year and I still love it. For the most shows it just 480p, but it still is a superior picture to my 33" conventional tv.. When I pop in a movie the picture is upscaled to 1080i. I do this just to see a great picture as I'm bored with most of my dvd's and need to get some new ones.
Haven't experience true HD yet and don't know if I'll hop on the bandwagan. But the novelty of watching HD upscaled still hasn't worn off. Any comments?

kexodusc
05-24-2006, 12:37 PM
HD is awesome...between that and my DVR, I probably watch double the TV I did before. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I'm never bored.
I sure like my 51" HDTV. Can't wait to give it get that Spyder to calibrate it...

Mr Peabody
05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I find it hard to grow complacent with something I feel hasn't fully arrived yet. Maybe some day way down the road when HD is the norm like NTSC is now. I feel it is a shame that the HD disc formats couldn't have come to a compromise because many people are sitting at home with HDTV's wondering when they will have adequate programming to view. I have 3 HDTV's. I bought HD as I had reason to replace a set. I feel like those guys who built the bomb shelters in the 50's. I have one just in case. OK, I have some programming but it is a very small percentage compared to what else is available. I think the HD providers have grown complacent before they accomplished the job. I think those of us who bought the HDTV's made a mistake. If the sets were just sitting in the stores then there would be a push to roll out more programming. But while the sets are selling and the cable/satelite companies are making people pay premium price for the hand full of HD programming they aren't going to do jack. Even the networks show very little HD. I have to admit I watch very little network. I watched 24 this season it was in HD but the surround sound was virtually non-existent and action shows like that should be providing us thrills, don't you think. I need to check some of the others. I have several movie channels that are in my package but the only ones I really watch are those in HD. I guess in a round about way my answer to your question is ,no :)

EdwardGein
05-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't know who carries your HDTV but on Time Warner Cable I get NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, TNT, Discovery, PBS, HBO & Showtime, the later 2 are premium channels. These channels are broadcast in prime time almost always in 1081. There are occassional shows like the Apprentice which still aren't broadcast in HD but for the most part all the prime time shows are 1081.

Mr Peabody
05-24-2006, 07:58 PM
I get those but out of the possible 100 or 200 channels you could have, that's a drop in the bucket. That's my point.

Do you listen to HT when viewing the HD networks (CBS, NBC, FOX etc.)? If so, what do you think of the shows use of surround effects? In what little I've sampled, it doesn't compare to a movie on one of the premium channels. It's almost like, why bother turning on the extra gear. I mean, HD and 5.1 could be so much more. I want to watch 24 and have it sound like Pearl Harbor. I mean, at least have the gun fire or helicopters go around a little. It's supposed to be 5.1 and sounds like not much more than stereo. My HD channels are all the regular network stuff along with HBO/Showtime HD. I refuse to pay more to get the few others like HD net or Discovery. It would almost be worth to get Discovery, there's probably some cool visuals on there.

EdwardGein
05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
One thing people get confused & I can see why is on some TV Shows on the Networks where they have In HD at the beginning of the episode, they also have 5.1 next to it & some people think there's a special HD 5.1 Sound. There isn't, they just have these two seperate terms next to each other. On some shows the 5.1 Sound is alot better then others like Without A Trace & sometimes CSI (Las Vegas). There really is no consistency in the sound even when they say its in 5.1 It's almost like DVD's. A Movie like "Master & Commander" is great in 5.1 but other movies aren't so great like King Kong & dialogue type movies. What's annoying on TV is alot of time, the background music is in loud 5.1 instead of things pertaining to the action. On the other hand, while most TV Shows in HD are great visually, a mediocore show like "How I Met Your Mother" is really bad as the colors they use are too dark brownish or something. But shows like Lost look fantastic.
Same with Sports Events. I'd say 85% of my TV viewing is on these HD Channels so I've got no complaints. I wish Sci Fi Channel was in HD as well as the new WB/UPN channel
(they did broadcast in HD but hardly any cable companies had the HD version of those channels). In regards to stuff that was not filmed in HD originally like vintage TV Shows, early Law & Order's etc., I don't think conversion to HD would look real good, in fact on TNT they stretch the picture on these type of shows & it looks awful. As to movies on TV that were originally filmed for theatrical release, I still don't understand the process of them showing these movies on HDTV, so I can't comment on them.

superpanavision70mm
05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
If the passion has worn off on something it usually means that you weren't into it for the long haul to begin with. Remember being a kid in grade school and wanting to play a musical instrument? I do. Along with 99% of the class....then 2 years later there are only about 10% of the students staying with it. Then a few years later about 5%. After graduation a few students stick with it, maybe change instruments, maybe sell the trumpet for a few bucks in a yard sale....whatever the case...the passion dies off for some. It sounds cool in the beginning. Oh wow a really awesome home theater this and that. Then as time goes on...some still want to invest money and spend time with it, while others simply get bored and venture on to something else.

evil__betty
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I just recently got my HD satelitte installed and absolutely love it! I know that people complain that there are only 20 channels in HD compared to the 200 availible and don't think that it is worth the money. But I say to them, out of the 200 availible channels that you have, how many do you watch frequently (honestley, I'm sure that I have many channels that I will never watch)?. I would say most people probably watch about 20. And out of those 20, I'd say at least half of those are networks that broadcast HD in primetime. So that leaves you with about 50% of the worth-watching channels in HD - not to mention all the HD sports and premium movie channels. For that, I am willing to spend a measly $10/mth to get a way better picture on the expensive TV sitting in my living room. That to me is a MUCH wiser descision than spending $10+ a day in smokes! For a lot of people, getting HD is like cutting down cigarette comsumption by only a pack a month! Not a big sacrifice in my opinion. But thats just me.

Rock&Roll Ninja
05-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Everything I watch on TV is 4x3 (Food Network, the Simpsons, Adult Swim), why buy an HDTV just to watch everything stretched?

EdwardGein
05-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I haven't watched the Simpsons in years but isn't it broadcast in HD? I agree with you if you don't watch any programs broadcast in HD, its a waste of money buying an HD player for yourself. Your the first person I know who watches only channels that happen not to be broadcast in HD.

Mr Peabody
05-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Evil Betty, how many of the 20 HD channels do you watch? Out of those 20 there are some that viewers aren't going to be interested in, just as the 200.

The transition from NTSC 4:3 to HD is a pain. If you watch an HD channel and they show something that isn't in HD, then your picture is in 4:3. On the other hand, 4:3 has to be altered to fit 16:9 screens. On some good TV's the conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 is almost undetectable.

I have HDTV's and enjoy what programming there is, my point is not to get HD, that's each person's decision if they feel it's a good value. My point is that industry is lagging in bringing the programming out and I suspect the fact that they are getting premium prices for a hand full of HD channels is probably an incentive NOT to be in such a hurry. The $10.00 HD package is probably a hotter seller than the premium movie channel packages. You add $10.00 on the majority of subscribers bills and that becomes a pretty big chunk of change.

evil__betty
05-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I just think that it is funny that people are willing to drop thousands of dollars on a state-of-the-art HDTV but are so recultant to spend pocket change on the progamming that brings the TV to life. Regardless of the quantity of HD channels, the fact that so many popular programs are being broadcast in HD makes it all worth while, don't you think? I consistantly watch shows like Lost, Jay Lenno, Conan O'Brian, 24, Alias, Desparate Housewives... well not really, Discovery, Law and Order, CSI and more that are all shown in HD. Almost all primetime viewing in is HD. When I flip to the food channel or TLC, it'll still be in SD for quite a while, but the majority of people watch the major networks a lot more than the specialty channels. If you consider the cost of switching over all of the gear (cameras, control rooms, etc) that studios use to HD standards, you can see why it is taking so long. Even though the ammount of HD channels is growing slowly, the ammount of content that is being shown on the existing HD channels is growing a lot quicker. Every year there are more and more shows being filmed in HD which are then showed on the major networks (pre-existing channels). Just be patient. I just think that if you want the best video performance, don't just get the TV, get the source that will give you the best video performance for now. I am sure that HD will quickly become the standard in years to come, but for now we are at the mercy of the networks. But that is all just my humble opinion.

EdwardGein
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Very good post, I'm sorry to admit. And for $10 more a month you can rent an HD DVR too. I have a pair of them. I haven't watched live TV in over a year as its so easy to fast forward commercials. My combination High Speed Internet & HD Cable TV service for 2 HDTV's is around $150 a month but worth it. I get all digital programing, movie package (IFC, Mystery & all the others), Showtime, HBO, On Demand Programming, Howard Stern, Basic HD which includes HBO & Showtime, 2 DVRs & its still affordable on my early retirement pension. I also get Neflix for $19 a month. I rarely go to movies as a result. It use to be I'd spend about $40-50 on movies each week with all the added BS, but since I got my home theater system, I'm more then happy to wait for the DVD unless something sounds like a must see movie.

Mr Peabody
05-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Me personally, I have the HD programming I'd watch and a HD-DVR as well. I don't think I'd get my money's worth on the HD package offered. I don't watch sports. I do get the regular networks in HD the the HBO, Showtime HD.

E__B, you said you watch network HD programming, I posted earlier that i didn't think 24 in HD sounded as good as a DVD as far as surround effects, would you agree? And do any of the other shows you listed do any better with the sound? 24 is supposed to be 5.1 but it might as well be stereo for all I can tell. HBO & Showtime movie sound is just like a DVD.

Koggit
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I got my first HD TV three years ago, it was a 32" widescreen CRT. Then a year ago I upgraded to a 56" widescreen DLP. On both, I watched the best material I could get. HD from my cable company, an upconverting DVD player, 720p Xbox games, an Xbox 360 as soon as I could get my hands on one... the initial awe wore off after a month or two both times, and after that I just couldn't go back to anything less. Much like the upgrade from VHS to DVD - at first it's novel, then it's a necessity.

Mr Peabody, your local FOX affiliate might not broadcast 5.1. St Louis is a pretty large city though, so I'd assume they would... it's definitely something to look into. Since I don't yet have a decent sound system I can't fully comment as to whether my FOX affiliate has the same problem.

Very good post, I'm sorry to admit. And for $10 more a month you can rent an HD DVR too. I have a pair of them. I haven't watched live TV in over a year as its so easy to fast forward commercials. My combination High Speed Internet & HD Cable TV service for 2 HDTV's is around $150 a month but worth it. I get all digital programing, movie package (IFC, Mystery & all the others), Showtime, HBO, On Demand Programming, Howard Stern, Basic HD which includes HBO & Showtime, 2 DVRs & its still affordable on my early retirement pension. I also get Neflix for $19 a month. I rarely go to movies as a result. It use to be I'd spend about $40-50 on movies each week with all the added BS, but since I got my home theater system, I'm more then happy to wait for the DVD unless something sounds like a must see movie.

Nice! I only have Digital Basic (no movie channels) and one HD-DVR, combined with my high speed internet Comcast takes $125 a month. For only $25 more per month you're getting quite a few premium channels.