The color of receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The color of receivers

drgnfly
05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
I've been looking around for receivers and other gear. The one thing that I can't seem to digest is the Gold Colored gear. Maybe I was just brain washed when I was younger that Electronics needed to be silver/grey/metal/black colored?

As i had mentioned in another post. Resources are limited where I am, and I don't get all the color options. For example, Onkyo and Marantz only have models that have a Gold Color finish.

What are you opinions on Gold Colored equipment as well as the "other" colors?

Cheers

Mike Anderson
05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Forget about receivers. For your budget, you should think about a separate amp, tuner and preamp setup, or at least an integrated amp+preamp.

And forget about the color/appearance. There's little/no correlation to the sound quality. The only thing fancy appearance adds to is the price.

What's the primary source for your music? CD's? Vinyl? The radio? A computer? It makes a big difference.

For example, I've dumped broadcast radio altogether, so a receiver or tuner is obsolete in my setup. All my music comes either from the computer (onto which I've ripped my CDs) or the Internet (which is my source for all radio).

But if you have a big vinyl collection and no high-speed internet connection, that complicates things.

drgnfly
05-23-2006, 07:15 PM
My primary source of music is CDs, Computer/Internet/iPod.

I know that the color will have no affect on sound quality. But it does have a huge affect on the FAF(Fiance Acceptance Factor). :cornut:

Mike Anderson
05-23-2006, 07:23 PM
My primary source of music is CDs, Computer/Internet/iPod.

Don't mess with a receiver then, just get an amp + preamp, or integrated.

I know that the color will have no affect on sound quality. But it does have a huge affect on the FAF(Fiance Acceptance Factor). :cornut:

Aha. Understood.

Fortunately, I have a wife who will accept huge planar speakers and bizarre-looking gear of all sorts!

drgnfly
05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Bizzare looking gear and big speakers is not a problem!!! (surprisingly...)

But the Gold color is hard/nearlyimpossible.

superpanavision70mm
05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Whether anyone will admit it or not....half the reason that someone buys something is the appeal factor that it has on the eyes. It might be a subliminal thing, but appearance does matter. What does that mean exactly? Well, if lets say receiver A sounds identical to receiver B, but looks butt nasty....then we are certainly going to go for the more attractive one. Sometimes it's a good thing to have all your equipment match in both style and also performance, but that's not always a reality. However, there is nothing wrong with attempting it. So my suggestion would be to first go for performance and then looks.

shokhead
05-24-2006, 06:04 AM
I like everything silver. Very clean looking.

markw
05-24-2006, 06:11 AM
But, then again, maybe that's because that's the way they were when I first started.

Overall, I still think my Marantz 2270 receiver, Model 7 preamp and Fisher FM-100B tuner are works of art.

kexodusc
05-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Looks are important, whether people want to admit it or not. I can't enjoy systems that look crappy. It's irrational bias, and I know that, but I can't just turn it off. We're conditioned to act this way.

If I'm spending thousands on a system, damn right it better look the part too. I've never had to compromise a purchase for looks yet, and I do have that gawdaweful looking BFD, but sound obviously isn't the only consideration for the vast majority of audiphiles, otherwise every speaker would be finished in a flat black paint to save money.

GMichael
05-24-2006, 06:34 AM
I like black with very few button & knobs. Seems like a cleaner look to me. But if I could double the quality for the same price, bring on the green, yellow and orange with pink trim. I'll find a way to hide it.

Resident Loser
05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
...brushed aluminum with dark walnut trim...In the mid-70s most gear was produced along that model...the black showed up in a nod to pro/rack-mount gear...even that was OK until the anodized aluminum turned to plastic...then of course we lost real knobs and switches, trading them in for keypads and LEDs...now we have HT and all that it entails, but don't get me started on that one...

jimHJJ(...as markw pointed out the early Marantz and Fisher used that champagne color, very sophisticated...)

drgnfly
05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I prefer the silver/aluminum, gun metal colors and black... it blends in better with current furniture, TV and other stuff around living room