Speakers to match my Musical Fidelity A5 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers to match my Musical Fidelity A5

gsibble
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey guys! My gf got me a musical fidelity A5 for my birthday and now I need some speakers and interconnects to go along with it.

I'm looking to spend around $2500 (or less). I've always planned on going with the Paradigm Studio 100v3s but I wanted to confirm they would be a good route to go. Will they match well with the A5?

Also, what is a good set of speaker cables to go with these babies or whatever you reccomend? As with the A5 and paradigms, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck but I'll pay if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

-G

PS: I forgot to mention that I'm looking for floorstanders that will provide detailed highs and mids with good low levels.

Bernd
05-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Hey guys! My gf got me a musical fidelity A5 for my birthday and now I need some speakers and interconnects to go along with it.

I'm looking to spend around $2500 (or less). I've always planned on going with the Paradigm Studio 100v3s but I wanted to confirm they would be a good route to go. Will they match well with the A5?

Also, what is a good set of speaker cables to go with these babies or whatever you reccomend? As with the A5 and paradigms, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck but I'll pay if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

-G

PS: I forgot to mention that I'm looking for floorstanders that will provide detailed highs and mids with good low levels.

Hi,
That's a decent amp you've got there.
In my experience MF gear goes well with Monitor Audio Speakers. Also if you like it a bit warmer (as MF and MA are voiced forward and a bit on the bright side) Castle Speakers also go well.
And not forgetting the ART Stiletto. To my ears the best sub £ 1000 floorstanding speaker.
MF gear responds well to Chord or Audioquest Cables.
Good Luck and have fun.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Feanor
05-23-2006, 07:05 AM

Thanks!

-G

First, what type of music do listen too? Second what's your room like. These are the big determinents.

So for example, if you like accoustic music, viz. classical, jazz and you can place your speakers 3 feet from the walls, I'd recommend Magneplanar 1.6QR's, new about US$1900 and one of the really huge audio bargains.

But if you play a fair proportion of rock, etc., something else would be better. Bernd as mentions some options, but the Paradigm Studio 100's -- despite numerous detractors -- have been very well reviewed and, if you like them, also offer huge bang for the buck.

Which brings me to the fact that you ought to listen before you buy -- preferably in you own listening room. This might be a problem with Monitor Audios or Magneplanars; on the other hand Paradigms are widely distributed, at least in North America.

gsibble
05-23-2006, 07:57 AM
The closest Paradigm dealer is about two hours away from me unfortunately :( I'm still going to go up and listen to the 100s.

I do and will want to listen to a bunch of rock (coldplay, audioslave, etc.) so bass response is pretty important. Otherwise those Mags look like they're incredible!

Thanks for the help guys! Keep giving me suggestions!

PS: Just read a bunch of MA GS60 reviews. Seem like great speakers but the 60s and even the 20s are more than the Paradigm 100v3s. I'm definitely going to demo both of them before I buy and I'll remember that the MAs bass doesn't open up until 60 hours or so.

topspeed
05-23-2006, 08:50 AM
If you listen to a lot of rock, the 100v3's should suit you well. You should focus on speakers that a bit more forgiving, as most rock recordings suck :(. Some others worth auditioning would be:

* Von Schweikert VR2's: make sure the pair you audition are broken in as the tweeter needs a few hours to settle in. After that, they are very open, extended, and astonishingly fast from top to bottom. The dynamics of the VSA's will floor you.

* Energy Veritas 2.3: Smooth mids and tight, controlled bass. They can be a bit hot on top, so make sure you audition them with your MF to ensure they won't be fatiguing.

* B&W 704: Not my fave, but a lot of people like them and their build quality is beyond reproach. Like the Veritas, they may prove too hot with the MF, but certainly decide for yourself.

* Vandersteen 2ce: Another that is not my cup 'o tea, but they are the epitome of forgiving and Richard's fans are legion so he must be doing something right!

That's all I can think off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

texas steve
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
If you listen to a lot of rock, the 100v3's should suit you well. You should focus on speakers that a bit more forgiving, as most rock recordings suck :(. Some others worth auditioning would be:

* Von Schweikert VR2's: make sure the pair you audition are broken in as the tweeter needs a few hours to settle in. After that, they are very open, extended, and astonishingly fast from top to bottom. The dynamics of the VSA's will floor you.

* Energy Veritas 2.3: Smooth mids and tight, controlled bass. They can be a bit hot on top, so make sure you audition them with your MF to ensure they won't be fatiguing.

* B&W 704: Not my fave, but a lot of people like them and their build quality is beyond reproach. Like the Veritas, they may prove too hot with the MF, but certainly decide for yourself.

* Vandersteen 2ce: Another that is not my cup 'o tea, but they are the epitome of forgiving and Richard's fans are legion so he must be doing something right!

That's all I can think off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

I have had many different speakers, but these are the best I have ever had. I have only had the Salk HT3s now for one month, but they are fablous. Check out www.Salksound.com (http://www.Salksound.com) There are reveiws as well. And if you live in the Houston Texas area your welcome to come to my home and listen to these, the detail, tightness etc is fablous.

Tell Jim Salk that "Texas Steve" sent you

gsibble
05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
I have had many different speakers, but these are the best I have ever had. I have only had the Salk HT3s now for one month, but they are fablous. Check out www.Salksound.com (http://www.Salksound.com) There are reveiws as well. And if you live in the Houston Texas area your welcome to come to my home and listen to these, the detail, tightness etc is fablous.

I almost bought a Jolida 502B from them! (still plan to for my bedroom at some point) Thanks!

PS: I can't afford $4k speakers though :( At least not for now.

Feanor
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM

Where the HT3's you heard using DEQX?

texas steve
05-24-2006, 04:46 AM
Where the HT3's you heard using DEQX?

No, wish I could of affored them. I have the HT3s and HTC (Center). Absloutley GREAT sound!