Newbie looking for a rec on small system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for a rec on small system

bonedoggie
05-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Hello All,

I'm in the hunt for a receiver for our bedroom. I'm not looking for anything exceptional, but I would like it to have nice full sound and enough power to drive four ceiling mount speakers. The key requirement (from the wife) is that it be a very small form factor. The Denon D-M335 Micro system is about what I'm looking for size wise, but I really don't want to buy the speakers as well. Does ANYONE offer a micro system with similar specs, and NOT force me to get their speakers? I was also considering the Onkyo TX-LR552, but I don't even really need the A/V options. At most I will connect up a Squeezebox to it.

Anyone have a better idea for me?

Regards,

Jon

trollgirl
05-22-2006, 07:44 PM
...smallish amps and tuners. Power is usually low, but how much do you need in a bedroom? I have an MCS 3830 [don't laugh, you haven't heard it] which measures about 12x9x3. The matching tuner was rather good too. The usual micro systems, with amp, tuner, cassette, and CDP in one box, all suffer from lack of inputs, but some of them sound better than they have any right to. My ex-wife has such a Panasonic unit which I have been raving about. I'm a big fan of the JVC MX series - a bit bigger, but the early iterations of the series were serious gear. My MX-1 is on movie duty, and regularly shakes the floor...

Laz

bonedoggie
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I checked those out, but they don't seem to be as unobtrusive as I would like. Is there a good source to use to see all receivers of this type compared?

Thanks

Resident Loser
05-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Hello All,

I'm in the hunt for a receiver for our bedroom. I'm not looking for anything exceptional, but I would like it to have nice full sound and enough power to drive four ceiling mount speakers. The key requirement (from the wife) is that it be a very small form factor. The Denon D-M335 Micro system is about what I'm looking for size wise, but I really don't want to buy the speakers as well. Does ANYONE offer a micro system with similar specs, and NOT force me to get their speakers? I was also considering the Onkyo TX-LR552, but I don't even really need the A/V options. At most I will connect up a Squeezebox to it. Anyone have a better idea for me?

Regards,Jon

...with mini-systems generally, is that they have relatively low power outputs...and in an effort to quote seemingly higher (?) power outputs, the maximum watts stated are usually into the odd loads (4-6 Ohms) of the speakers provided as a part of the package and are measured @1kHz...or are music power Watts or DIN or EIAJ as opposed to FTC RMS into 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, both channels driven...

That being the case, Onkyo has and older system the MC35TECH, which you may be able to find reasonably priced <$400USD...yes it comes with speakers, but the electronics alone are worth the price IMO...A three-disc CD changer, AM/FM w/30 presets and timer, remote, multiple inputs, a sub-out jack and a legit 20Wpc @4 Ohm or 15Wpc @ 8 Ohm...I'll assume a bedroom isn't going to require much more than a couple or three Watts max into most speakers...just be carefull the load presented by your two pair doesen't drop below a nominal 4 Ohms...here's a link:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=MC35TECH&class=Audiosys&p=i

jimHJJ(...and yes BTW, I own one...)