Subwoofer Accoustics Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Accoustics Question

EdwardGein
05-22-2006, 03:17 PM
As I may be moving again in the next few months, I'd welcome any answers/suggestions pertaining to my subwoofer location in regards to accoustics, particularly in regards to CDs.
Right now, in my living room, I have my sub including its legs, about 2" off the carpeted floor
on heavy duty isolation pads to try to minimize the sound to the apartment below. The sub actually sounds very good this way. It is also in an open type area with its back to open space not a wall. If I move and don't have to worry about the apartment below, am I best putting the sub directly on the carpet, in regards to getting a better sound or should I stick to this set up?

In my bedroom, because of the way the room is set up, unfortunately, I have the sub about a foot in front of a wall. I had to use a different sub then the one I had in the living room, because that sub was too loud for the set up accoustically. Will I have that same problem with any room where I have to put a sub a foot or so in front of a wall in a closed in type area, or is it just a matter of trial & error, in some apartments with a wall in a closed in type area, I won't have that problem & others I will?

topspeed
05-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Read this thread from Richard Greene and after that, do a search with his name and read everything he has to say. He knows more about subs than you and I will ever forget.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2461

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Read this thread from Richard Greene and after that, do a search with his name and read everything he has to say. He knows more about subs than you and I will ever forget.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2461

I really miss Doc. Greene. I miss my mentor alot:(

EdwardGein
05-23-2006, 12:34 PM
If anyone has a system in their bedroom or den where is it located? I.E. 2 feet in front of a wall, 3 feet in front of a wall, to the right of where your front speakers are, too the left, what have you. I'll try to take a photo later of my set up if that'll help articulate this better.

kexodusc
05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
If anyone has a system in their bedroom or den where is it located? I.E. 2 feet in front of a wall, 3 feet in front of a wall, to the right of where your front speakers are, too the left, what have you. I'll try to take a photo later of my set up if that'll help articulate this better.

The best place for a bedroom subwoofer is usually the center of the room. Under the bed usually...put the bed on some cinder blocks to raise it. Some people cite excellent results putting it in the closet to create a closet resonator system. I haven't tried that.
If those aren't viable for you, try placing it on the wall closest to the largest window...preferably the east side of the room. You don't want the back of the sub less than 6 inches from the wall, but you don't want the front of the sub more than 12 inches from the wall. Might have to turn it sideways. Lucky for us bedrooms usually aren't that big anyway.

N. Abstentia
05-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Please no. I don't think we want to see your bedroom.