Ht- Trouble [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ht- Trouble

s dog
05-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I have a denon 4800 receiver and a sonance 120 watts 2ch power amp. I have the power amp running my main speakes and the denon running center side surrounds and back surrounds, I have klipsch speakers all the way around, The problem is when i turn up the volume when playing a dvd the main speakers start breaking up and sounding like heck and with music they sound like they are going to blow apart at higher volumes only, now im not talking about insane volume or anything like that. So what i did was unhook the power amp and hook the main speakers to the denon and everything sounded just fine so my ? is has anyone ever heard of a power amp acting like this, and does it cost alot to get them worked on, it only does it at higher volumes and is much more noticeable with music, the amp is 2 years old cost me about $500.00 bucks new.Im not sure if there is any warranty left on it. not sure what to do with it.

bfalls
05-22-2006, 05:09 AM
How are you connecting the amp to your receiver? For the amp to sound bad one of two things could be happening, (1) the amp is bad, so anything you feed into it will come out bad, or (2) your source to the amp is bad and the amp is only amplifying what it's receiving.

If the amp is bad, it could be caused by a number of things, bad power supply, drivers or output transistors (IC if not discrete components), bad coupling capacitor between amplifier stages. It could be expensive to fix depending on the repair shop. Shops usually charge a bench fee just to open the unit, then by the hour for troubleshooting and repair. Once you add shipping costs both ways you may be better off replacing instead of repairing.

The problem is less likely to be with the output from the receiver to the amp. Depending how you have it connected the fact it sounds fine when played entirely through the Denon means the receiver has a clean signal. If you find the problem is with the surround output jacks it may be in the interface between the receiver's processor output and its 5.1/6.1/7.1 line outs. This may be easier to find, but more difficult to repair depending how difficult it is to get to the board components. Try the amp with another source to see how it sounds.

s dog
05-22-2006, 08:03 AM
How are you connecting the amp to your receiver? For the amp to sound bad one of two things could be happening, (1) the amp is bad, so anything you feed into it will come out bad, or (2) your source to the amp is bad and the amp is only amplifying what it's receiving.

If the amp is bad, it could be caused by a number of things, bad power supply, drivers or output transistors (IC if not discrete components), bad coupling capacitor between amplifier stages. It could be expensive to fix depending on the repair shop. Shops usually charge a bench fee just to open the unit, then by the hour for troubleshooting and repair. Once you add shipping costs both ways you may be better off replacing instead of repairing.

The problem is less likely to be with the output from the receiver to the amp. Depending how you have it connected the fact it sounds fine when played entirely through the Denon means the receiver has a clean signal. If you find the problem is with the surround output jacks it may be in the interface between the receiver's processor output and its 5.1/6.1/7.1 line outs. This may be easier to find, but more difficult to repair depending how difficult it is to get to the board components. Try the amp with another source to see how it sounds.Thanks for the help, i do have a receiver in my bedroom system that has pre outs on it ,i will hook the amp up to it and see what happens, if it still sounds bad, at lest then i will know it is the amp. but you got me wandering about the out puts on the denon hope thats not what it is.If it is might just live with it the way it is running everything off the denon and wait for the new hd- receivers to come out down the road and replace the receiver then.thanks ps im hooking the amp to the receiver useing the pre outs on back of denon RCA cables