Plasma Lift or Retractible Projection Screen? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Lift or Retractible Projection Screen?

Tahoe Gator
05-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I plan to have a plasma TV and projection screen on the same wall: the plasma for daytime (lots of windows) and regular use and the projector for 'movie night', etc. One has to get out of the way of the other, so my plan was to have a retractible projector screen drop in front of the plasma. But it seems that roll up screens can (do?) get wavy over time, and they are not so cheap anyway. So, I thought, why not have the plasma drop into a cabinet? It seems it could be a wash cost wise if I do a DIY screen (like Goo or something) and build the cabinet myself (I had planned to for that location anyway). Am I mad? Should I just use a drop down screen and not worry?

edtyct
05-20-2006, 03:19 PM
The question that occurs to me is why use a plasma for daylight viewing? Plasmas don't normally have enough brightness for that purpose; they are definitely better in low light situations.

Tahoe Gator
05-20-2006, 03:21 PM
as compared to what? not sure you are right about that, definitely better than DLP. anyhow, I'd prefer not redirect the discussion to that topic

edtyct
05-20-2006, 06:22 PM
No need to redirect. I'll say this, and we can be done with it. You can get a plasma to reach a brightness level that will survive daylight, but running it that hard isn't good for the life of the cells or for the viewing condition of the screen. You can drive an LCD harder without the same kind of problems. Some LCDs are so bright that they'll stand up to light without any extra push. But LCDs aren't for everybody. DLPs aren't exactly shrinking violets when it comes to brightness either, and they too can survive a little extra zetz in daylight.

AVMASTER
05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
first of all you need to forego a plasma and use LCD; the cost of a lift would exceed that of a manual pull-down screen and with good quality material weighted at the bottom, you should not have to worry about the screen becoming " wavy ". IMHO the room itself is wrong for a front projector; why not consider a 70" LCOS microdisplay?

Tahoe Gator
05-21-2006, 06:22 PM
good point. add up the cost of the plasma, the projector and the screen, I might be better off with a big-ass something else...

AVMASTER
05-22-2006, 09:27 AM
if you consider the space ( pop-up cabinet) and cost ( cabinet material, pop-up display, projector, screen, cabling, etc..) , a 70" JVC LCOS microdisplay would be several grand less and the new 1080p pro series would handle a big-bright family room easily.........

ImportAdvantage
03-20-2009, 06:00 AM
TV Lifts have come way down in price. If you decide you want to build one, feel free to call/email me. We have been building lifts for 10+ years and know the ins and outs.
http://www.ImportAdvantage.com

pixelthis
03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
two grand is still too high.
Best bet would be a DLP, or maybe light control.
One other thing, plasma is a tube with gas in it, dont want to move that on a regular
basis, LCD would be best for a lift.
Me, I would forgo the lift. Mount on a wall, with a screen that comes down, and a DLP projector.
Since the wall screen is for casual use you might want an LCD, its better in daylight
anyway.
Worry about screen problems when and if they appear, most are quite long lasting:1:

Kevio
03-20-2009, 04:58 PM
If you make this work with projector only you're going to save money and reduce complexity. With the money you save, you can buy a better projector and advanced screen. A projector with zoom capability will allow you to make the image smaller and brighter during the day and cinematic at night.

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2009, 05:00 PM
This is hilarious. This thread was over three years ago, ImportAdvantage is a spammer, and pix bought it hook line & sinker. :lol:

(RR6, Kevio, check the original post date.)

RoadRunner6
03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
(RR6 check the original post date.)

Post? .......... What post? :mad2:

pixelthis
03-21-2009, 06:29 PM
This is hilarious. This thread was over three years ago, ImportAdvantage is a spammer, and pix bought it hook line & sinker. :lol:

(RR6, Kevio, check the original post date.)

Who cares?
You can still inform people.
Notice I am not the only one who responded to this.
You are so full of vitriol and hatred its really affecting your judgement.
You never were relevant, never had anything to say, since you dont know anything,
except maybe how to be a pissant.
Yeah, I saw the date on the post, about the last time you got any, eh?
You can tell.:1:

OH, BTW I do know a spammer when I see one, at least hes offering a service,
instead of a bunch of kiddy crap from the fifth grade, where your personal development
seems to be stuck

f0rge
03-23-2009, 06:47 AM
despite the necroposting, pixx actually gave pretty good advice...

Rich-n-Texas
03-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Who cares?
You can still inform people.
Notice I am not the only one who responded to this.
You are so full of vitriol and hatred its really affecting your judgement.
You never were relevant, never had anything to say, since you dont know anything,
except maybe how to be a pissant.
Yeah, I saw the date on the post, about the last time you got any, eh?
You can tell.:1:
You just described yourself to this community to a tee dumbass. Who's full of vitrol and hatred? That's been your posting style since day one. Are you next going to make remarks about my mother? You have a history in that regard as well, remember dumbass?

OH, BTW I do know a spammer when I see one, at least hes offering a service,
instead of a bunch of kiddy crap from the fifth grade, where your personal development
seems to be stuck
He's SHILLING his service you dumbass. Not allowed on most websites.

pixelthis
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
You just described yourself to this community to a tee dumbass. Who's full of vitrol and hatred? That's been your posting style since day one. Are you next going to make remarks about my mother? You have a history in that regard as well, remember dumbass?

He's SHILLING his service you dumbass. Not allowed on most websites.

Troll morons like you arent allowed on most websites.
NO REMARKS about your mother, enough of that down at the VFW club.
And why are you on this thread anyway?:1: