new receiver and sub to go with my atoms!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new receiver and sub to go with my atoms!!!

audio_dude
05-20-2006, 07:11 AM
hey guys, I just visited my local audio/video store and was looking at some audio equipment to compliment my atoms,

(BTW, i bought my atoms at this store)

ok, I can get a paradigm PD8 subwoofer for $300 CND, $345 with taxes.

and I can get a Denon DRA-295 receiver for the same price.

what do you think of this setup, I also plan to use this stores trade up program to get a pair of Mini monitors later next year...

hifitommy
05-21-2006, 08:42 AM
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=3958720&JRSource=google.datafeed.DNN+DRA295

same receiver for $249 from j and r.

ohterwise, 50wpc is fine and denon products are likewise.

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm in canada man, $300 is a pretty damn good price up here....lol

ya, i'm not really asking about finding a better price, i'm just asking if those are good components!

hifitommy
05-21-2006, 08:57 AM
a receiver is a good way to go. i dont see that that one has a phono section which may not present a problem for you now but if you decide to got that way, you would have to buy a phono section.

later on, you may consider separate components as they are usually made and sound better, and changing an amp while keeping the same preamp is an option. anyway, for now, you have made a good choice, enjoy.

upgrading comes when you deem it necessary and when the dollars, canadian or otherwise, are more abundant.

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 09:05 AM
no phono!?! hmm....that sucks, i love my records...hmm....

but hey, my dads got a nice big stereo on the main floor with a turntable, i can use that, so unless anyone else has more suggestions,

anyone comments on the sub?

hifitommy
05-21-2006, 10:26 AM
are well regarded, and seem a good match for the atoms. have you checked out the outlaw stereo receiver? more money but realy good for the money and has been enthusiastically reviewed:

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw/

it has a phono section.

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 10:55 AM
I've looked for those I and I can't find a dealer in canada...

oh, and when you find an american price, add 15% to get the canadian price, then 15% again to get the total price with tax, and no, you can't just add 30%,

(lazy americans...)

hifitommy
05-21-2006, 11:03 AM
i am originally from buffalo and am a fan of the comet coaster at crystal beach. i used to smuggle firecrackers in the lining of my coat and walk across the peace bridge with them.

outlaw is only online sales, an i dont know what it would cost there for the outlaw. check it out.

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 11:07 AM
hmm...I will, but the problem is, for most thing to be shipped to canada, we pay massive charges, like sometimes close to $50 bucks, then we pay tax at the door, it ends up costing almost half of what you ordered!

and good to see another canuck here! (well, sorta) paradigm producs are all made in canada from parts manufactured in canada (mostly)

Mark111867
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
For a receiver, what about the NAD C720BEE? Good luck with whatever you choose.

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 11:54 AM
thats prices a little too high for me, i've looked at it...i'm thinking i should go with the denon...

still, anybody with opinions as to the sub?

emorphien
05-21-2006, 12:16 PM
You can buy my Onkyo TX8211 :p

jrhymeammo
05-21-2006, 12:19 PM
How big is your room? PDR-8 doesnt do much. I used to own PRD-8,10, 12 PS-1000, 1200 and my current PW 2200. You should be able to upgrade for no charge within 30 days or something thru your dealer, and that is exactly what I did. Go with a 8, then to maybe 10 or 12 if you are not satisfied, plus maybe you'll have more money during your trial period. Sub to me has no tonal quality but I hated PS serious for music cuz, good impacts on movies though. The price you listed for 8 sounds a bit high, but the last time I shopped for a sub was over 4 years ago.

N. Abstentia
05-21-2006, 12:53 PM
(lazy americans...)

HEY I don't appreci....ahh hell I don't feel like finishing this

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 02:17 PM
first thing, yes, my dealer has a one year trade up program, i'm going to trade my atoms for a set of mini monitors later next year, but ya, I think that a good Idea....and second of all, i'm in canada, so $300 is 50 bucks less than the standard price here, cause i'm a returning customer, i'm probably going to ask for a deal to get both the receiver and sub in a package...

also, i'm probably going to ask them to set up the atoms/PD8 sub/receiver together so I can hear it...

oh, and I don't like onkyo, second, it would probably cost more to ship it here than to buy a new one :P

jrhymeammo
05-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Paradigm dealers have power to cut you a deal up to like 10% off retail price. Remember that retail business is struggling, so find a web dealer that ships for free at lower cost, or call other dealers within 2-250 km radius and get a quote. They'll try to BS you about Web Dealer can't offer factory warranty if sold under retail price. Also, make an offer to pay with cash instead of American Express. I once sat at a local hifi store 1 on 1 for 45 minutes and saved 30% OFF!!!!!!!!

-JRA

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 04:33 PM
yup, I saved $65 when I bought my atoms, and thats a whole lot more than 10%.

I like to visit a store multiple times, audio stores like to see cash, don't show it to them, and if your real budget is $500, tell them its like $400, youre likely to get a better deal on the item you want...

IMO, best thing is to make their jobs easy, say nice things, bring your own music, muse about upgrading to a higher model later on...they'll probably cut the price so that they can make you a returning customer...