Swish, anyone, tell me about The Tin Angel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Swish, anyone, tell me about The Tin Angel

Hyfi
05-20-2006, 06:38 AM
FA just clued me in on a few Rik Emmett shows at the Tin Angel in Nov.

What's the place like? Thier food looks pretty good from the online menu. Hard to get an idea of the place from the pics.

How is the seating? Parking?

TIA,

Hyfi

richmon
05-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Caught acoustic Strawbs there about two years ago, my first TAngel concert. It holds approx 100 people, an intimate small venue experience. The stage is only 3 feet high so you're practically on stage with the band. There's general seating which is bar stools with a wall mounted strip bar that's vaguely comfortable, depending on your tolerance for backless wooden stools for two hours. An attentive waitress with regular grogs was a nice feature.
The best seats are at tables that are reserved for those that have dined there that evening. I hear the foods good,, not great. There's alot of competition for diners dollars in that neighborhood, we ate at an Indian Fusion resteraunt across the street, name eludes me. Parking is at the local pay lots, street parking is competitive there, but you might get lucky.
Me? next time I'll supp there to get the better seats. Closer and more comfortable.
Recomend the Flying Fish ESB, which they had on tap when I was there. Dave Cousins quaffed six or eight of those too, and commented on their tastyness.
Enjoy and consider the acoustic Strawbs if they come back this fall, a good show.

ForeverAutumn
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Caught acoustic Strawbs there about two years ago, my first TAngel concert. It holds approx 100 people, an intimate small venue experience....

It sounds a lot like a place in Toronto that we go to called Hugh's Room. The food is decent, not great, but it's the price you pay to get good seats. We saw Al Stewart there and he wasn't more than six feet away from us. The same when we saw Chris Smither. We've seen Rik Emmett there on a couple of occasions and, IMO, it's the best kind of venue to see him in...intimate and up close.

The Strawbs played three nights there a couple of years ago. It was probably the same tour that you saw them play. We didn't make that show. But thanks for the heads up. We'll try to check them out if they come back.

Hyfi, I highly recommend the Rik Emmett show. If you haven't seen him perform, you'll love it. Trust me. :ihih:

Hyfi
05-22-2006, 03:27 AM
Hyfi, I highly recommend the Rik Emmett show. If you haven't seen him perform, you'll love it. Trust me. :ihih:

Well, I can say I have seen Rik perform once.....in 78 with Triumph....Blinding Light Show...wireles while Rik meandered all over the Tower theater and balcony while playing.

Looks like it may be dinner and a show.

Thanks Richmon & FA.

Swish
05-22-2006, 05:53 AM
FA just clued me in on a few Rik Emmett shows at the Tin Angel in Nov.

What's the place like? Thier food looks pretty good from the online menu. Hard to get an idea of the place from the pics.

How is the seating? Parking?

TIA,

Hyfi

...except I've never been there. I've heard good things about it though, but you may want to check them out at http://www.tinangel.com/

Let me know how it goes!

Swish

newtrix1
05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I've seen three shows at the Tin Angel (Francis Dunnery, Cheryl Wheeler & Hem). Richmons description is right on; very cozy setting, in fact you'll likely be sharing a small table with other people for the show. It's cool though, everyone's friendly & in a good mood. Tix are cheap, generally <$20 and you are just several feet from the performers. The music venue is upstairs and the restaurant (a different name than the Tin Angel) is on the 1st floor. Food is Mediteranean and I always liked what I've gotten. It's a bit tough to find the first time, so give yourself some extra time to park & walk.
Surely a place to check out!