sub placement question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sub placement question

RoyY51
05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Well, tomorrow's the big day...I'm moving all the equiptment into the dedicated HT room. I'm hoping to get a couple of opinions before tomorrow morning. The front wall (where the TV and main speakers will go) is 9' 6" wide. The left wall is 8' high, and the right wall is 7'. My question is this: theoretically, on which side would the subwoofer sound best? Now, I realize that the logical thing would be to try both sides and leave it where it sounds the best. However, this beast weighs almost 60 lbs so I would initially like to place it where it (theoretically again) has the best chance of being in the optimum position. If It sounds good there, I will have saved my back from any further abuse, and will have a better chance of getting lucky later on with my happy-to-get-him-out-of-the-middle-of-the-house wife.

Any and all opinions, theories or best guesses will be very much appreciated.

RoyY51
05-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Ok, I'll settle for an uneducated guess. Maybe a coin flip? Anybody have a oujia board?

audio amateur
05-20-2006, 05:04 AM
I would set it in the corner next to the smaller wall, but this is only, as you say it, very theoretical. I wouldn't be bothered enough to not place it in both locations. Heck, it's 60lbs and the distants is only 9 feet.

RoyY51
05-20-2006, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't be bothered either if I wasn't an old man with a bad back who also has to move a 200 lb. RPTV into the same room, along with a 40 lb. receiver, 6 speakers with stands, component rack, assorted other "black boxes" (my wife's terminology) and then wire them all together. At the end of the day, I'll be lucky if I can still walk. Or breathe.

L.J.
05-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Here's (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=15743) a popular method for sub placement.

You can also purchase a SPL meter, test CD and measure which location has the flattest response.

Or you can always flip that coin.:ciappa:

RoyY51
05-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Crawling for subwoofer location? CRAWLING? You want an old guy like me to crawl around the room? Why not just shoot me and be done with it?

Seriously, it does sound like a intriguing idea. If I can't figure it out any other way, I'll probably borrow my neighbor's knee pads (I think she's a party hostess of some kind) and give it a try. I would, however, still be interested in hearing any short wall vs. tall wall theories that you, or anyone else might have.

Thanks!

musicman1999
05-20-2006, 09:07 AM
roy

i see by your equipment list that you have two subs.This will complicate the set up.The link L.J. provided is the best way to set up a sub,works perfectly,i set up my own and 2 other systems with great results,but 2 subs will make it a little tougher.

bill