Planar newbie question about placement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Planar newbie question about placement

nightflier
05-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I just ordered a pair of Magnepan MMG-W's. I figured at the price, there's little competition, and if they don't work out, I'll use them in another room. Now these are designed to be placed on the wall and will use the wall for expanding the soundfield (correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology). What I'm worried about is that they don't have a lot up top or below. I can use a sub for the bass, but there's little to be done in the high frequencies.

Now my main motivation is that they are wall-mountable. My question is: are any of the other Maggies wall-mountable by using the same reflection method as the MMG-W's? If not, are there any other planar speakers that are? Any recommendations?

Feanor
05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
I just ordered a pair of Magnepan MMG-W's. I figured at the price, there's little competition, and if they don't work out, I'll use them in another room. Now these are designed to be placed on the wall and will use the wall for expanding the soundfield (correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology). What I'm worried about is that they don't have a lot up top or below. I can use a sub for the bass, but there's little to be done in the high frequencies.

Now my main motivation is that they are wall-mountable. My question is: are any of the other Maggies wall-mountable by using the same reflection method as the MMG-W's? If not, are there any other planar speakers that are? Any recommendations?

I'd like to know how it is that the MMG-W's work against the wall in the first place :confused5: , much less whether other Magneplanars can be used this way. (They cannot.)

Pure guess would be (1) highs are purposely limited to prevent dopler effect of short wave length bouncing off the wall and interfering with each other, and (2) bass is limited due to bass cancellation by the wall reflection. But I'd like to know the really answer !!

GMichael
05-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I'd like to know how it is that the MMG-W's work against the wall in the first place :confused5: , much less whether other Magneplanars can be used this way. (They cannot.)

Pure guess would be (1) highs are purposely limited to prevent dopler effect of short wave length bouncing off the wall and interfering with each other, and (2) bass is limited due to bass cancellation by the wall reflection. But I'd like to know the really answer !!

In their website it says that they can be mounted to the wall. But should be pulled about 30 degrees away for best sound. They can then be turned back flat for storing them out of the way.

I would also like to know if the mounting brackets can be used on the larger models. I was planning on asking them when the time finally comes for me. Would like to mount the MMG-W's on the ceilling hanging down into the room. Another question for them. Can the mounts be locked so that they hang down from the ceilling at the 30 degrees?

nightflier
05-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Would like to mount the MMG-W's on the ceilling hanging down into the room. Another question for them. Can the mounts be locked so that they hang down from the ceilling at the 30 degrees?

Feanor, here's the website link with some decent pics:

http://www.magneplanar.com/_mmgw.php

GM, are you thinking of mounting them horizontally? I know that the hinges cannot be locked. I suppose you could drill screws in the hinges, but then they would have to stay that way. I also don't think they will disperse the sound properly when mounted horizontally. If you were to mount them vertically and use a wall for reflection, I suppose that would work, but they would have to be fairly close to a wall, and then, why not just mount them to the wall?

They do have a center channel that is designed to be mounted horizontally, and I suppose it could be mounted to the ceilling for certain HT environments (with ceiling-mounted screens, maybe). It does not use the back wall for reflection and instead is slightly curved to disperse the sound that way. It certainly would seem to be a better solution than a in-ceilling center channel; I never heard one that sounded half-way decent considering it's importance in a surround setup.

GMichael
05-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Feanor, here's the website link with some decent pics:

http://www.magneplanar.com/_mmgw.php

GM, are you thinking of mounting them horizontally? I know that the hinges cannot be locked. I suppose you could drill screws in the hinges, but then they would have to stay that way. I also don't think they will disperse the sound properly when mounted horizontally. If you were to mount them vertically and use a wall for reflection, I suppose that would work, but they would have to be fairly close to a wall, and then, why not just mount them to the wall?

They do have a center channel that is designed to be mounted horizontally, and I suppose it could be mounted to the ceilling for certain HT environments (with ceiling-mounted screens, maybe). It does not use the back wall for reflection and instead is slightly curved to disperse the sound that way. It certainly would seem to be a better solution than a in-ceilling center channel; I never heard one that sounded half-way decent considering it's importance in a surround setup.

Yeah, I was. My plan is to have 1.6's as mains and the MMG W's as surounds. I have no wall on the right side to mount a speaker too. I already have a ceilling mount for the Infinity. I was hoping that on it's side the MMG W's are wider than the area we sit in so the dispersion would not be a problem. The rears and mains would still be vertical.

Geoffcin
05-19-2006, 03:21 PM

I have used both full range floorstanders & modest standmounts for surround speakers, and in my opinion a full range speaker is wasted for surround duty. Even with multi-channel music, fully 90% of the acoustic energy is output by the front three speakers. Surround speakers exsist to creat spatial cues, and for that you don't need a speaker capable of 20-20.

nightflier
05-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Geof,

I know the MMG-W's are geared toward HT & surround, but I'm interested in just owning a pair to use them in a stereo configuration. I will be replacing floor-standers so my expectations may be a bit high, but I can accept some trade-offs if the sound is everything I have read about them.

Now I don't think the MMG-W's are my cup of tea because of the 100Hz-16KHz. frequency response, but I thought I would try them anyway. At $300, they just can't be that bad and you can't really get a decent pair of speakers at CC or BB for that anymore. Anyhow, Magnepan offers the option to upgrade if these don't meet my needs.

The next model up, the MMG, will do 40Hz-24KHz. So I may settle on those. Does anyone know if these use the back wall for dipole sound dispersion like the smaller MMG-W's do? If so they could be mounted against the wall as well. Does anyone own a pair and if so, how do they sound when they are up against the wall?

I've never owned planar speakers, so this is all new to me. I can't wait to hear them.

Geoffcin
05-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Geof,

I know the MMG-W's are geared toward HT & surround, but I'm interested in just owning a pair to use them in a stereo configuration. I will be replacing floor-standers so my expectations may be a bit high, but I can accept some trade-offs if the sound is everything I have read about them.

Now I don't think the MMG-W's are my cup of tea because of the 100Hz-16KHz. frequency response, but I thought I would try them anyway. At $300, they just can't be that bad and you can't really get a decent pair of speakers at CC or BB for that anymore. Anyhow, Magnepan offers the option to upgrade if these don't meet my needs.

The next model up, the MMG, will do 40Hz-24KHz. So I may settle on those. Does anyone know if these use the back wall for dipole sound dispersion like the smaller MMG-W's do? If so they could be mounted against the wall as well. Does anyone own a pair and if so, how do they sound when they are up against the wall?

I've never owned planar speakers, so this is all new to me. I can't wait to hear them.

Or the MC1. For a main speaker your going to want something that can cover the full treble frequency. The bass is easily routed to the sub, so that doesn't matter nearly as much.

Rick Vansloneker
05-21-2006, 01:11 PM
MMG's sound back and front like all planar speakers do. You cannot mount them on a wall. The mylar might hit the wall and become damaged. What the acoustical energy will do to them I don't know. Close to a wall you'll miss much of the speakers potential. But for $550,00 MMG's are the best thing you can buy. According to our planar-guru ;) they are a bit small for good low frequencies but I believe as an entry in the planar world still a good choice. And if you like them you can upgrade them on Magnepan's conditions.

slbenz
05-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Like Geoffcin said, the other Magnepan that is designed for wall mounting is the MC1. If you do try the MMG, here is a link where someone mounted them MMGW style to their wall.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/BrianBennett/

You could e-mail him and ask how they sound on the wall. Also, the MMGs only go down to 50Hz not 40Hz. If you don't want to mount speakers to your wall for the rear channels, the MMGs are light enough to be moved into the correct position. I currently use Magnepan 1.5s as rear surrounds and move them into place when I want to watch movies or listen to my DVD-Audio or SACD recordings. If you do go for a wall mounted Magnepans, the MC1s have much more air than the MMGWs due to the quasi-ribbon tweeter in the MC1.

Slbenz

nightflier
05-22-2006, 02:57 PM
SL,

Interesting link. I emailed him to ask about any refelctions from the corners. Regarding the MC1's, these look more like what I'm looking for and they are not too expensive. They only go down to 80Hz., but unlike the MMG-W's, they go up to 24KHz, which is a noticeable difference according to several reviewers.

GMichael
05-22-2006, 04:04 PM
SL,

Interesting link. I emailed him to ask about any refelctions from the corners. Regarding the MC1's, these look more like what I'm looking for and they are not too expensive. They only go down to 80Hz., but unlike the MMG-W's, they go up to 24KHz, which is a noticeable difference according to several reviewers.

The MC1's seem like a nice choice. I think they are $750 a pair. But I would go with the MMG's at $550 a pair and go from 50Hz to 24KHz.

slbenz
05-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Nightflier,

If you had to choose between the MMGWs and the MC1s for wall mounted Magnepans, I would definitely go with the MC1s. Much better highs, more detailed sound and easier to integrate with a subwoofer. At my local Magnepan dealer, Stereo Unlimited in Walnut Creek, CA, they modify MC1s by adding a high-end Linaeum dipole supertweeter which to my ears sound better than a stock pair of Magnepan 3.6s in the mids and highs. As the other posted said, MC1s go for $750 a pair. The modified pair with supertweeter would be double the stock price but at least is less expensive than the 3.6s.

Slbenz

nightflier
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I just noticed that Magnepan does not offer a special introductory deal on the MC1's. That's too bad. I think I will try the MMG's after I audition the MMG-W's. I may actually keep both as I can think of several places I could use the MMG-W's in my home.

Just wondering, how well do these pannel speakers stand up to being shipped? I mean if Magnepan is taking trade-ins, I might get stuck with a pair of pre-owned, multi-shipped, pannels. From my experience shipping framed pictures, I know that this is always risky.

Rick Vansloneker
05-26-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure you get a pair of brand new panels from the factory. What they do with traded in panels I don't know. Are many traded in anyway?

GMichael
05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
They also have a program where you can send in your old damages speakers to be fixed up good as new. I'm sure that any returns they get are looked over closely and repaired if needed.

nightflier
05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
...Are many traded in anyway?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything by suggesting that any were traded in...

But if any are, I wouldn't mind knowing how to buy some (those MG 16's with the true ribbon tweeters seem pretty nice :cornut: )

GMichael
05-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything by suggesting that any were traded in...

But if any are, I wouldn't mind knowing how to buy some (those MG 16's with the true ribbon tweeters seem pretty nice :cornut: )

You must mean to say the 3.6's. Yeah, I heard a pair. Very nice.

Rick Vansloneker
05-27-2006, 06:59 AM
The MMGs traded in are I guess handled by Magnepan since it is their special program. What they do with it I don't know.
Traded in Magnepans at audio stores often are sold als pre-owned. Your chance to find a nice pair at a moderate price.