Anybody spring for Blu Ray or HD-DVD yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody spring for Blu Ray or HD-DVD yet?

Mr Peabody
05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I was just wondering if anyone leaped at the chance to be one of the first to have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. If so, what are your thoughts and impressions? Do you find it a big difference over Progressive Scan 480p? Any difference in sound? Also, some comments on features and functions.

I haven't been in a movie isle for quite some time, are any of the HD disc software becoming available?

It might just be my impression but I don't see this taking off very fast.

agtpunx40
05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
$500 is a little steep, a little less so when you get the benefit of having a PS3 too.

drseid
05-19-2006, 01:17 AM
I was just wondering if anyone leaped at the chance to be one of the first to have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. If so, what are your thoughts and impressions? Do you find it a big difference over Progressive Scan 480p? Any difference in sound? Also, some comments on features and functions.

I haven't been in a movie isle for quite some time, are any of the HD disc software becoming available?

It might just be my impression but I don't see this taking off very fast.

I own an HD-DVD player (HD-A1). The picture is much better than standard DVD and really looks amazing if the source material looks good to begin with. I am on the whole very happy with the format, but the 1st gen players have some quirks that still need to be ironed out before mass production can really take off. Primarily these have to do with startup time, the shoddy remote control and player freezing issues. These are not atypical of early adopter new format issues, but I would be lying if I said they are inconsequential.

Again, on the whole, I am happy, but I definitely would not recommend anyone to jump in if they are particularly averse to early adopter bugs. The good news is the machine is firmware upgradable over the Interenet via an ethernet plug, so many of the early bugs can be fixed that way over time...

As for the PS3 for Blu-ray... I may buy that too... But just as an aside, I would recommend getting the higher priced model at $599, as it is the only one with an HDMI output, and if the studios ever turn on the ICT flag the component output will not output HD picture quality (instead outputting a much lower resolution). Essentialy, Sony decided to make only the premium player really work long-term for Blu-ray movie enthusiasts, leaving the $499 model pretty much just for gamers (or those that don't mind the possible reduced resolution through the component outs later on). I may decide to wait for a combo video player early next year instead from either LG or Samsung if it sells for $1K or less, as the $599 price while fair, is a bit much since I won't use it for games.

---Dave

superpanavision70mm
05-19-2006, 03:43 AM
One word for those that already made the jump: sucker! With all the early problems that were being put out about HD-DVD it would be insane to drop money on it already and not wait for those to be worked out or for that matter wait for a machine that can handle both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. I guess there needs to be a few people make the leap in order to get the wheels turning, but I'm glad it isn't me.

PAT.P
05-19-2006, 05:50 AM
One word for those that already made the jump: sucker! With all the early problems that were being put out about HD-DVD it would be insane to drop money on it already and not wait for those to be worked out or for that matter wait for a machine that can handle both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. I guess there needs to be a few people make the leap in order to get the wheels turning, but I'm glad it isn't me.I feel the same way as you on this one.I rather wait and see whats all the rave about.Made the leap to SACD/DVD-A last year at 50% off.:16:

N. Abstentia
05-19-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm waiting for three things:

1) One format to survive.
2) Prices to come waaaay down.
3) Get some movies worth buying.

GMichael
05-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Still sitting on the fence. Waiting to see which lawn catches on fire.

L.J.
05-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Still sitting on the fence. Waiting to see which lawn catches on fire.

Dang GM! This fence is starting to get crowded. We had better pick up some more dogs and beer. :)

GMichael
05-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Dang GM! This fence is starting to get crowded. We had better pick up some more dogs and beer. :)

BBBBeer? Did someone sssay beer? Yeah yeah yeah.... I'll chip in. Who's making the run?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-19-2006, 08:19 AM

Scoot over GM and LJ, make room on this fence for me!

BadAssJazz
05-19-2006, 11:08 AM
I won't go for Blu-Ray or HD DVD, unless I absolutely HAVE TO. I am perfectly content with progressive scan quality video performance. I'd rather use that $500+ for media or to upgrade some other area of my HT system.

edtyct
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey, fellas, it may be hard to argue with fence straddling from a financial and even a technical standpoint in the case of hi def DVD. But when you sit down on that fence, watch out that you don't come down too hard on a sharp point. If one or both of the warring parties are going to survive, early adopters will certainly have played a role. And if one of the independent heavyweights (LG) comes out with a dual-format player, it ain't going to be cheap, nor necessarily fully realized. I'm not saying that everyone should pony up indiscriminately, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to discourage those who are willing, able, and informed from doing so, or to insult those who already have. Why not buy into it of you can? I think it's safe to say that most of us are into this gig to support the advancement of A/V, not to hinder it. HD-DVD won't be dropping out when Blu-Ray emerges, and neither format will persist if no one bites. In other words, it's not inconceivable that both sides could perish if early adopters don't drive a preference or create a Mexican standoff. Do you think that other likely candidates will accept the challenge if they fail?

Woochifer
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
The HD-DVD players that have come out so far seem more like glorified prototypes than finished products. What I've read so far seems to indicate that Toshiba wanted to get their players into stores first, despite numerous bugs and the incomplete state of several key features, such as full audio support, and HDMI 1.3 connectors. It will be interesting to see how many similar issues crop up with Blu-ray when the first players get introduced next month. And I would not buy into either format until after the PS3 comes out, and its impact on the market is felt.

A universal player is a definite probability because the chipsets that the HD-DVD and Blu-ray players will use already support both formats.

edtyct
05-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Wooch,

At one point, Samsung seemed to have been interested in making a universal player. For some reason, it decided instead to offer the first Blu-Ray deck. Pressure from somewhere? Apparently, LG has picked up the gauntlet.

HD newbie
05-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Spoke with one of the LG reagional managers here in canada and he said they will be coming out with a DUAL format DVD player later this year but its not going to be cheap here in canada will run around 1000-1200 bux canadian... I think I'll wait a few years till they get more DVD and the price is closer to 3-400 bux canadain thank you :)

Mr Peabody
05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
One smart thing is that they made the units upgradable via the internet. That would give some reassurance to those who do buy in early.

What's out there for movies in these formats? Any estimates on how many titles?

drseid
05-20-2006, 01:26 AM
One smart thing is that they made the units upgradable via the internet. That would give some reassurance to those who do buy in early.

What's out there for movies in these formats? Any estimates on how many titles?

There are about 18 HD-DVD titles released so far, with an average of 2-5 new titles released each week going forward for the rest of the year. Some of the more interesting movies (IMO) released so far are Unforgiven, The Last Samurai, Goodfellas, Serenity, Cinderella Man, Million Dollar Baby and Apollo 13 -- and The Fugitive is going to be released next week.

Actually not a bad opening lineup... Once the Harry Potter series, the Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption are released this Summer as planned, I will be even more of a happy camper.

In the case of Blu-ray, no titles as yet, but that makes sense as there is no player yet to play them on... Once it comes out, Sony has 9 titles to release at launch on the 20th of June (pending any delays, as Toshiba had a couple) including xXx, The Fifth Element, House of Flying Daggers, and Underworld Evolution.

With respect to the "sucker" comment... While certainly you (Superpanavision70MM) and others are entitled to feel that way, I remember being called that same word when I was one of the first to buy a Toshiba DVD player at launch. At the time, there were only two titles available (one was a nature title "Amazon Rain Forests", and one was "Russian Animation Shorts") -- a buddy of mine told me DVD had no chance and I should stick with LD. Needless to say, he isn't calling me a sucker anymore. I still keep my LD player around for sentimental reasons (and I have an LD of one of my favorite films "Le Grand Chemin" that I can't get on VHS, DVD or HD-DVD), but the format is dead. Bottom line is that sometimes risk taking pays off. After seeing HD-DVD in action, even despite the bugs, I would not go back to DVD. It may fail, but I think companies willing to push the envelope with new technology need to be encouraged to continue to do so, and as such I am willing to put up with the glitches in order to ensure the continued advancement of A/V technology... "Sucker"?... maybe,... or then again maybe not. :-)

---Dave

edtyct
05-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Doc,

You're not a sucker no matter what happens with the format. You paid your money, and your're enjoying the experience. The handwriting was always on the wall for LD; it's a wonder that it survived so long with only a handful for pioneers to support it. But those of us who rode it until the end have absolutely no regrets. It was simply replaced by a better format, although that remained to be seen in the early days of the overlap. I feel the same way about watching non-HD broadcast TV as you do about non-HD DVDs.

Ed

KaiWinters
05-20-2006, 06:37 AM
I was not going to buy one but after watching part of King Kong, fight between him and the Tyran, I have changed my mind. My local BB has their demo "pit" showing it on a plasma 1080p. Amazing picture...crap speakers so the audio was awful.
Unfortunately my tv has a top video signal of 1080i but that is a huge improvement over my dvd's native 480i signal...6 year old Pioneer via component...TV also does not have hdmi connect so I would have to use a hdmi to dvi cable and run the audio via the digital path.
I still may go for it when the price drops because wife and I are talking about replacing our tv next year for a rptv or a plasma.

robert393
05-20-2006, 08:58 AM
With respect to the "sucker" comment... While certainly you (Superpanavision70MM) and others are entitled to feel that way, I remember being called that same word when I was one of the first to buy a Toshiba DVD player at launch. ... "Sucker"?... maybe,... or then again maybe not. :-)

---Dave Dave you certainly are NOT a sucker. There are those that choose to take risk and push the envelope and watch it bend, and those that sit on the fence pointing fingers giggling. Is the "sucker" not the one still watching 480i sources (upconverted to 480p)? I haven't watched a non-HD source in a long time, and I don't think I'm the sucker.....lol!

I haven't bought the HD-DVDP....yet. But with my Sat. package I have about 30 HD channels to choose from 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. So, you could say I'm still "sitting on the fence", but I'm definately not pointing fingers or name calling you. I commend you for your choice.........I ain't far behind!!!

A previous poster stated they were waiting until their were movies "worth buying". I think the initial release of movies (http://www.projectorcentral.com/dvd_store.cfm?sub_cat_id=46) is nothing short of awesome. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the pricing on HD-DVD movie titles to be between $18.99-$23.99

Robert

GMichael
05-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Dave you certainly are NOT a sucker. There are those that choose to take risk and push the envelope and watch it bend, and those that sit on the fence pointing fingers giggling. Is the "sucker" not the one still watching 480i sources (upconverted to 480p)? I haven't watched a non-HD source in a long time, and I don't think I'm the sucker.....lol!

I haven't bought the HD-DVDP....yet. But with my Sat. package I have about 30 HD channels to choose from 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. So, you could say I'm still "sitting on the fence", but I'm definately not pointing fingers or name calling you. I commend you for your choice.........I ain't far behind!!!

A previous poster stated they were waiting until their were movies "worth buying". I think the initial release of movies (http://www.projectorcentral.com/dvd_store.cfm?sub_cat_id=46) is nothing short of awesome. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the pricing on HD-DVD movie titles to be between $18.99-$23.99

Robert

Hi Robert,

First, I don't think you are a sucker. You have the cash and enthusiasm to jump into HDDVD head first and worry about the water temp later. I say go for it. It lets the rest of us sit back to see if you come up shivering or laughing. We'll be along once we know that the water is deep enough. To the person who first used the word sucker: shame on you. You should know better.

Good to see that there are some good HD movies available at a fair price. The time will come for me too. Just not today.

I promise not to giggle while I wait.

L.J.
05-22-2006, 06:03 AM
I won't be upgrading for a few years. I plan on upgrading my TV, AVR and jumping into HD or BR or both when the time is right. Like GM stated, one person took it too far, but the rest of us simply have our own reasons for waiting.

swgiust
05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
When the Blue-Ray player is available, I hope to upgrade
my DVD player and my tv. 70" JVC D-ILA LCOS comes
to mind. (the new one coming out in July, handles 1080p)

Figure a tv that can handle 1080p and a player that can
output 1080p. Sound's like AV heaven to me.. :)

05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't think anyone is a sucker, but this guy just does not have the stomach to buy another untested piece of technology. I have a DAT player, Digital compact cassette, Beta super hifi players, all sitting in my system unused because there is nothing to play on them. I adopted early on each and every one of these technologies, and within months to a year their usefulness in my daily life was nonexistant (unlike my DVD player)

It is a industry wide conclusion that Toshiba rushed this players onto the market without much beta testing. Most of the components which make up the Toshiba are off the shelf stuff which supports the notion of a rush to market, it takes much too long to boot up, the audio is handled bery poorly thought not a diaster, and information from my friends regarding author of the disk tells me that HD-DVD will not be able to support DD-HD, Dts master audio, and a uncompressed video signal without running out of the allocated bits per second the format has. This means that in order to accomodate the highest bitrate audio, HD DVD has to compress the video more. Bluray has no such issues according to my friends, who state that during their testing of the Bluray format they were able to both audio formats highest bitrates and a uncompressed video in its pipeline with no problem.

This time I am relying on other early adopters to give me the information I need, but I will wait until LG introduces a dual format player which they say will list for between $1000-$1200. So we will see, but I am definately in the bluray camp at this point.

05-22-2006, 10:03 AM
When the Blue-Ray player is available, I hope to upgrade
my DVD player and my tv. 70" JVC D-ILA LCOS comes
to mind. (the new one coming out in July, handles 1080p)

Figure a tv that can handle 1080p and a player that can
output 1080p. Sound's like AV heaven to me.. :)

Ahh, but can your eyes resolve 1080P. In order to do so you have to sit 6ft or less from your 70", which will likely make the audio sound pretty lousy.

swgiust
05-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Ah, resolution better than you can see...
audio better than you can hear...
beer that makes you prettier than you are...

All things that make the world a better place.. :)

GMichael
05-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Ah, resolution better than you can see...
audio better than you can hear...
beer that makes you prettier than you are...

All things that make the world a better place.. :)

It does pull at the threads of reality a little.

But if you have 150"+ screen for your projecter, it make make a difference.