Newbie needs help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help!

bbodo
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm just starting towards becoming an audiophile. I have a great ear for quality and clarity but am new to this hobby. I recently inherited some amazing audio equipment from a family member. The receiver is the integrated Denon PMA-2000R. Sounds wonderful, but only 2 channels. The speakers are the real jewels. I got 2 Energy A3+2's, and 1 Energy AC-300. Also got a great Boston subwoofer. Here's my problem: I really want to get a surround sound system. I know the speakers are a good start, but I need a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and am not sure which one to get. Price is an issue and I don't want to spend too much $. For my surrounds I was thinking of getting Ascend Acoustics HTM-200's. Can anyone offer advice?

L.J.
05-18-2006, 04:51 PM
How much you looking to spend?

Lot's of nice AVR's out there for a decent price. Pioneer 1015 comes to mind for a little under $400. But that's just one example.

paul_pci
05-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Think of your budget as a pie chart. Decide on your total budget, then allocate a portion to the receiver and another portion to the speakers, etc. you might need. Typically we advise people to dedicate a good chunk of the budget to speakers as they are going to contribute most significantly to the quality of sound you hear. You can get a solid receiver, as LJ suggest beginning at $400-600.

Mr Peabody
05-18-2006, 07:35 PM
I know you said price is an issue but Cambridge Audio makes a nice HT receiver that does a good job for both music and movies. The sound I feel is a notch above the mass-market brands. They changed models not long ago and you can still find some of the old models new for around $500.00 or less. If that's out of your budget Denon I believe starts out at $199.00.

swwdts
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
You might want to check into the Pioneer 7.1 systems.

Resident Loser
05-19-2006, 05:03 AM
...I'm just starting towards becoming an audiophile...

...avoid it all costs...Audio enthusiast is OK, audiophile has the distinct possibility of morphing into audiophool...I used to be an audiophile, but now I know better...One of the earliest symptoms is using terms like: program material, inner details, mid-range bloom, etc.

Other problems begin to arise when you commit to the search for the audio version of the Holy Grail and begin accept the mythology behind it...

Signs run the gamut from using green markers on your CDs to spending thousands (yes, thousands) on interconnects and speaker wires...All that in spite of the fact that there is zero hard evidence to support nearly all such claims, which invariably rely on anecdotal accolades and word-of-mouth hooey.

Always keep in mind the law of diminishing returns and above all the phrase caveat emptor...let the buyer beware...

jimHJJ(...other than that, enjoy...good luck and good listening...)

GMichael
05-19-2006, 05:31 AM
...avoid it all costs...Audio enthusiast is OK, audiophile has the distinct possibility of morphing into audiophool...I used to be an audiophile, but now I know better...One of the earliest symptoms is using terms like: program material, inner details, mid-range bloom, etc.

Other problems begin to arise when you commit to the search for the audio version of the Holy Grail and begin accept the mythology behind it...

Signs run the gamut from using green markers on your CDs to spending thousands (yes, thousands) on interconnects and speaker wires...All that in spite of the fact that there is zero hard evidence to support nearly all such claims, which invariably rely on anecdotal accolades and word-of-mouth hooey.

Always keep in mind the law of diminishing returns and above all the phrase caveat emptor...let the buyer beware...

jimHJJ(...other than that, enjoy...good luck and good listening...)

Are you saying that I shouldn't order those ceramic lifters to keep my speaker wire from touching the floor? They're only a few hundred bucks. Why would I want my speaker wire touching the floor? Doesn't the dirt get into the wire somehow and muddy up the sound?

Resident Loser
05-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Are you saying that I shouldn't order those ceramic lifters to keep my speaker wire from touching the floor? They're only a few hundred bucks. Why would I want my speaker wire touching the floor? Doesn't the dirt get into the wire somehow and muddy up the sound?

...will only get muddy if they also get wet...and if they get wet I'd guess you may have bigger problems (at the very least an incontinent doggie perhaps) than those that may be audio related...Besides dirt and dust will only make things tend to sound dry and clinical...

jimHJJ(...at least that's my best anecdotal guess...)

CWM7128@AOL.COM
05-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I am new here but could not resist, in a past life I was the receiver in bankruptcy of an electrical contracting firm. While having work performed by one of the electircians he wrapped my cabbled in a product, which is aavilble at most electical supply houses, that is water tight, I do not remeber the name but it doesnt not require professional installation, collects the wires into one coil and protects them for relatively short money. Far cheaper than the tiles you are discussing. Please forgive the intrusion.

GMichael
05-19-2006, 08:54 AM
I am new here but could not resist, in a past life I was the receiver in bankruptcy of an electrical contracting firm. While having work performed by one of the electircians he wrapped my cabbled in a product, which is aavilble at most electical supply houses, that is water tight, I do not remeber the name but it doesnt not require professional installation, collects the wires into one coil and protects them for relatively short money. Far cheaper than the tiles you are discussing. Please forgive the intrusion.

Hi, welcome to AR. Intrude away. We like it.
By saying "in a past life" you mean "long ago, at another job" right? Right?

RL,

We do get flooding from time to time. Ever see what water does to a speaker cabnet made of partical board? Not good.

bbodo,

Sorry to have pulled your thread so far off coarse. Did you have a budget? There are many knowlegable members who can help you out here. But they'll need some numbers.

Mike

CWM7128@AOL.COM
05-19-2006, 09:31 AM
in a past life means before I had to work about half a month just to pay alimony, and I have sole custody of the kids

Chuck

Resident Loser
05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
RL,We do get flooding from time to time. Ever see what water does to a speaker cabnet made of partical board? Not good.Mike

...bigger problems...

Re: wet speakers...are you familiar with the Canadian cereal product Wheatabix?

jimHJJ(...as they used to say at Weller, the soldering gun folks, keep your tip nuts tight and have a good weekend...)

bbodo
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I should have been more specific. Here are me goals:
1. I don't need anything more than a 5.1 system due to the size of my living room.
2. I would like to stay at around < $300 for said receiver.
3. I'm thinking about Harman Kardon, Onkyo, or Pioneer. Suggestions?
4. Is it common for a 5.1 or 7.1 system to sound weak? My 2 channel Denon really packs a whallop, but when I sample surround sound systems they sound weak and distant. I don't feel like I should have to sacrifice this.
5. And what do you guys think about my choice of speakers? Am I dilluted in thinking their high quality?
Thanks.

audio_dude
05-20-2006, 06:55 AM
have you though about denon?

they has some 5.1/6.1/7.1 receivers availible for under $300. my local audio/video shop has 2 for about $320 canadian dollars, that about...hmm, lets see about $285, which should fit ur budget nicely

swwdts
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
That is a great price ! I will check into that.

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 06:55 AM
here, I found a 7.1 receiver from denon for $299.99 usd, check it out, they make nice products http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2120.asp