Looking to Upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Upgrade

relayer
05-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a pair of Quad 22L's and I am looking to upgrade. Has anybody heard the Proac Studio 140's? I just auditioned Von Schweikert VR2's. Awesome soundstage and imaging. Budget is $2500 new or used. Any suggestions?:idea:

Mtbrider
05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
If you wouldn't mind sharing, what is it about the Quads that you don't like? What equipment are you using them with?

Florian
05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Depends on room acoustics, electronics, powerfiltering etc....

Details please :)

relayer
05-19-2006, 08:08 AM
I have to keep the speakers fairly close to the back wall (18"). It is a fairly small room (12x18) and is not a dedicated listening room. Since the Proac has a bottom port I thought it might help the bass and make it easier to place the speakers. (Plus I have the upgrade bug)

PS Audio HCA-2
PS Audio GCP 200
Cairn Fog W/Upsampling
PS Audio Power Ports
PS Audio UPC 200
Quad 22L
Signal Cable Silver Reference Balanced Interconnects

topspeed
05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Nice gear. I'd think the VR2's would be an excellent match for the HCA2 as they are very fast with extraordinary dynamics. That would be a heckuva rig IMO. What don't you like about the VSA's? Also, you do realize you can get used 4jr's for around $3k, right? If you liked the VR2's, wait till you hear the 4jr's. Conversely, if you can't make the stretch, don't listen to the jr's!

Other speakers worth auditioning that should work with your postitioning and room size would be the Gallo Ref3, Paradigm Studio 100v3, or Vandersteen 2ce's. JM Lab's Profile series should fall into your price range, but I haven't heard them yet.

Hope this helps.

relayer
05-19-2006, 09:52 AM
I thought the VR2's were great. With a rear firing port I figured I would have the same placement problem I am having with the Quads