Help - Building Home Audio System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help - Building Home Audio System

clunette
05-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Need some advice: We have a living room that is approximate 20 x 40. We have a Toshiba 72HM195. My audio components sound good, but we have decided to upgrade all but the speakers that my hubby cannot part with. He has four Paradox tower speakers. Each tower has 6 speakers. They are 4ohm @ 100w each. So, the new system will have to incorporate these speakers. My receiver pushes them, but not to full potentional like the old Marantz did. I would like to go ahead & upgrade it also. I have been looking at a few different brands, HK & Onkyo. Circuit City says Onkyo is better and that the HK's are known to get overheated if you are putting in an entertainment center. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am also going to ad a sub. Never had one before, but I figured why not. The Onkyo speaker system is not good though. I have looked at Polk, Infinity, etc. No decision there yet either. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what it would take receiver, sub, center etc to be able to keep the existing Paradox towers.

Thanks,

clunette

GMichael
05-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Need some advice: We have a living room that is approximate 20 x 40. We have a Toshiba 72HM195. My audio components sound good, but we have decided to upgrade all but the speakers that my hubby cannot part with. He has four Paradox tower speakers. Each tower has 6 speakers. They are 4ohm @ 100w each. So, the new system will have to incorporate these speakers. My receiver pushes them, but not to full potentional like the old Marantz did. I would like to go ahead & upgrade it also. I have been looking at a few different brands, HK & Onkyo. Circuit City says Onkyo is better and that the HK's are known to get overheated if you are putting in an entertainment center. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am also going to ad a sub. Never had one before, but I figured why not. The Onkyo speaker system is not good though. I have looked at Polk, Infinity, etc. No decision there yet either. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what it would take receiver, sub, center etc to be able to keep the existing Paradox towers.

Thanks,

clunette

Hi, Welcome to AR.

I don't know about Onkyo being "better" than HK. They both have their nitch. The HK's would be better at driving 4 ohm speakers but the Onkyo have good quality as well.
What receiver do you have now? Does it have pre-outs? If so, you may just want to add an external amp or two instead of replacing it.
There are many good subs available. The SVS advertised on this site have a good rep. I like the sub kits available from Parts Express if you or hubby like putting things together yourself. If not, they will assemble them for you (for a fee).
I'd go with this one for a room as big as yours. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-764

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=25&ObjectGroup_ID=620

L.J.
05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Clunette,

What's your budget?

Mr Peabody
05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
It will be difficult to find a center channel to match the towers you have. You could use 2 for front and one or both of the other pair for center if you can find placement. It has been my experience that the 3 front speakers should definitely be voice, or timbre, matched for optimum HT performance.

Most any receiver with any guts inside will get hot if not given proper ventilation. Either of those receivers should drive a reasonable 4 ohm load. But if the impedance swings and especially since each speaker has 6 drivers, I'd recommend a separate processor and power amp if the budget permits. You also have a fairly large room which will take some power unless the Paradox are efficient. If not, may be adding just the power amp to your existing receiver, as some one suggested, would be the next best thing.

For the most affordable quality separates take a look at brands like Rotel, B&K or Anthem. Arcam has an excellent processor out now for $2,500.00, I'm not sure what a matching amp would cost. I can, guarantee an Arcam amp will drive your speakers. I seen these amps drive loads that no amp that size should be able to drive. My 100w Arcam drives my Dynaudio Contours very well. I'm not familiar with Audio Refinement but www.spearitsound.com has a new in the box processor and power amp $2,500.00 for the pair which is a big discount from original retail. Email Jack, he will give you the scoop on the components.