What you been listening to recently? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What you been listening to recently?

Mike
05-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Haven't been able to post for a while, suffering from problems with a new pc but here's some new stuff I've been listening spinning recently.

Grandaddy - Whatever Happened to the Fambly Cat, it maybe their swansong but they can still cut it in my books. From reviews I've read people say happily it's a move on from their last, but to me it sounds similar, which is ok by me cos' their last was one of the best CD's I've acquired over the last few years.

Kepler - Attic Salt, pretty mellow stuff in the vein of Wilco.

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open, pretty much like their last which is ok, although the singers voice sounds a little stronger now.

Tunng - This is Tunng, folk electronica which works!

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey Mike, have you heard Dogs Die In Hot Cars? This is a band that I think you would totally dig. Very much along the same lines as The Kaiser Chiefs or Maximo Park. Maybe a little more pop sounding than Maximo, but good fun tunes.

Swish
05-18-2006, 08:35 AM
so you'll get thousands of responses like our buddy Bernd? :ciappa:

Well I'm very pleased to be the second respondent, so hear goes:

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood - she can do no wrong to my ears

American Pop: An Audio History From Minstrel to Mojo - what a collection of tunes! All mp3s on a CD, making for over 200 tracks. A big thank you to J for this baby.

Marc Jordan - this is how men cry - a gift from Barry L. - not quite what I would expect coming from one of our resident prog fans, and pretty good if I must say so myself. Mellow stuff, with a jazzy vibe

On deck: I just got three new ones thanks to Audio Bill and will get to them soon -

Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse
Pearl Jam - S/T - I was never a fan of this band, but I'll listen without prejudice
Tool - 10,000 Days

Swish

Stone
05-18-2006, 08:56 AM
A little bit of this, and a little bit of that.

Alejandro Escovedo - The Boxing Mirror
This isn't doing a whole lot for me yet.

Built To Spill - You In Reverse
This isn't doing a whole lot for me yet, outside of a few songs. The songs are too long and don't seem to do much except display guitar work. Sometimes it works, like in "Conventional Wisdom", where the guitar is basically used as the chorus instead of lyrics, but in most of the songs, the guitar noodling just gets tiring, at least to these ears.

The Damned - Damned, Damned, Damned
Classic.

Kim Fisher - Follow Me
Never heard of her? Neither had I, but the disc was a buck, so I splurged. It's not bad. It's basic dance pop, with all of the songs but one sung in German.

Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock
It does rock, but I never have liked this one as much as Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes, which is just blistering.

The Pipettes - Meet the Pipettes EP
Girl groupy sounding trio that is a lot of fun. Their full length comes out later this year (in Europe at least).

Slayer - Haunting the Chapel EP

nobody
05-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Been listening to a few newer things lately...

A bunch of stuff from Morr Music, one of my favorite current record labels.

Including, <b>Electric President</b>, sugested by someone around here, and it really is great...another in a Notwist vein, probably even more so than <b>Ms John Soda</b>, which I also listened to. <b>B. Fleishman's the Humbucking Coil</b> is another new one off that label that's sowing the same ground that I had some fun listening to.

Also listened to the new <b>Gotan Project</b>, another great electronic release from them with a nice Latin flair tossed in. Along with the new <b>Nightmares on Wax</b>, which is nicely funky and soulful although it can get a bit repetitive, its probably my favorite of the newer stuff I heard. I'd also have to toss in the new <b>AFX</b>, a compilation of selections from the vinyl only Analord series, as something to get a listen to.

Also took a litsten the new <b>Springsteen</b>, which sounds great...and I thought I was long done with Bruce. The new <b>Morrissey</b> is pretty good, although I preferred his last one. I like the new <b>Streets</b>, but if you didn't like their last one, skip it.

Also listened to some older stuff, but I've rambled enough for now, so I'll stop for now...

Slosh
05-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat, it maybe their swansong but they can still cut it in my books. From reviews I've read people say happily it's a move on from their last, but to me it sounds similar, which is ok by me cos' their last was one of the best CD's I've acquired over the last few years.Yeah, now it's my second favorite album of theirs, just behind Sumday but ahead of The Sophtware Slump and Under The Western Freeway (and the earlier EPs). The whole thing is excellent but the second half is extemely strong IMO. Is it just me of does "Elevate Myself" sound like it could have been a Devo song?
http:www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EC8F62991581423F

NP: A faux punk playlist (non-punk bands' punky songs . . . like Grandaddy's "50%" for example ;) )

Davey
05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey old buddy, nice to see you around. Funny that your leadoff listen is some of that good ol' American indie rock that usually saturates my time, and mine is some good ol' British indie rock. Worlds in collision, but the Gallagher wanker brother that sings, as opposed to the stoic drunken guitar strummer wanker brother, in a surprisingly lucid move, signed my favorite modern scouse band Shack, headed by the always loveable and charming Head brothers, themselves also not known to bypass a trip to chemical-induced nirvana earlier in their shaky but laudable career, to his Sourmash record label for their new album, and quite an amazing record it is. Just released in your own merry old England, and my copy has only just now been secured courtesy of the good Singaporeans at cd-wow, along with application of the obligatory $2 discount.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000FAO9NY.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hey, also been just starting the journey of discovering the new Scott Walker The Drift, this one too from over the Atlantic, because you know that's where all the best things come from, although I think he was born in our own great midwest, but you really have to move to the UK before you can get strange enough to make music like Scott Walker makes. Looks like the US release has been once again delayed, so I was right to let cd-wow have my biz.

And lots of Red Red Meat. Steady diet. Jimmywine Majestic is making me very happy this week. 1993. Fits in very well with my favorites from that time period. Still wish I had known about, and had the chance to love these guys, way back when, and ever since, but it's also kind of fun to discover bands so much later and condense all the years of waiting for the new albums to come cranking out of the mill into just a couple months of bliss-filled listening. Anyway, that's my story. Rutili and Deck and Hurley and Bunny Gets Paid and Jimmywine Majestic and There's A Star Above the Manger Tonight are now all classics in my distorted catatonic blues view. What a long strange trip ...

Oh yeah, as already over reported and overplayed, the Deadstring Brothers continue to make happy the jack with Starving Winter Report. Class act. One of the best of 2006. And Stone is crazy, Built To Spill gets really really good when the timer gets turned off. We love ya, Doug. If it takes a few extra minutes to get the magic flowing, take the time, and make the time, and in the meantime, when no one's home and the weather's fine, I'd rather wait for you.

Mike
05-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Hey old buddy, nice to see you around. Funny that your leadoff listen is some of that good ol' American indie rock that usually saturates my time, and mine is some good ol' British indie rock. Worlds in collision, but the Gallagher wanker brother that sings, as opposed to the stoic drunken guitar strummer wanker brother, in a surprisingly lucid move, signed my favorite modern scouse band Shack,

Hey thanks for the word on this you sent me something of theirs a while back and I've been meaning to check them out further. I like to think I'm up on bands and albums but would you believe before you sent me something I've never heard of them before.

Cheers
Mike

Mike
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Been listening to a few newer things lately...

A bunch of stuff from Morr Music, one of my favorite current record labels.

Including, <b>Electric President</b>, sugested by someone around here, and it really is great...another in a Notwist vein, probably even more so than <b>Ms John Soda</b>, which I also listened to.

Hey that would be me I mentioned them a few weeks ago. They make some neat sounds in the vein of the Notwist, a little poppier but good nonetheless. I'll have to check out Ms John Soda too I think Dusty mentioned they have a female Notwist style which sounds interesting. Also that Nightware on Wax sounds ok I didn't realise they were still producing stuff.

Cheers
Mike

Mike
05-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Hey Mike, have you heard Dogs Die In Hot Cars? This is a band that I think you would totally dig. Very much along the same lines as The Kaiser Chiefs or Maximo Park. Maybe a little more pop sounding than Maximo, but good fun tunes.

I've heard the name and I think there might have been something on one of those throwaway Finchy comps, which of course I didn't throw away, I'll have to have a listen again.

Cheers
Mike

Hawkeye
05-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Kino - Picture
And some of my own comps too.

ToddL
05-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock
It does rock, but I never have liked this one as much as Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes, which is just blistering.

Have you ever heard the Weakerthans? It is one of the guys from Propagandhi. A lot more mellow and not preachy. But it is really good.

ToddL
05-20-2006, 07:27 AM
I have been listening to a speed metal band called Dragon Force which I like and I don't generally like metal.
Saw a band called Film School which I guess is something like modern prog
also Switches who will be the next big power-pop group

Davey
05-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Hey thanks for the word on this you sent me something of theirs a while back and I've been meaning to check them out further. I like to think I'm up on bands and albums but would you believe before you sent me something I've never heard of them before.

Cheers
Mike
Yeah, that was Waterpistol I sent out to a few people. Great stuff. Apparently the latest Uncut has a feature on the new album and you can listen to the whole thing at the Uncut site ...

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/shack/special_features/8750

Also been getting in a lot of time with the new Willard Grant Conspiracy record. Love these guys. Love how the review at americana-uk called it the, "Triumphant and viscerally powerful return for the Dark Lords of Americana". The leadoff song is very moving, almost a tear jerker, about a soldier's thoughts on the night before battle, knowing he won't be coming back. Driven along by piano and violins and viola, and that siren-like trumpet by the guy from Lambchop that made the last album so good too, and that deep baritone voice of Fisher's. Called "From a Distant Shore" (http://www.willardgrantconspiracy.com/sounds/fromadistantshore_fragment.mp3) (click on it for 1.7M partial mp3 or visit the label site (http://www.loosemusic.com/artists/willard_grant_conspiracy.php) to watch the video and/or hear some other songs).

If you were a friend, I‘d want to save you pain
If you were a lover, well I’d do the same
If we were joined, I’d want to capture stars
Let them loose inside your chest
Forever keep you warm

Tomorrow I’ll meet my maker, my body broken on the shore
I’ll ask for my forgiveness, and then for nothing more
Every night you lay awake, for now and ever more
My breath will be the breeze you feel
From a distant shore

The amazing title track that follows the opener runs for almost 9 1/2 minutes, with a lot of the Doors and Nick Cave goodness. Quite an opening statement. It'd be near impossible to make a complete album at that high level, and they don't, but it's still damn fine by my standards. Did I already say that I love these guys? Kind of agree with tentoze about that inclusion of the Dylan cover they recorded for Uncut's tribute to Highway 61 Revisited, maybe would've preferred it as something tacked on the end, cause it was one of Dylan's shining moments as a vocalist and interpreter of his own words, and I don't know anyone who could top that amazing original, although I don't dislike this version, it's just that it is a little too reverential and doesn't play to Fisher's strengths as a vocalist since he kind of does it in Dylan's style, but without Dylan's style...

But most of the rest is golden. Love the song he co-wrote with Steve Wynn...

and I dreamed I saw the Angels flying low
they encompass all that’s good, or so I’m told
they encompass all that's good, or so I'm told
so I'm told

Sheri has an itch that needs to be scratched
Carlos has a contract where he watches her back...

DPM
05-20-2006, 09:48 AM
The new Tool disk, 10,000 Days, has been spun several times now. It's a keeper.

I also have been playing a pair of the new Moody Blues SACD's--On The Threshold Of A Dream and A Question Of Balance. These are my first purchases of this band, and I'm liking what I'm hearing. I may go for one or two more.

Also, I've been investigating the band Procol Harum. I just bought Broken Barricades (which was their last release to feature Robin Trower on guitar), and it definitely has its moments. These guys could rock when they wanted to. Simple Sister kills.

DM

Stone
05-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Have you ever heard the Weakerthans? It is one of the guys from Propagandhi. A lot more mellow and not preachy. But it is really good.

Yeah, I have Fallow, which I like, but not well enough to seek out their other albums. I haven't listened to it in a while, though. I need to pull it out and spin it soon. Do you have their other albums?

superpanavision70mm
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I been listening to a strange variety of newer and older...

Alan Parsons Project I ROBOT
Nada Surf THE WEIGHT IS A GIFT
Erasure UNION STREET
The Flaming Lips THE SOFT BULLETIN
Beck SEA CHANGE
Jack Johnson ON AND ON

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
05-21-2006, 05:39 AM
now playing: Loretta Lynn w/Jack White: "Van Lear Rose" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ScINqCL_s&search=loretta%20lynn
nice Sunday morning music for a rainy day.

lately I have been into a 60's revival:
Burt Bacharach "Look of Love" box set
Phil Spector "Back to Mono"
Brian Wilson "SMiLE"
Nuggets: Artyfacts from 60s psychedelic era
Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin "Histoire de Melody Nelson"
Elvis Presley "Sunrise" Early sessions at Sun Records
Dusty Springfield "Dusty in Memphis"

also:
Pavement "Crooked Rain..."
Beth Orton "Central Reservation"
Pearl Jam - s/t
David Gilmour "On an Island"

happy listening...

hifitommy
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
erik truffaz-saloua and terrence blanchard-flow. this isnt your fathers jazz.

-Jar-
05-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Slayer - Haunting the Chapel EP

Are you ready for the National Day of Slayer on June 6th?

http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/

:devil: :3: :8: :devil:

Stone
05-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Are you ready for the National Day of Slayer on June 6th?

http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/

:devil: :3: :8: :devil:

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the tip.

I've now officially begun gearing up for the big holiday on June 6.

nobody
05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't even like Slayer but am still looking forward to celebrating. I've already got a couple other people planning on calling off work with me so we can just go around all day and piss people off with really loud music.

Wish I had a better car stereo for this one.

Bernd
05-24-2006, 02:15 AM
Also been getting in a lot of time with the new Willard Grant Conspiracy record. Love these guys. Love how the review at americana-uk called it the, "Triumphant and viscerally powerful return for the Dark Lords of Americana". The leadoff song is very moving, almost a tear jerker, about a soldier's thoughts on the night before battle, knowing he won't be coming back. Driven along by piano and violins and viola, and that siren-like trumpet by the guy from Lambchop that made the last album so good too, and that deep baritone voice of Fisher's. Called "From a Distant Shore" (http://www.willardgrantconspiracy.com/sounds/fromadistantshore_fragment.mp3) (click on it for 1.7M partial mp3 or visit the label site (http://www.loosemusic.com/artists/willard_grant_conspiracy.php) to watch the video and/or hear some other songs).

If you were a friend, I‘d want to save you pain
If you were a lover, well I’d do the same
If we were joined, I’d want to capture stars
Let them loose inside your chest
Forever keep you warm

Tomorrow I’ll meet my maker, my body broken on the shore
I’ll ask for my forgiveness, and then for nothing more
Every night you lay awake, for now and ever more
My breath will be the breeze you feel
From a distant shore

The amazing title track that follows the opener runs for almost 9 1/2 minutes, with a lot of the Doors and Nick Cave goodness. Quite an opening statement. It'd be near impossible to make a complete album at that high level, and they don't, but it's still damn fine by my standards. Did I already say that I love these guys? Kind of agree with tentoze about that inclusion of the Dylan cover they recorded for Uncut's tribute to Highway 61 Revisited, maybe would've preferred it as something tacked on the end, cause it was one of Dylan's shining moments as a vocalist and interpreter of his own words, and I don't know anyone who could top that amazing original, although I don't dislike this version, it's just that it is a little too reverential and doesn't play to Fisher's strengths as a vocalist since he kind of does it in Dylan's style, but without Dylan's style...

But most of the rest is golden. Love the song he co-wrote with Steve Wynn...

they encompass all that’s good, or so I’m told
they encompass all that's good, or so I'm told
so I'm told

Sheri has an itch that needs to be scratched
Carlos has a contract where he watches her back...

Davey thanks for the tip never heard of them before.
Just got my copy and it's just great.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Davey
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Davey thanks for the tip never heard of them before.
Just got my copy and it's just great.

Peace

Bernd:16:
Good band. Kind of a collective of sorts. This new one is primarily written by the singer, Robert Fisher, and so veers a bit more off into the avant garde direction of John Cale, but I like it a lot. The last one Regard The End is probably even better, with Fisher's proclivity for writing long songs somewhat tempered by his long time partner Paul Austin, who has his own band now with his wife so isn't in WGC anymore. That last one also has some great guests on it, especially in the female singer category. Really like Flying Low too.

Pat D
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Anything and everything. We bought a pair of Paradigm Signature S2 speakers, with the PSB Stratus Minis going down to the family room for the HT system. So everything sounds different.

Schubert's Octet, on LP with instrumentalists from the Boston Symphony, and on CD with the Berlin Octet.

Scott Joplin's The Entertainer and other pieces with a group called the Southland Stingers on an EMI LP.

Diana Krall, Love Scenes and When I Look Into Your Eyes.

Beethoven's 9th Symphony with Liebowitz and the Royal Philharmonic (on Chesky), Karajan and the BPO (1962, on DG); and Suitner and the Berlin Staatskapelle (Denon).

Rachmaninoff's 2nd Symphony, with Anissimov (Naxos), Previn (Telarc), and Ormandy (Sony).

Mozart's Requiem with Colin Davis.

Mozart, Piano Concertos Nos. 1-27 with Vladimir Ashkenazy--well, I haven't finished the whole set yet.

Hawkeye
05-26-2006, 06:47 AM
'If Only You Could' by Donna the Buffalo from their cd Live From the American Ballroom - an infectious, eclectic mix of Zydeco, Bluegrass, Folk, Rock, Country, Old-Time Fiddle music, and more. Jamming that's just impossibe to keep your feet still to.

KEXPMF
05-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't post on here much these days. Apparently AOL users can't log in. :confused5:
Eric (who is a KEXP fan, I've just learned!) said they are trying to fix that though.

Anyway....It's been maybe FIVE years since I've bought something based on hearing it played in a record store... but that's what happend this week. Radio 4. The album is called Enemies Like This. It came out about a week ago.
I had to buy it right then. The clerks even had to take it out of their player so I could buy it. It was their only copy.

It's been on repeat in my cd player for days, except when I have to go in the car, it goes with me there too. I can't say when the last time I bought and album and LOVED every song THIS MUCH.

If you like the Clash and Clash dub stuff.... you need to hear this.
This album is not of this decade. www.r4ny.com

I haven't heard their other albums but I'm planning to get all of them.

KEXPMF
05-26-2006, 12:02 PM
know who will like this new Radio 4? Jar.

Mabye MindGoneHaywire too? I know J likes the Clash, I don't know if he's into the Dub stuff though?

and I'm surprised Mike hasn't mentioned it. (or did I miss a post?) Mike?

Dusty Chalk
05-26-2006, 01:40 PM
I liked them so much, I went and saw them live. Pretty good. I agree with the Clash comparison, with the dubbish heavy emphasis on the bass. Also reminds me of early Joe Jackson a little. Haven't picked up the new one yet. I have all the other albums, though.

Jim Clark
05-26-2006, 02:18 PM

Mabye MindGoneHaywire too? I know J likes the Clash, I don't know if he's into the Dub stuff though?

If you like the new one, you simply must get "Gotham". I swear to goodness that it's sitting right here beside me since I had it one the CDP this morning. Since the extremely well reviewed Gotham was released many indie types have stayed away from the latter ones with claims of over-production, sell out, and the typical disappointments that follow when more than 10 people have heard of the band.

Looks like something I'm going to need to hear. Thanks.

jc

ToddL
05-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I have Fallow, which I like, but not well enough to seek out their other albums. I haven't listened to it in a while, though. I need to pull it out and spin it soon. Do you have their other albums?

I have Reconstruction Site, I like it better than any of the other stuff.

hifitommy
05-27-2006, 05:58 PM
is a group by whom i have an LP.

Rock&Roll Ninja
05-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue: I just can't get over how instruments sound like instruments. Especially the bass and drums. Listen to that right-channel drum from track one. It sounds like a real freakin drumset! Nothing studio from the last 5 years has sounded like anything but the sampled-drum "donk" sound.

Mike
06-09-2006, 07:55 AM

I've listened to some samples and come pretty close to buying it once or twice but not yet....another one on the wish list.

I'll put up a shout for 'Stealing of a Nation' their last album (not as dubby, more clubby!) but just as good.

Cheers
Mike

nobody
06-10-2006, 03:01 AM
That Radio 4 sounds like soemthing I'll have to get a hold of.

Been listening to a ton of The Jam recently, motly a compilation I made up from their box set.

Also some Miles Davis, Walkin' has gotten multiple plays over the last few days. It may be my favorite Miles, although my favorite Miles changes often.

Also, played Iggy Pop's The Idiot for the first time in a long while and remembered how great it is. remember that thread about druggy albums? Add this to the list. The track Nightclubbing just instantly transports me to the days of trolling late-night clubs like a zombie looking for dope...not that I would know.

Digging the new Racontuers, but have to admit the single and lead track is so good the rest of the album was a bit of a let down on first listen, but the rest is growing on me.

Still digging Van Hunt's On the Jungle Floor. I read somewhere that its the best Prince album of the year, unfortunately just not made by Prince, and I can certainly see the obvious influence. Since I'm a big Prince fan, I like this one a lot.

A few Chet Baker records have been sitting on the turntable recently as well. Wife just picked up a biography of his, looking forward to reading that once I get finished with a stack I've already got lined up.

Davey
06-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Been listening a lot to "Dogs" by Nina Nastasia lately. Love this CD. Steve Albini really recorded this one nicely, especially the cello and acoustic basses. Love the musical saw too. Nice touch. Quite a debut. Like "The Blackened Air", I think it tends to lose some of the urgency and focus in the second half, but the highlights are still plenty for me to keep coming back for more.

Still spinning that new Black Heart Procession a lot and still probably my album of the year. Also a lot of the new Shack. And just got the Lift To Experience "Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads" and Orso "My Dreams Are Back and They Are Better Than Ever" at the same time as the Nina Nastasia, all used from djangos and triggered when two of them popped up on my alert list. Great feature, but bad news for a music junkie like me with way too many items on his alert list. Something is always popping up, but at only $7 or so a pop it's not too bad :).

Love the latest from Willard Grant Conspiracy too. And also been listening quite a bit to the new Eleventh Dream Day and like that one a lot too. No idea yet about the new Scott Walker; amazing music but hard to really enjoy. Expected, but still very eclectic and theatrical, moreso than even his last one "Tilt".

Also been having a good time with the latest Willie Nile CD that everyone's raving about. They're right, it is a good one. I still have a fondness for that first one, so long ago and far away now, but if anyone still has the form and substance and spark of his youth, this is the guy. Really amazing, so far down the line. Gotta thank my sin city benefactor for enlightening me to its charms.