subwoofer amplifier confusion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer amplifier confusion

BC Dave
05-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Hello,

I have a VMPS Original Subwoofer (passive) and have just replaced the dual voice coil driver with a new single VC Megawoofer from VMPS. I now find I am short on power (using an Adcom GFA-535 II (60 wpc). Looking on eBay I see some pretty high prices for some pretty old power amps. I don't want to have to cut a hole in the VMPS for a plate amp. Are amplifiers from Samson and other professional amplifier makers as good for my needs? I looked at getting a Behringer A500 but the reviews were mixed. Any specific suggestions for something that won't cost a lot and would be better than a 15-year-old Adcom or Parasound? Thanks.

N. Abstentia
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
What's your budget? You should be able to get plenty of power in the $500 neighborhood which is dirt cheap for a good amp.

BC Dave
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
After recently spending $200 on this 1991 subwoofer and then spending close to $300 with US exchange/duty/brokerage fee to get the upgraded Megawoofer and passive radiator, I only really have a couple of hundred bucks. I missed out on a Samson Servo 550 for about $115 US yesterday. My Adcom 535 II only seems to be worth about $70 so I figured I could get something more powerful for about $200 US. I live in Canada and would prefer to buy here, but the prices they want for used (old) amps is crazy. I can't imagine spending $300 for something and having a $200 repair a year from now. So I was leaning toward something much newer from Samson or QSC. But I just don't know if the quality (sound-wise and longevity-wise) is there compared to a very used Adcom 555 or Parasound, or Rotel. Help?

PAT.P
05-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Check out www.altoproaudio.com Mac2.2 amp they are sold in CND,or www.canuckaudiomart.com for use equipment.

Feanor
05-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Hello,
I looked at getting a Behringer A500 but the reviews were mixed. Any specific suggestions for something that won't cost a lot and would be better than a 15-year-old Adcom or Parasound? Thanks.

I'm planning to do a DIY subwooferr using a Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" Hi-Fi subwoofer. I won't go for a plate amp; instead, I'll probably get a Behringer EP1500, street price US$250, and run it in bridged mode -- 1400 watts into 4 ohms ought to be enough :cornut:
http://www.behringer.com/EP1500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

As for Behringer quality, it should be plenty good enough for any sub. A500 reviews I've seen have compared the full-range operation of that unit to amps costing $2000+; this is an unfair comparision.

By the way, the A500 is not rated for 4 ohms, bridged, so be cautious on that score.