Replace a HT Sony speaker with........ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replace a HT Sony speaker with........

swwdts
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Should I replace my 8" sony 100 watt PEAK subwoofer w/ a Goldwood 100RMS /250watt PEAK subwoofer??? While I was playing a dvd & at a thunder clap/sound it made a loud pop sound.It may have been the crossover but, I want to replace it w/ a Goldwood sub from Parts Express pg.162...

kexodusc
05-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Oh...I was wondering what you wanted to do with the Goldwood in your other thread....uhh..ya can't just do that..not as easy as sticking another 8" woofer in a box.

And the Goldwood woofer is probably a step up on the Sony.

N. Abstentia
05-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd save up and buy a better sub all together. An 8" sub isn't going to do much for you because it's so small and physically limited.

kexodusc
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I'd save up and buy a better sub all together. An 8" sub isn't going to do much for you because it's so small and physically limited.

Well there is that too. :D

If you' really need a decent, small sub for under $100 or so, go with the 8" Dayton DVC. I've built 4 of those now for people. Very efficient woofer that can put out bass into the 25 Hz range, maybe a bit more in some rooms. It's a good step up on most $300 store bought subs I've heard, well above my old Paradigm PDR-12. Mate it with a 70 watt plate amp or better and don't look back.

It works best in apartments, or rooms under 300 sq feet...and won't play much louder than mid 90 dB plus music peaks, but in apartments or small rooms, that's theater level of sound anyway...heck for this price, get 2.

You'll need a new cabinet though.

swwdts
05-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Oh...I was wondering what you wanted to do with the Goldwood in your other thread....uhh..ya can't just do that..not as easy as sticking another 8" woofer in a box.

And the Goldwood woofer is probably a step up on the Sony. The goldwood in my other thread is for my 10" downfiring powered subwoofer. My 8" will be a possible replacement for my sony which is a passive subwoofer that max peak is too low. Also,I did not want to ask more than 1 or 2 questions in 1 thread post.I did not want members to say it was prob.becoming spam & I did not want that to happen.

bfalls
05-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Kexodusc, do the kits come with the box, or do you have to build them? I noticed several auctions on ebay for Velodyne plate amps. I believe for their 8" sub, but should still be a good deal for a kit. A good rule of thumb is to never buy speakers from a non-speaker company. Sony has good products (DVD, CD, PlayStation, Music/Movies) but speakers aren't their forte. They do have respectable high-end speakers, but generally you're better off buying a sub from Velodyne, HSU, Dayton, Paradigm, etc...

kexodusc
05-17-2006, 05:33 AM
bfalls:

They aren't kits. Just the parts that go into them. A kit would include a box and some speaker tape to get a tight seal, maybe a few screws, and some damping material.

All of that stuff is available at a hardware store though so you don't see as many sub kits as speaker kits. The other reason is the boxes. Subwoofer boxes are generally big and heavy, and cost a tidy sum to ship. Making a box really isn't that hard. Any hack who has ever used a table saw and a plunge router can build one.

swwdts
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, I am at the point to where I want to pull my hair out! I can not find a good subwoofer that has 100 RMS.Everyone I find ranges 200-900RMS.I am getting rid of my sony & klh subs as you know but,I keep finding 100RMS subs w/ 8 ohms & I need 4 ohms.I'm guessing that I am only getting 75RMS w/ the KLH due to the fact that is only has a 100W peak.So,If I used an 8 ohm subwoofer I would only be getting 75watt peak if I was lucky.The bass sucks w/ the klh & sony subs! Does anyone know where I can get a subwoofer only?I will use the KLH box but,not the subwoofer.

kexodusc
05-21-2006, 02:12 AM
Uh, you don't need to match the wattage rating of a woofer to the amp.
You aren't limited to 100 watt rms woofers.

swwdts
05-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Thanks! What I am trying to match is the rms not,the peak.My Kenwood amps subwoofer channel is only 100 watts & if I remember correctly, the new sub has to be at least 100 watts rms?Not peak to have the subwoffer work correctly EX. = a sub w/ 200rms must be 200 rms or higher & must not be lower than 200rms?

kexodusc
05-21-2006, 04:16 AM
you don't need to match RMS the way you are describing. As long as the woofers RMS is higher than the amp you are using, you should be okay...you don't want to fry the woofer. Having a smaller RMS amp than a woofer is fine...
You can have a larger RMS wattage amp than a woofer too, but then you just have to be a bit careful...it's only a problem if you actually crank it enough that all those watts are being fed to the woofer...

audio_dude
05-21-2006, 02:34 PM
!!!!

its strong bad!!!

finally, that picture has been bugging me for a long time!

what ur favourite e-mail?

sorry for going so far off topic...