The Mummy Vs Raiders of the Lost Ark. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Mummy Vs Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Smokey
05-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Last week had a chance to look at Mummy and RLA trilogy, and must say enjoyed Mummy much more than Raiders of the Lost Ark

Understanding that there are 15 years of gap in special effects technology between those films, the Mummy moved in much faster pace to accommodate those effects.

Off course there is no denying that RLA very much influenced making of the Mummy, but The Mummy took it and kicked it into high gear. Especially in second installation (Mummy Returns).

Or it just might be me :D

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2001/images/TheMummyReturns1.jpg

eisforelectronic
05-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Brenden is no Harrison

KaiWinters
05-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Raiders for me, though I did enjoy The Mummy.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-17-2006, 04:02 AM
I like them both so much I just cannot choose:confused:

kexodusc
05-17-2006, 04:51 AM
I'll say one thing, "The Mummy" ride at Universal Studios in Orlando is way better than the Raiders show at MGM Studios in Disney World (though it is fun to watch).

I'll take Raiders, both were fun, but Raiders has stood up reasonably well over time, and actually had decent sequels. The Mummy II and Scorpion King were about as bad as it gets (except for the Rock, that dude should be the next Arnold, not Vin Diesel).

GMichael
05-17-2006, 05:34 AM
I'll say one thing, "The Mummy" ride at Universal Studios in Orlando is way better than the Raiders show at MGM Studios in Disney World (though it is fun to watch).

I'll take Raiders, both were fun, but Raiders has stood up reasonably well over time, and actually had decent sequels. The Mummy II and Scorpion King were about as bad as it gets (except for the Rock, that dude should be the next Arnold, not Vin Diesel).

The Mummy ride at Universal should say something about it being a roller coaster before you get on it. When they locked wifey & I in, is when I figured out that we were on the wrong ride, too late.

The Mummy movies move along faster and have more action & newer effects. The Arc had more suspense and better acting IMO, but could put you to sleep at times.

markw
05-17-2006, 06:32 AM
The "raiders" movies are old time cliff-hanger type action movies with a touch of comic relief., forwhich Ford is perfectly suited. He's Han Solo in a Fedora.

The two "Mummy" movies*, OTOH, seem to be more light action/heavy comedy movies which used the action and horror merely as filler, for which Fraser is perfectly suited.

Overall, I loved 'em both for their own individual traits. I won't even compare SFX because that's not a fair comparison given the times involved.

*The Scorpion King" was simply a stab at setting up The Rock as the new Arnie with a Conan type vehicle. IMNSHO, it failed on all counts but others may disagree.

topspeed
05-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Last week had a chance to look at Mummy and RLA trilogy, and must say enjoyed Mummy much more than Raiders of the Lost Ark

You're smoking again, aren't you?:ciappa:

Mummy was OK, a good popcorn muncher but not much more. Raiders is a classic adventure movie and will likely hold up better over time.

Now if they would just get off their collective a$$es and start shooting the 4th installment!

Mebbe...but is it better than the Raiders ride at Disneyland?

Smokey
05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
The Mummy movies move along faster and have more action & newer effects. The Arc had more suspense and better acting IMO, but could put you to sleep at times.

I think that sums it up pretty much for me. The Arc have pretty much signature of Goerge Lucus who wrote the story line with a big start, mellowed out middle with explosive end.

And Topspeed, wasn't smoking when watching those movies :devil:

RGA
05-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Sorry but I don't even see this as a comparison. The Mummy is big hollywood schlock which doesn't stop in time to actually have a brain at all -- CGI effects to the hilt to replace lousy acting and lame duck one liners.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is in every conceivable way a better film, with the exception of special effects. But even there they actually served the plot in a more interesting way. Raiders has a slower pace so it won't do well with the video game attention spans of today's viewership but it does actually develop a storyline which at times manages to be quite intelligent. Having small touches like Belloq taking the idol with the aid of Natives slyly alludes to a French Imperialistic undercurrent. Later Beloq, like the French, is taking orders from the Nazis as they just rolled over to them in WWII. The big grand memerable John Williams score and the stand out chemistry between Marion and Jones are a constant delight.

Raiders is a pulp action adventure story which not only has not been matched in the genre IMO nothing is even close. The Last Crusade hangs in there in spots but even it falters with less interesting tertiary characters. Raiders is one of the greates films ever made - the Mummy is a second rate highly forgettable B-movie.

Smokey
05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Sorry but I don't even see this as a comparison. The Mummy is big hollywood schlock which doesn't stop in time to actually have a brain at all -- CGI effects to the hilt to replace lousy acting and lame duck one liners.

I agree that there was too many lame duck one liners or insert comic situtations where didn't belong, but it was very entertaining movie. Called mindelss fun :D

musicman1999
05-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Raiders all the way.The first Mummy movie was alright,but the second dropped off badly and i never even wanted to see the third.The Raider films are good enough to stand up over time.

bill