Poseidon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon

kexodusc
05-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Saw this today - had to use up some vouchers that were running out, and unfortunately Da Vinci Code won't accept them.

This movie was so painfully predictale, and typical by-the-book Hollywood action movie-ish that it almost ruined the enjoyment. Almost.

I liked this movie. There's enough cool special effects and imagery to sustain the weak, unoriginal plot. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but there's lots "ouch, that had to hurt" or "yuck" scenes to get by.

Most people will probably consider this a half decent rental. You should be able to tell well in advance of buying the ticket if you'll like this or not. No surprises. It's typical Wolfgang Petersen...I liked it for its brutal simplicity and the sheer amount of crap they blow up or break..

A part of me can't help but think "this is more like what Titanic should have been"

L.J.
08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Man this was awful. And like a fool I bought it. My wife and I were naming the scenes before they happened well in advance. I was like " well he's about to die". I couldn't even enjoy the exposions because we watch movies late when the kids are sleeping. O well, another one to pull off the shelf about once every other year.

bobsticks
08-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys, I'd already been on the fence with this one. Probably a rental as I have enough explosion-filled action flicks.

Worf101
08-25-2006, 08:12 AM
By coinkidinky I watched that movie last night myself. I can't imagine the same guy made "Das Boot". Well, hell, guess we all gotta eat. I've never seen a more paltry set of extras on a retail DVD in my life. Do they really think folks are gonna pony up to buy this thing again a year from now? Nope. Not the worse film I've ever seen, it's actually a pretty good popcorn muncher. New twist, this time they killed off the friendly, "let's save everyone else" Hispanic instead of the kindly Black Guy. I guess that some progress. Other than that... just special effects strung together more or less competently. C-minus.

Da Worfster

Groundbeef
08-25-2006, 08:34 AM
New twist, this time they killed off the friendly, "let's save everyone else" Hispanic instead of the kindly Black Guy. I guess that some progress. Other than that... just special effects strung together more or less competently.

Next time Worf, a spoiler alert please. Next thing you are going to ruin is that the boat sinks or something silly like that. Please remember that not everyone has seen the film. :incazzato:

Worf101
08-27-2006, 11:26 AM
New twist, this time they killed off the friendly, "let's save everyone else" Hispanic instead of the kindly Black Guy. I guess that some progress. Other than that... just special effects strung together more or less competently.

Next time Worf, a spoiler alert please. Next thing you are going to ruin is that the boat sinks or something silly like that. Please remember that not everyone has seen the film. :incazzato:

Wooops... my bad. I'm sorry. Just figured anybody interested in seeing it round here would've seen it already. Sorry, really.. will try to avoid doing that in the future.

Da Worfster

daviethek
08-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Not the worse film I've ever seen, it's actually a pretty good popcorn muncher. New twist, this time they killed off the friendly, "let's save everyone else" Hispanic instead of the kindly Black Guy. I guess that some progress. Other than that... just special effects strung together more or less competently. C-minus.

Da Worfster

We've been going to drive-ins pretty steady for about 5 years now. The key is to adjust your standards at the gate. Poseidon is right in there with the best drive in fare this year. Nacho Llbre was great. Miami Vice was up there. Snakes on a plane will be perfect drive-in. RV sucked however.

Woochifer
08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
We've been going to drive-ins pretty steady for about 5 years now. The key is to adjust your standards at the gate. Poseidon is right in there with the best drive in fare this year. Nacho Llbre was great. Miami Vice was up there. Snakes on a plane will be perfect drive-in. RV sucked however.

Wow, I haven't been to a drive-in in ages. Last couple of times were on dates, and the most memorable parts of those outing had nothing to do with the movie ... not that we were paying that much attention to what was on screen anyway!

daviethek
08-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Wow, I haven't been to a drive-in in ages. Last couple of times were on dates, and the most memorable parts of those outing had nothing to do with the movie ... not that we were paying that much attention to what was on screen anyway!

Yea, its pretty cool. We have 3 in our area that are still doing good business. They use low power FM transmitters so the sound track is excellent through the car stereo and yes, even though we are certified geezers, we occasionally mis-behave when there. Its a nice low key way to spend an evening.

emaidel
08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I routinely write reviews for a website called, "epinions.com." I am an "Top Reviewer" in the category of movies, and recently wrote a very favorable review on this film. Just click onto:

epinions.com/user-edmaidel

and all of my reviews will pop up, with that on "Poseidon" being the first, that is, until I write another one, which I'm about to do, and that's on "The Pink Panther," which I found to be a lamentable mess. I found "Poseidon" to be immensely enjoyable, and infinitely superior to the original, 1972 clunker.

L.J.
08-28-2006, 01:40 PM
immensely enjoyable

OK I'll admit, when the ship was hit by the wave and people were slamming into walls and falling into things or being crushed, it did bring a smile to my face. In a sick sorta way I guess :devil:

RGA
08-29-2006, 05:22 AM
The biggest annoyance of Poseidon was that Richard Dreyfuss was playing a part that Richard Dreyfuss should not have played or was even needed in. Aside from the complete idiocy the entire movie was about one thing: "A Father's Love for his Daughter"

The rest is just special effects rubbish with cardboard cartoon characters waltzing through a banal disaster movie cliche. It't a terrible movie in an Oasis of the Zombies kind of way -- but it sure has nothing really going for it.

**/*****

Kam
08-29-2006, 06:20 AM
OK I'll admit, when the ship was hit by the wave and people were slamming into walls and falling into things or being crushed, it did bring a smile to my face. In a sick sorta way I guess :devil:

I was the only guy who burst out laughing in the theater at Titanic when that dude fell from the top of the ship, and if that wasnt bad enough, hit the propellor on his way down and crashed spinning into the water. That was hysterical. But i'm sick like that.

superpanavision70mm
08-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, just because he made DAS BOOT doesn't mean diddly...he also made the incredibly painful TROY. Luckily though I enjoyed a few of his other films including THE PERFECT STORM and IN THE LINE OF FIRE.

GMichael
08-29-2006, 10:29 AM
I just got a chill.

Worf101
08-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I just got a chill.

Shut the hell up!!!! You know what I'm talkin' bout Willis!!!!

Da Worfster

GMichael
08-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Shut the hell up!!!! You know what I'm talkin' bout Willis!!!!

Da Worfster

And YOU know what I AM talking about.

Worf101
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM

Philistine!!!

Da Worfster

Kam
08-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Philistine!!!

Da Worfster

I dont care what he says, but I KNOW what he is talking about and you can TELL ME AS MANY TIMES AS you LIKE! But that doesn't CHANGE what I KNOW! And i KNOW WHAT he IS talking about.

:)

(i just had to... i did... i had to.... ok... i'm going back to the watercooler....)

L.J.
08-29-2006, 12:45 PM

:out:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2006, 07:36 AM
By coinkidinky I watched that movie last night myself. I can't imagine the same guy made "Das Boot". Well, hell, guess we all gotta eat. I've never seen a more paltry set of extras on a retail DVD in my life. Do they really think folks are gonna pony up to buy this thing again a year from now? Nope. Not the worse film I've ever seen, it's actually a pretty good popcorn muncher. New twist, this time they killed off the friendly, "let's save everyone else" Hispanic instead of the kindly Black Guy. I guess that some progress. Other than that... just special effects strung together more or less competently. C-minus.

Da Worfster

(comes after Worfster with berry big gun) Did you just say that it is progress that the hispanic get's killed off first? Por qué usted vagabundo. Yo le golpearía a la muerte pero a su mi amigo (translation Why you bum. I would beat you to death but your my friend:incazzato:)

What does righteous indignation look like?

Worf101
08-31-2006, 06:21 AM
(comes after Worfster with berry big gun) Did you just say that it is progress that the hispanic get's killed off first? Por qué usted vagabundo. Yo le golpearía a la muerte pero a su mi amigo (translation Why you bum. I would beat you to death but your my friend:incazzato:)

What does righteous indignation look like?

Dat's "Progress" (at least that's what they told me) man!!!! You got to nobly sacrifice yourself for the cute white girls... (tongue firmly in cheek). We made it to Captain this trip but got drownded!!!! LOL

Seriously though...

"Welcome back to the fight and this time I know our side will win."....

I'm so glad they got rid of that terrible guy that was impersonating you... I've seen multiple posts from you in recent days and you were banging the ball outta the park. I'm glad you weighed in on this one. I value your opinions on films as I do Kam's, and GMan's, Kex and Woochifer.. I know you're busy sometimes but it's always good to see you.. Now put that pistola down fore you hurt somebody (possibly me) with it.

Da Worfster

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Dat's "Progress" (at least that's what they told me) man!!!! You got to nobly sacrifice yourself for the cute white girls... (tongue firmly in cheek). We made it to Captain this trip but got drownded!!!! LOL

Seriously though...

"Welcome back to the fight and this time I know our side will win."....

I'm so glad they got rid of that terrible guy that was impersonating you... I've seen multiple posts from you in recent days and you were banging the ball outta the park. I'm glad you weighed in on this one. I value your opinions on films as I do Kam's, and GMan's, Kex and Woochifer.. I know you're busy sometimes but it's always good to see you.. Now put that pistola down fore you hurt somebody (possibly me) with it.

Da Worfster

I actually gave this flick a real chance to entertain me. I wasn't let down at all. I really enjoyed this movie. Okay, it wasn't a perfect movie, but it did have me on the edge of my seat a great portion of the movie. I did know who would make it out though, it was pretty obvious.

Dusty Chalk
09-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Saw this today - had to use up some vouchers that were running out, and unfortunately Da Vinci Code won't accept them.

This movie was so painfully predictale, and typical by-the-book Hollywood action movie-ish that it almost ruined the enjoyment. Almost.

I liked this movie. There's enough cool special effects and imagery to sustain the weak, unoriginal plot. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but there's lots "ouch, that had to hurt" or "yuck" scenes to get by.

Most people will probably consider this a half decent rental. You should be able to tell well in advance of buying the ticket if you'll like this or not. No surprises. It's typical Wolfgang Petersen...I liked it for its brutal simplicity and the sheer amount of crap they blow up or break..

A part of me can't help but think "this is more like what Titanic should have been"My opinion is basically the opposite of this. My opinion is this:

Who needs this movie, when there's already the original and Titanic (the former for the plot, the latter for a great ship-sinking sequence).

I mean, c'mon -- how many times were they going to pull to a long shot of the ship with things blowing up in various different sections? Shouldn't they have run out of things to blow up long before they did?

OTOH, if you go into it knowing that there's nothing special about this particular remake, and want a good "popcorn" movie, then this is your movie. And it wasn't painfully long. Went by quickly enough.

Defshep
09-27-2006, 04:56 AM
Finally gave this one a shot (hey, it's Netflix-may as well rent something, anything. After all, I'm paying for it!) last night. Wasn't as bad as I would've imagined. Don't get me wrong, it is a bad movie. Maybe it just moved so fast, and with all that sh*t blowing up, I just didn't care. Kept my attention.