Adding a "dedicated line" in "finished" rec room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adding a "dedicated line" in "finished" rec room

Huck
05-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Hi: This is probably a dumb question and also probably obvious, but here goes.... I want to add a 20 amp line just in one area of my house, particularly my "listening room". The problem is.... the breaker is at the other end of the house and the area where my listening room is is all "finished", meaning all walls and ceilings are covered with dry-wall, plus the 5 outlets in my listening room share power with a few outlets on the other side of the wall, such as bathroom plugs and maybe a bedroom. I can see how adding a new line in a new house could happen, but I guess all the wall and ceiling has to be ripped up in order to run this new line! I guess if it was just one outlet involved, the "new" wire could be twisted to the "old" wire and pulled right from the breaker, but not possible when 5 or 6 oulets are tied in to this breaker. What's involved in in running a new line in a "finished" area?? Sorry for the long winded story! Thanks, Huck:confused5:

Geoffcin
05-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Hi: This is probably a dumb question and also probably obvious, but here goes.... I want to add a 20 amp line just in one area of my house, particularly my "listening room". The problem is.... the breaker is at the other end of the house and the area where my listening room is is all "finished", meaning all walls and ceilings are covered with dry-wall, plus the 5 outlets in my listening room share power with a few outlets on the other side of the wall, such as bathroom plugs and maybe a bedroom. I can see how adding a new line in a new house could happen, but I guess all the wall and ceiling has to be ripped up in order to run this new line! I guess if it was just one outlet involved, the "new" wire could be twisted to the "old" wire and pulled right from the breaker, but not possible when 5 or 6 oulets are tied in to this breaker. What's involved in in running a new line in a "finished" area?? Sorry for the long winded story! Thanks, Huck:confused5:

A dedicated line for your HT is a good idea, and shouldn't be too hard to do.

Most inside walls are uninsulated, and there should be no problem routing a line through them. When I had an addition built on my house I also ran some lines to provide dedicated circuits in other areas of the house and it was not a problem.

Mr Peabody
05-18-2006, 06:47 PM
My listening room is the same way and I've always put off a dedicated line even though I hear it makes an amazing difference in the performance of electronics. It doesn't seem that easy, how would you or did you get your wire through the studs? I thought about maybe seeing if there is some kind of conduit to hide the wire and wouldn't look too terrible running along the bottom of the wall.

PAT.P
05-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Do you know how the ceiling joist are running in ceiling ?You get a Rotorzip saw cut a opening in ceiling and if your lucky fish the line to the other room.Patching the drywall is no problem .