Damaged projection TV mirror during moving [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Damaged projection TV mirror during moving

robotec
05-14-2006, 03:38 AM
The rear TV mirror on my Phillips projection TV was damaged during moving it into my basement. Does anyone have any idea a replacement costs? Or better yet any repair tips. The ouside frame was bowed a little. I sort of bent it back into place, but now my reds are off.

edtyct
05-14-2006, 06:58 AM
The rear TV mirror on my Phillips projection TV was damaged during moving it into my basement. Does anyone have any idea a replacement costs? Or better yet any repair tips. The ouside frame was bowed a little. I sort of bent it back into place, but now my reds are off.

I don't think that you'll get out of this one too easily. You'll have to contact an authorized Philips rep or tech for info about the mirror or hope that someone from AVS has it. You might also send an email, or visit the forum, at the Keohi HDTV site, which might get you a technician familiar with your TV. Unless you're eminently comfortable inside a TV and/or generally handy and intuitive in troubleshooting engineering problems, I'd let someone else handle the mirror, even if you find out which one to use. You could start a cascade of further difficulties.

More problematical, perhaps, is the red CRT displacment, which obviously would affect the optical assembly as well. If you can't converge red properly with the user controls or the service manual adjustments, someone qualified will have to work on the TV.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/files/rptv_diagram.jpg

robotec
05-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Good news! When I initially bent back the portion of the metal frame of the mirror that was bowed, the little crosses used for converging the reds in the menu were curved as well as being out alignment. However, when I checked it out the next morning, they were no longer curved, just out of alignment. I followed the simple procedures for converging the reds and now the picture is perfect. I think I dodged a bullet on that one. Which tools do you guys recomend for adjusting color and sound? I purchesed one of those Radio Shack sound meters.

edtyct
05-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Fantastic. Keep an eye out for any errors in geometry as well--a balanced picture from left to right and top to bottom, as well as any noticeable curvature of images around the edges. Digital Video Essentials and AVIA are the most popular comprehensive test disks. The Silicon Optix HQV test disk is also good, if you can get your hands on it.

Where are you located? I've been sending Datacolor's easy to use calibration system around for various members to use on their sets. Check out the Datacolor thread on the AR Home Theater board; it might have fallen to the middle of the page by now. It's extremely long, but the first few posts should give you an idea of what's happening. We might be able to arrange for it to visit the robotec household if you're interested.

Ed

robotec
05-15-2006, 07:11 AM
I read the threads and I am very impressed. I'll drop you a note when I am finished figuring out how I want to connect all of my peripheral equipment to the set. I am also considering purchasing a DVD player with a HDMI output. I am currently using the component outputs from my Sony DVD player.