Help with adding a Sub!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with adding a Sub!!

Gimes
05-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Ok, I'm researching tube amps and was reading the countless reviews of some JoLida products. The common theme was that the reviewers loved the product overwhelmingly, and if they did happen to list a weakness (rare), it was that the bass was a little low.

I listen to mostly classic rock and rock, so its not like I'll really miss the bass. But every so often I don't mind the ability to lower the boom, so to speak.

One reviewer in particular said: (quote)...Yes, the bass slam is weaker but with a sub hooked up to the speakers (302b does not have a sub out) I would choose this over mid-fi solid state gear everytime...(end quote) What the hell is he talking about? Is there some way to hook the sub directly into the speakers or something? my speakers are klipsch RF-5s and the sub is an SVS 20-39 CS.

Ultimately, my questionis: How can a sub be hooked up to a 2-channel system when the amp doesn't have dedicated pre-outs for one?

I know that if an integrated amp has pre-outs for an external amp, the sub can be plugged in there. I guess I'm more interested in this 'hooked up to the speakers' business.

that's all i have for now, thanks in advance for any ideas.

audio amateur
05-14-2006, 06:42 AM
That subwoofer appears to have dedicated "high level" speaker inputs, which means you can hook up the sub to the speaker "outs" on your integrated amp, with speaker wire.

audio_dude
05-14-2006, 09:26 AM
these are used very often for stereo applications, most newer subs have whats called a "high level input" so you connect the speaker wire to the sub, a crossover takes just the lower frequencies out and amplifies them, while leaving the high frequencies to the mains, you can ussually set a "high pass filter" to tell the sub what frequencies NOT to give you speakers, say your speakers go down to 50htz fine, but you want some bass, you set the xover on the sub to 50htz, so the speakers don't get any frequencies lower that that and the sub playes from 50htz down

hope this helps!