need help completing my system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need help completing my system

pass
01-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions from some true audiophiles. I'll admit I don't know what i'm doing right off the bat, so I could really use some advice.

I'm looking to add to my home system, right now I have:
Paradigm Titans (front), PS1000 sub, Denon AVR-2800 receiver, crappy surround speakers.

What do you guys suggest I buy to complete the system? I will probably use it 70/30 theater/music. Right now I am thinking of getting a Paradigm CC-170 center speaker and either getting a set of Paradigm towers and using the titans as surrounds, or just keeping the titans up front and getting some Paradigm surrounds.

Would a set of towers sound that much better than the Titans in this case, and if they are, which would you suggest? If not, which surrounds would you suggest? I will spend the money if I have to (up to $7-800/pr or so), but if its not going to be a big difference then I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

This Guy
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
is there anything you don't like about the Titans being your front speakers? What part of your system do you want to sound better? I personally would get some towers and the matching center for up front and move the titans to the back. But if you like the titans keep em up front and get the center channel and some paradigm bookshelves for the rears. Find a local paradigm dealer and see how their tower speakers sound matched with the center channel and see if it's worth the money.

-joey

Bryan
01-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Do you enjoy the Paradigm sound? If so, then look to get the towers and CC-170. If not, look elsewhere. If you stick with Paradigm move the Titans to surround duty. The Ascend Acoustics S22-1000 (http://www.ascendacoustics.com) system (3 - CBM-170s, pair HTM-200s) goes for $720 delivered. nOrh (http://www.nOrh.com) offers the Real Teak Prism system (pair of Prism 5.2, 3 Prism 3.0s) for $750 delivered or ceramic or wood 4.0 video system for $850.

Edited to add someone is selling three black marble nOrh 4.0s (http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1079095639) for $500 plus shipping on Audiogon.com. Seems like that may work well for you.

kexodusc
01-27-2004, 03:06 PM
I had a system about 4 years ago based on 4 Titans, a CC-170 and a PDR-12 in my apartment...I've since foolishly given it to my parents.
Assuming you are pleased with Paradigm's products so far, and since you enjoy HT more frequently than music, I would suggest either new Titans, Focus, Esprit or Phantoms, for mains, depending on your preference for bookshelf vs. towers and your budget. The CC-270 for a center channel...you'll probably like the CC-270 more than the 170. Either are decent center channels in that price range.
Since music is a lower priority for you, the ADP-170's may be a good choice as well, though I can't stand dipolar speakers, some prefer this in a surround environment, you should at least test them out.
Some feel since you have to pay for stands, you might as well invest in towers, however, in most brands I've seen at that price level (and even higher), the cabinet construction of the bookshelf speakers is more sonically agreeable than their larger counterparts. Since you have a decent sub-woofer, I don't think you'd be missing out on much.

pass
01-28-2004, 06:31 AM
OK thanks everyone. I guess I will have to go out and do some listening to see what I really want.

The Paradigms are the first set of decent speakers I've gotten so I don't have much to compare them too, but they sound good to me. I guess I wouldn't be completely against buying something besides Paradigms so I will look through the boards and see what other towers are recommended in my price range.

The only problem I can maybe see with the titans is that they sound a little 'light' during movies, I want a little more punch during action scenes and the like. Maybe adding the center speaker will do that for me. I think I'll go to the store and see how the Titans sound matched with the CC-170 and CC-270.

Thanks again!

Bryan
01-28-2004, 12:43 PM
The only problem I can maybe see with the titans is that they sound a little 'light' during movies, I want a little more punch during action scenes and the like.

Are you searching for something more along the lines of low frequencies (80Hz on down) or something else? If it is that the problem could be with the sub rather than the speakers. Just something to think about.

pass
01-30-2004, 08:45 PM
alright after watching a couple movies I think what makes the Titans sound a little light to me is a lack of midrange. To me the bass sounds good so I'm not worried about that, but it seems like there is a gap where the Titans leave off and the PS1000 begins. Would that be something that towers would fix?

I'll finally get to head out and listen to some speakers tomorrow and I think I will be sticking with Paradigm. I'll probably eventually get the CC-270 since I remember liking the CC-170 and bigger has to be better. As far as towers go, which is the best among the Phantoms, Legends, and the Monitor 7's? Any opinions on these speakers?

Thanks again everyone.

oh yeah, i'm simultaneously picking out a HDTV to buy as well. mmmm......HDTV.....(Homer drooling)

F1
01-31-2004, 12:56 AM
For now you need to get the best center, either CC370 or CC470. Later you need to get better front, either Mini Monitor or Monitor 3 if you get 370 or Studio 20 if you get 470 then move your Titan for surround. Forget to get floorstander as you already have a subwoofer. In the mean time try to adjust subwoofer crossover frequency and subwoofer volume to obtain seamless blend with the front. It is likely that you cut the LFE freq on your receiver too high and you set the sub crossover too low, leaving some freq gap. If your receiver has pre amp output, try to connect your sub from front pre out and play around with sub crossover (set your front as Large in this case).
Good luck.

kexodusc
01-31-2004, 04:14 AM
I agree with F1 completely, my friends have a few different setups based on Paradigm's Monitor series. I think these sound just as good if not better than Energy Connoisseur series...both are fantastic speakers. And both maybe a little on the bright side but well defined.
I have Paradigm Studio's they work well for me but they'll cost you quite a bit more. Something I'd agree with F1 on again is to go with the Mini Monitors or Monitor 3's. Personally, I find tower speakers in that price range from most companies usually don't have the greatest cabinet structures, and if anything it detracts from the sound. Since you already have a sub, you'd find better value in the smaller speakers. Like I said, my friend has a set of Mini's running off a NAD stereo receiver, and I can't believe how well they sound. If you're happy with Paradigm and intend on staying with that brand, you won't be disappointed.