The next step into Vinyl..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The next step into Vinyl.....

Florian
05-13-2006, 03:25 PM
OK, so i got the Goldring 1055 Catridge, the Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm, and the official Split Slab (sub chassy) and Acryl Platter. All running to my 3 piece tube preamp..... I got lucky, my Goldmund and Forsell friend gave me this 800$ cartridge and i found the rega setup 1hr drive from me for around 650USD......luck is wonderfull for me and this hobby.

:-)

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/76/c6/e6_1_b.JPG

jrhymeammo
05-13-2006, 06:04 PM
OK, so i got the Goldring 1055 Catridge, the Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm........
http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/76/c6/e6_1_b.JPG
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi Flo, nice analog setup you got there. I hope you'll get everything setup the way you want, so you can enjoy true music. I can't find or recall anything about the 1055. Is that a discontinued item, or is it only offered in Europe? Also, what would be your next upgrade for this section of your Hi-Fi?

If you ever come to Denver Colorado, I'll let to listen to my B&Ws you love so much. :cornut:

Florian
05-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the reply :-)

The 1055 was the top of the line Goldring about 2 years back i think, they can be found on ebay for 500USD sometimes. I will gladly visit you, when i reach Colorado someday but i think will go out for a few drinks and ill just look at your speakers. You can send me running when turning on B&W's ;-) The Split Slab Subchassie should be a good improvement and i will upgrade the wire with pure thin silver..

Cheers

Flo

PS: The quest for the Holy Grail is done with the speakers, there is nothing in this world like the modified divas that i have heard yet. My new amp and digital eq is comming next week. Then i will build some silver power cables and the new rack.....

Bernd
05-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi Flo,

Congrats on the new member of your audio family.
I have no experience with your cartridge and have never seen a split chassis Planar 3. You live and learn. As for the RB300 there is lot's of scope to work with. I would disable the spring downforce and just use the counter weight. And then replace the counter weight with one from Michell. And lastly rewire the arm with the Incognito (Cardas) set. These small changes will make one hell of a difference.
You are on the right track. That is one fine combo.:)

Peace

Bernd:16:

Florian
05-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Yup, i am climbing the ladder again :-) I will try all mods that you recommend, exept the Cardas one. My buddy tried that on the Goldmund T3F and it made it sound like a snail was crawling over the platter. I will use pure single stranded silver wire ;-)

Thanks

Flo

Bernd
05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Good Stuff Flo. I reckon I must be partial to some "Snail Sound":ciappa: as my rewired RB 600 sounded absolutly bloody marvelous:) with the Incognito Kit.:ihih:
Keep on climbing and enjoy those big black discs. By the way, don't try and play the little discs, which are on the left of your picture, on your new TT.:ciappa:

Peace

Florian
05-14-2006, 10:45 AM

The system is incredibly good by any High End extreme there is and i am overwelmed with breaching new grounds. You need to hear the DIVA now....it is beyond any competition (if it exists) in terms of speed, transparency, detail and pure neutralness. It makes a Quad sound like a snail crawling over B&W driver. Incredible!

The Rega is a good adventure and once i get the 3K ill buy the Goldmund.

-Flo

PS: I was awake 40 hrs yesteday and i helped my buddy move his 8500 records to his new home. 1.2 tons of records...LOL

JohnMichael
05-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Good Stuff Flo. I reckon I must be partial to some "Snail Sound":ciappa: as my rewired RB 600 sounded absolutly bloody marvelous:) with the Incognito Kit.:ihih:
Keep on climbing and enjoy those big black discs. By the way, don't try and play the little discs, which are on the left of your picture, on your new TT.:ciappa:

Peace

Bernd I have to join you in your positive impression of the Incognito rewire.

jrhymeammo
05-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I have a question about Incognito rewiring. I understand the company tweaks out Rega tables. Is it possible for them to tweak out my Pro-Ject table(Xpression 1)? Or am I required to purchase the Universal kit and have a tech in US install it?

Hey Flo I hope your auction will go succefully and thanks for the info on 1055. I agree that my B&Ws arent the best booksehlf speakers for the money, and will be traded for something different in about 2 years but for now it will do just fine. If you ever visit Colorado you must try Fat Tire Amber Ale.

Enjoy

Bernd
05-14-2006, 11:13 PM
I have a question about Incognito rewiring. I understand the company tweaks out Rega tables. Is it possible for them to tweak out my Pro-Ject table(Xpression 1)? Or am I required to purchase the Universal kit and have a tech in US install it?

Hey Flo I hope your auction will go succefully and thanks for the info on 1055. I agree that my B&Ws arent the best booksehlf speakers for the money, and will be traded for something different in about 2 years but for now it will do just fine. If you ever visit Colorado you must try Fat Tire Amber Ale.

Enjoy
Incognito is a set that uses Cardas wire to rewire Tonearms. They come in two guises. One is especially for Rega arms and one is a universal set. I have not heard that they tweak TTs, but the arm rewire is just astounding.:)
Not sure how to rewire the Project arm. The Rega was pretty straight forward.
Good Luck

Bernd
05-14-2006, 11:17 PM

The system is incredibly good by any High End extreme there is and i am overwelmed with breaching new grounds. You need to hear the DIVA now....it is beyond any competition (if it exists) in terms of speed, transparency, detail and pure neutralness. It makes a Quad sound like a snail crawling over B&W driver. Incredible!

The Rega is a good adventure and once i get the 3K ill buy the Goldmund.

-Flo

PS: I was awake 40 hrs yesteday and i helped my buddy move his 8500 records to his new home. 1.2 tons of records...LOL
Yes I know Vinyl is heavy. I think for 3K the Goldmund would be a good buy. But if you're after neutrality I would definitly give the SME's a long listen. Now that is neutral.

Peace