Hd - Dvd ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hd - Dvd ?

s dog
05-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I have just started reading and talking to people about hd-dvd. I have a 2 year old toshiba hd-tv with the HMDI hook up so im guessing i will be ok for the picture, but will we all have to get new receivers to handle the high rez audio 7.1 and i wonder if it will sound that much better than the 5.1 i have now, If i understand this correctly we can still hook the hd player to our old receivers and the player will down size the 7.1 to 5.1. This is all new to me so i might be wrong about everything. when i read about hmdi version 1.3 is this new audio format dts master audio and dolby true hd. I think it is going to take me a long time to understand all there is to know about HD-DVD, well i do know one thing its going to cost alot of money to get the whole thing rolling ,might be a year or so till i go for it.

musicman1999
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Wise man.I think waiting a year or so would be very smart,i myself am going to wait for a winner in the format war before i buy.I just don't want to buy a hd-dvd player now and have blu ray win the war.Read an artical in premiere magazine that indicated there would be a winner in this war and probably within a year.Blu ray has far more studio support,so more movies to chose from and bigger storage capacity,but hd-dvd is there first so thats an advantage.
should be interesting.

bill

superpanavision70mm
05-13-2006, 12:55 PM
If I were you I would also wait for the HD-DTS receivers to come into play as well.

musicman1999
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
You can do the decoding in player and extract it using the multi-channel analog output.I think it will be a while before recievers can decode the new formats and i don't think hdmi 1.3 is even official yet to transport the dd+,dts-hd or truehd yet.A couple of articles i have read seemed to indicate that in player decoding was going to be the way to go.
Have to wait and see.

bill

s dog
05-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Yea, im going to wait and see who comes out on top, That will give me some time to save up some $$ Thanks for the replys

Woochifer
05-14-2006, 04:54 PM
The new audio formats that will accompany HD-DVD and Blu-ray are Dolby Digital Plus, DD TrueHD, and DTS-HD. From what's been released so far, it looks like DD+ will be the default standard for most releases. It's standard resolution goes up to 6.0 Mb, which is more than 13x the resolution for standard DD and 4x the highest bitrate used by DTS. DD TrueHD and DTS-HD are both lossless formats, which means that they can equal the resolution of the original master.

Just because these new audio formats are capable of true 7.1 output does not mean that the soundtracks themselves will take full advantage of that capability. Even though 6.1 DTS ES and 5.1+ DD EX have been available for over five years, each of these back surround-encoded formats to date have less than 200 titles available. The dominant alignment for the foreseeable future will likely be 5.1, simply because that's how the majority of movie theaters are setup.

As far as DD+, DD TrueHD, and DTS-HD go, you'll need a HDMI 1.3 connection to output those audio formats digitally. But, as musicman mentioned, even before the receivers capable of decoding those audio formats come out, the players themselves will be able to output the audio via the analog outputs. But, Toshiba's first batch of HD-DVD players were far from fully ready with the audio.

Basically, HD-DVD was released before all the bugs got worked out and before the HDMI 1.3 standard was ready. Pretty much everything I've read indicates that the smartest move would be to wait. For one thing, at least a couple of manufacturers are hard at work on producing a drive that can read both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. And the video chipsets on the market can already read both formats and be installed inside both types of players.