Help! Speakers got all wet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Speakers got all wet

Mingus
05-13-2006, 10:44 AM
My neighbor left for vacation and left the care of their children and the house to the grandmother and the nanny. They were overzealous in watering the plants on top of the Studio 100s and the speakers got all wet. Now the speaker is starting to split around the edges because of the water overflow.

The granny and nanny didn't think the water will harm the speakers. They figure its only water. What is my neighbor to do. Can the speakers repair.

markw
05-13-2006, 10:50 AM
the bad news is that the (most likely) MDF cabinet absorb water like a sponge and swell. Cosmeticaly, this is a disaster but, unless they expanded to the point where they "buzz", they should sound fine.

my first wife did this to my Lancer 55's. ...more than once.

N. Abstentia
05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Dang that sucks.

HOWEVER, the dude should have known better than to put live plants that need WATER on top of his speakers. Not smart.

Mingus
05-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I agree. You are not going to believe it but it was the interior decorator's idea to soften the room by adding the plants. Originally the decorator recommended Bose speakers for the look. The studio 100s looks ugly after the accident but it looks like it didn't affect the sound. They relocated the plants.

N. Abstentia
05-14-2006, 05:56 AM
That's why they make fake plants!

http://www.chuckamuck.com/hometheater/palm1.jpg

Florian
05-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Yep!

I have fake plants too, my buddy spilled water inside the 200wpc all tube Conrad Johnson P5 Monos.....Kaboom!

superpanavision70mm
05-14-2006, 08:18 AM
this is also why interior decorators are not audiophiles

shokhead
05-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Hope he doesnt have a plant on his SVS plant stand. Plants and speakers do not mix. Let them dry complete without help and try them.

N. Abstentia
05-14-2006, 03:00 PM
If they are rattling apart, a cabinet shop or carpenter can go inside and brace them. Won't help the external looks though...unless you have the cabinet shop cover them with formica, which looks nice actually.

Florian
05-16-2006, 07:08 AM
Make an insurence claim and buy the next top model :cornut: