Finish this sentence........... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finish this sentence...........

Jefferson
01-27-2004, 01:03 PM
If you like Interpol , British Sea Power and And You Will Know Them By the Trail of Dead , then you'll probably like _____________________________.

Slosh
01-27-2004, 01:10 PM
If you like Interpol , British Sea Power and And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead , then you'll probably like _____________________________.

Broken Social Scene

mad rhetorik
01-27-2004, 01:15 PM
If you like Interpol , British Sea Power and And You Will Know Them By the Trail of Dead , then you'll probably like _____________________________.

Joy Division.

-Jar-
01-27-2004, 01:18 PM

At the Drive-In
Sunny Day Real Estate
Unwound

Davey.
01-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Only got a minute right now but Maybe I'll come back later. Or if you want more details let me know. Most of these have been talked about here before.

The last Idlewild album, The Remote Part, is along those lines, a little moreso than the also very good one that preceded it, 100 Broken Windows.

I'd seriously give a listen to the last and final Unwound album, a double CD called Leaves Turn Inside You. One of my favorites of a couple years ago. Kind of picks up on the Sonic Youth side of the equation, as does Trail of Dead.

Also one that I've mentioned a lot and actually included along with the British Sea Power mystery disc I sent out last year, The Libertines' Up The Bracket. More on the Clash and Kinks side than the Joy Division and Smiths side, but fits along with some of BSP. Kind of an English version of the Strokes.

Sloshy's Broken Social Scene is certainly a great pick as it was my favorite of last year. Not as rocking as BSP and Trail of Dead, but similarities to all of the bands. Have you checked out the Dismemberment Plan yet? Kind of adds in some Talking Heads and King Crimson and XTC into the mix along with nods to Devo and the other bands we've mentioned. Definitely you should have a copy of Emergency & I if you're gonna calll yourself cool :)

More on the tip of my tongue.......

Jefferson
01-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Is "Shiney objects" a band or humor? :D

I've listened to Joy Division for decades and I have some stuff by Sunny Day Real Estate and I would agree with those recomendations.

Broken Social Scene and At the Drive In have been on my "to get list" for awhile so with this added impetus hopefully I'll pick up something soon.

Thanks for the input guys!

Jefferson
01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
.....The Dismemberment Plan and The Libertines are on my wish list also.

Sometimes at night when I can't sleep I'll sit and go through the various links on AMG for fricken hours, its a great site and resource but sheesh, it can be addictive too.

Thanks Davey! :)

Jim Clark
01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Dude, you're addicted. I love it.

Yep, some good recs there, you can go broke asking a question like around here you know.

I'd also throw The Faint into the mix as well although it's more electro than the others but I would think would appeal to a similar crowd that also likes Interpol and BSP. Easy association for me to make but others may disagree, especially Davey. Think I mentioned the Chameleons yesterday and that would probably be a good fit as well although obviously much older.

jc

Jefferson
01-27-2004, 01:59 PM
......you know between trying to keep up with new stuff and trying to aquire on cd all the stuff I had on vinyl prior to 85 it can be time consuming.

Did my e-mail note make it through Jim? I've been having some odd probs with e-mail since I installed a new version of Norton the other day. :mad: Let me know.

Slosh
01-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Is "shiney objects" a band or humor? :D

Actually, I don't think much of BSP (I do like the Bowie-esqueness though) and even less of Interpol so I'm probably speaking a little out of turn here. I do like ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead quite a bit (especially "Madona") however.

I don't care for Joy Division or The Chameleons either so me liking Trail Of The Dead and BSS must come from someplace else. Weird how that works sometimes ;)

Jefferson
01-27-2004, 02:10 PM
...........have you listened to Interpol much? If you're like me sometimes it can take awhile for things to sink in. Personally I like Interpol more thanTrail of Dead and I like Trail of Dead more than British Sea Power but then BSP is the band of the three that I've listened to the least. It doesn't matter though, it's just that I'm really impressed with Interpol and you know how that can be. :)

tugmcmartin
01-27-2004, 02:20 PM
"having your scrotum squeezed by a nutcracker while listening to fingernails screech down a blackboard cuz thats about as painful as their music is to listen to."

Actually, i've never heard anything by those bands, so i can't really say thats what it would be like. I just thought i'd take a shot at some off color humor.

Cheers!

T-

Slosh
01-27-2004, 02:26 PM
...........have you listened to Interpol much?

Yeah, I've had "...Bright Lights" since it was new. Don't like the whiney 80s-esque vocals mostly. No problem with the music itself.

Haven't played it in at least a year and I probably should give it another shot. It's just that there's so much new music that I do like out there that it seems like a waste of time listening and hoping it'll soon be growing on me. Frankly, I don't have time as it is now to fully absorb the albums that I know I'll like. Yeah, well.

Oh, BTW, thought of another one: The Wrens - The Meadowlands should definitely suit your tastes :)

Jefferson
01-27-2004, 02:33 PM
......as I said, I like em so much I just figure everyone will. ;)

Oh, Tug had me going for a second there too. :D

Davey.
01-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Another old one that comes to mind since I was just playing it yesterday is Crazy Rhythms by the Feelies. Kind of a favorite around these parts, I think. Similar vintage as the Joy Division reference, although not as bleak. Brilliant and nearly timeless album in its own right. And can't forget those first three Wire albums.

A more recent one that I forgot to mention is the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. The debut has lots of Joy Division and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Haven't heard the newer one, but that first one is really good.

And of course, that The Jesus and Mary Chain tangent leads us closer to My Bloody Valentine territory, but that's a whole 'nother bottle of wine so we'll leave the cork in it for now. I did recently have a thread going about Catherine Wheel's outstanding (and most essential) Chrome album, though ......:)

EDIT: For some reason I wrote Jane's Addiction when I meant The Jesus and Mary Chain :)

Dusty Chalk
01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Definitely you should have a copy of Emergency & I if you're gonna calll yourself cool :)(wipes brow)

Stone
01-28-2004, 06:39 AM

Clinic
Chameleons
Wire
Sonic Youth
Pixies

Mr MidFi
01-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Howard Dean?
Ka Prao Chicken?
Back rubs?
The all-new Nissan Altima?

I'm here to help...

Davey.
01-28-2004, 02:12 PM
And don't forget, the Walkmen resurface on February 3 with Bows and Arrows.

http://news.modernrock.com/2498