Has anyone heard these CDs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard these CDs?

ForeverAutumn
05-13-2006, 05:13 AM
I've got a rather large list of new music to check out and I can't afford them all, so can anyone provide any comments on how good the following bands are? Have you heard the CDs and were they any good?

The Raconteurs
City and Colour
Fall Out Boy
Mobile
Angels and Airwaves
Wolfmother
The Storys
Josh Ritter
Drive-By Truckers

Thanks,
FA

Finch Platte
05-13-2006, 05:32 AM
I've got a rather large list of new music to check out and I can't afford them all, so can anyone provide any comments on how good the following bands are? Have you heard the CDs and were they any good?

The Raconteurs
City and Colour
Fall Out Boy
Mobile
Angels and Airwaves
Wolfmother
The Storys
Josh Ritter
Drive-By Truckers

Thanks,
FA

I've got the Wolfmother, and was underwhelmed. Don't buy that one. :frown2:

It's just plain boring. Heard that, done that, with a singer who sounds like Phil Mogg (UFO) sometimes. :cornut:

More underwhelmnest on DBT: http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=432590&CategoryID=136919&startcat=1&ThreadID=2506199 ...and more, if you can wade thru the insults: http://www.obner.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=17084&highlight=drive+truckers

If you simply must hear Wolfmom, let me know. :ihih:

fp

Stone
05-13-2006, 05:38 AM
Drive-By Truckers

I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but my initial spins of it haven't had me wanting to either. So far it has come off as slow and kind of boring, in contrast to their last couple of records.

audiobill
05-13-2006, 06:17 AM
I'm going to have to beg to differ with our other fellow RRers who've posted above.

The Wolfmother is a fun album to listen to.

Yes. It is derivative, but who cares?? I don't. It's a perfect blend of Led Zep, White Stripes, Black Sabbath (at times) and, yes, UFO vocals (at times). Nevertheless, this blend works for me.

Similarly, the Drive-By-Truckers disc is also quite good. FA, I have everything this band has put out and this one works for me. It's less cohesive thematically than what they've done in the past, but the songs work well, esp once loaded on the iPod. It also works well on the stereo at home. If you want a review of it that, by the way, I happen to fully agree with go to allmusic's review on the net.

Happy shopping,

Bill

kexodusc
05-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Fall out boy is typical mall punk/emo crap....I couldn't trade that one in fast enough...

Finch Platte
05-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Fall out boy is typical mall punk/emo crap....I couldn't trade that one in fast enough...

Yeah, think she threw that one in to see if we were paying attention. :)

fp

Davey
05-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Scott Walker - The Drift
Black Heart Procession - The Spell
Eleventh Dream Day - Zeroes and Ones
Willard Grant Conspiracy - Let It Roll
The Deadstring Brothers - Starving Winter Report
Built To Spill - You In Reverse
The Appleseed Cast - Peregrine
Howe Gelb - 'Sno Angel Like You

Thanks,
FA
Yeah, just ordered that new Scott Walker but I'll keep you posted. Not released in the US until the 23 but I went ahead and snagged mine from the UK. Should be the brilliant but indescribable sound of a mad genius still working in another dimension. Can't wait.

Oh man, the Black Heart Procession, I love those guys! Just got the new one but haven't been able to really explore it yet. Sure to be one of my favorites by year's end as they really can do no wrong by me. Adore all 4 of the previous albums, and this one includes the continuing saga of the Waiter, chapter 5.

Yeah baby, Eleventh Dream Day, gotta dig it. Love that sand blasted Neil Young meets the Velvet Underground sound. Always have, always will. It makes no apologies for sounding pretty much like the last one, and none required.

Willard Grant Conspiracy, just a gem of a collective. Oredred ths new one from a guy on ebay since it probably will never be released in their home country, and don't have it yet, but had to keep up with tentoze and JD and the other WGC mongers. One of my favorite modern bands. The guy's voice is worth hundreds of sparrows (sorry for the Sparklehorse reference, but wish that Linkous guy had something new out).

Damn, that new Deadstring Brothers is some good ol' bluesy americana rock and roll. Think of the Band mixed with the Glimmer Twins. Takes you back to Dylan's basement, and another time. Maybe too far back for some, but makes a vintage guy like me smile a bunch more than usual.

Doesn't get much better than Built To Spill on my music merry go round, and this new one squeezes me in all the right places. Golden, with lots of jammy goodness. But already a pretty big Rave Recs favorite.

The Appleseed Cast may be Jimbo's favorite hometown band, but hopefully that doesn't tarnish their reputation too much. However, a prog-punk allegory of a hunter and a falcon, in this case taking the form of a family separated, a daughter’s ghost, a once loving father racked with guilt, brutality manifesting like a shell around him, a son fighting against his enmity, and the avenging angel, the daughter, Peregrine...yeah, me too, sounds godawful pretentious at best. Top it off with packaging that looks like a book by a medieval scholar, and a silly slip cover strip calling them America's answer to Radiohead, and things are looking pretty grim in the heartland. But yikes, I really like it! I know it sounds like I just described any of a stack of Rush albums, but the music leans more toward indie post-rock, fueled by distorted guitars and epic drumming, and fortunately with only a smattering of those dreaded three letters, e-m-o.

Howe Gelb and a Canadian church choir. Maybe a cliche, but sounds like a match made in heaven, and it is. Probably my best album of the year so far. Just a charming and totally enjoyable listen from the first note to the last.

Hope that helps ;)

ToddL
05-13-2006, 08:27 AM
City and Colour is Dallas Green who is in Alexisonfire. It is very Dashboard Confessional.

Slosh
05-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Oh man, the Black Heart Procession, I love those guys! Just got the new one but haven't been able to really explore it yet. Sure to be one of my favorites by year's end as they really can do no wrong by me. Adore all 4 of the previous albums, and this one includes the continuing saga of the Waiter, chapter 5.
First couple of spins I liked it and all but I thought maybe it was too same-y throughout. Now that I'm in double digit spins each of the songs are becoming entities unto themselves. Just another very good BHP album, as expected.

Grandaddy's Just Like The Fambly Cat has grown on me big time, especially now that I don't have to suffer lossy sonics. They're like BHP for me in that all of their albums are solid and you can't really go wrong with any of them. Sucks that they're no more but perhaps it'll spawn a couple of new bands.

Oh, and don't listen to the Garden Ruin haters. Quality alt/country/indie pop that I've come to expect from those Calexico boys (no matter what band they're playing with).

NP: Kid Dakota - The West Is The Future (just keeps getting better and better for me)

Bernd
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM

The Raconteurs
City and Colour
Fall Out Boy
Mobile
Angels and Airwaves
Wolfmother
The Storys
Josh Ritter
Drive-By Truckers

Thanks,
FA

IMHO.

Fall Out Boy is you're run of the mill pretend punk band.:ciappa:
the other one from your list that I know is Josh Ritter. His Hello Starling offering is playing right now and is quality singer/songwriter material with the added bonus of a decent recording. Very melodic. A great disc for the summer that sounds in part like "The fat Lady sings - Twist".Good stuff.
Hope this makes the decision any easier.

Peace

Bernd:16:

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2006, 07:13 AM
City and Colour is Dallas Green who is in Alexisonfire. It is very Dashboard Confessional.

Thanks Todd. I knew that Dallas Green was doing some solo work but I didn't realize that this is it. I'm not a fan of Alexisonfire (and was going to nominate them in the stupid band name thread). Since starting this thread, I've listened to a couple of City and Colour tracks on My Space. This is about as far from Alexisonfire as Green could have gotten and the tracks bored me. I've crossed it off my list for now.

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah, think she threw that one in to see if we were paying attention.

I've only ever heard one song by this band and I kind of liked it. But based on these comments I'll take the disk off my list for now. Too many other good things to choose from.

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2006, 07:20 AM
IMHO.

Fall Out Boy is you're run of the mill pretend punk band.:ciappa:
the other one from your list that I know is Josh Ritter. His Hello Starling offering is playing right now and is quality singer/songwriter material with the added bonus of a decent recording. Very melodic. A great disc for the summer that sounds in part like "The fat Lady sings - Twist".Good stuff.
Hope this makes the decision any easier.

Peace

Bernd

Thanks Bernd. Ritter has made it to the A-list.

Davey
05-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks Bernd. Ritter has made it to the A-list.
Yeah, for a more serious answer, Bernd is right, Hello Starling is a very nice record. There are a few fans around here. Might be more alt-country than you prefer, though. Not sure. The new one is also supposed to be very good, with a bit more of the accessible pop sound, and was done with the help of one of my favorite producer/engineers in Brian Deck from Chicago. Used to be part of Red Red Meat/Califone and has worked with Modest Mouse and many others. One of the real good guys in modern recording. Cool cover on the CD too.

NP: The Walkabouts - Ended Up A Stranger
Just got this one from 2002 and it's really nice. Shouldn't have waited so long. Carla, as always, is a gem of a singer. Kinda wish she sang the lead even more often. The band is hot. The music is great. Love that gothic Americana with the cinematic ambience. Hints of the Mekons and Nick Cave on this one. Even the sound is pretty nice, with Phil Brown co-producing and mixing along with the band, and Denis Blackham mastering. Brown and Blackham are a pretty good team. I have some others they've worked on like the Talk Talk reissue of Spirit of Eden that sounds great. Just honest and natural, without the fake pizzaz that wrecks a lot of modern CDs. As usual, pretty nice guest list including members of Pearl Jam, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Madder Rose, Fountains of Wayne and the Posies.

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Yeah, for a more serious answer, Bernd is right, Hello Starling is a very nice record. There are a few fans around here. Might be more alt-country than you prefer, though. Not sure. The new one is also supposed to be very good, with a bit more of the accessible pop sound, and was done with the help of one of my favorite producer/engineers in Brian Deck from Chicago. Used to be part of Red Red Meat/Califone and has worked with Modest Mouse and many others. One of the real good guys in modern recording. Cool cover on the CD too.

I've been streaming the new CD off of his web site, this morning. It's excellent.