Any good current/recent R&B out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any good current/recent R&B out there?

nobody
05-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Been wanting to pick up some good new r&b, but don't have too many ideas. Heard a coupel things that I may wanna grab, but looking for more suggestions.

Here are my brief suggestions for now...

Van Hunt: On the Jungle Floor
What I've heard is a nice blend of r&b and funk with a bit of rock tossed in...Prince an obvious influence, but lots of old school influence in there too. He even does an obscure Iggy Pop song just for good measure.

Leela James: A Change Is Gonna Come
Another female neo-soul singer. If you still dig the semi-modern sounding, yet totally 70s soul influenced records, here's a nother one for ya.

So....c'mon, somebody on here's gotta listen to some modern r&b sometime...right?

shokhead
05-13-2006, 05:05 AM
Ever listen to Robert Cray?

nobody
05-13-2006, 05:15 AM
yeah...although not for quite a few years...

He's pretty good, but I'm not really looking for blues stuff. Has he put anything especially interesting out lately?

MindGoneHaywire
05-13-2006, 07:16 AM
R. Kelly. The DVD of Trapped In The Closet was the best album I heard all last year. Or, I should say, best album I saw. I saw part of it on tv & got the DVD & it's an incredible, inspired piece of work.

I had to swallow a lot of distaste for what I've heard about this guy, obviously. People who do the sorts of things he is reported to have done are not the sort I want to support. Beyond that, I am not much of a fan of contemporary R&B, and I've never heard anything by this guy that made me interested one whit. But this...is something else. It's a rap/R&B hybrid, with a great story, although it might have been better if it'd been shorter. Some of the rhymes do strain at times. But that's a small quibble with this.

And nobody seems to like it, or at least I haven't seen any praise for it. Lots of haters out there. But I think they've got rocks in their heads, and that's easier to say since most of the slams are prefaced with 'I gave this a chance & didn't think about what a disgusting creep he is...' or some such disclaimer.

I'm more in awe of the White Stripes rec by the day, but I think the video here adds a dimension that works & overall I think it's just great.

A couple decent tracks on the new Prince rec, but while I like him quite a bit, I just don't listen to much else contemporary R&B. I do have a Van Hunt rec around here I'll throw on based on yr rec. But I've been listening to 6 hours of Howard Stern on a daily basis since he went to Sirius which probably leaves less time for music than at any time in my life...what can I say. Baba Booey to y'all.

Bernd
05-14-2006, 10:08 AM
The modern stuff that pretends to be R&B is not really my cup of Tea. However I just picked up "Alana Davis - Surrender Dorothy". Good Stuff, more like the proper gear from way back when. Vocally she sounds like a cross between Shelby Lynne and Joss Stone, the music having a soft Steely Dan centre wrapped in a Sade outer coating.:cornut:
You might like.:cornut:

Peace

Bernd:16: