Really Crappy Band Names? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Really Crappy Band Names?

nobody
05-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Ever think if a band didn't have such a crappy name they may have actually had a better career?

My wife and I were pondering this question last night when we heard Mary's Danish playing a great song, Killjoy. We both agreed that the band's name was so crappy that even though that album with the cheeseburger on the front (I can't remember the name, but it was probably crappy too) was pretty darn good at the time, they pretty much fell off the map after that. I say the name was at least one reason. Mary's Danish? What made them think that was a good idea? Why not Bob's Donut? Why not just about anything else?

Anyohne else have some band names you think hurt a group? Or that just bug the hll outta ya?

Swish
05-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Ever think if a band didn't have such a crappy name they may have actually had a better career?

My wife and I were pondering this question last night when we heard Mary's Danish playing a great song, Killjoy. We both agreed that the band's name was so crappy that even though that album with the cheeseburger on the front (I can't remember the name, but it was probably crappy too) was pretty darn good at the time, they pretty much fell off the map after that. I say the name was at least one reason. Mary's Danish? What made them think that was a good idea? Why not Bob's Donut? Why not just about anything else?

Anyohne else have some band names you think hurt a group? Or that just bug the hll outta ya?

the Beatles. Those guys could have chosen something much more interesting, like the Turtles or the Animals.

Swish

J*E*Cole
05-13-2006, 06:45 PM
The The.

'nuff said...

Glen B
05-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Butthole Surfers. Ugh. What were they thinking ?

Davey
05-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, most band names are kinda lame, even some of my favorites. I mean, check out some of the bands I've been listening to lately like, Black Heart Procession, Eleventh Dream Day, Willard Grant Conspiracy, The Walkabouts, Red Red Meat, The Deadstring Brothers, Built To Spill, The Appleseed Cast. Kinda goofy, one and all. And what about that perennial Rave Recs favorite, Porcupine Tree? Talk about making it hard on yourself. If ever there was an award for silliest band name ...

But speaking of Mary's Danish, and yeah, stupid name, but Julie Ritter went on to put out a great rock album in 1999 called Songs Of Love And Empire. Very accomplished. Don't know what's been happening to her in the last few years, but she definitely caught my attention back then.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/julieritter

Mr MidFi
05-15-2006, 05:29 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the members of Echo & the Bunnymen always regretted saddling themselves with that dumb name.

Among current bands, I have to agree with Davey about Built to Spill. Anytime someone asks me what I'm listening to these days, they are one of the bands I always mention...and the listener invariably says, "what?"

And maybe it's just me, but what the hell does "Coldplay" even mean?

NP: 10,000 Maniacs

bobsticks
05-15-2006, 05:58 AM
Kajagoogoo--'nuff said

Dusty Chalk
05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes. As opposed to what, "No"?

The Who.

unleasHell
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Dead Kennedy's

jrhymeammo
05-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Steely Dan..... if you have to ask me, then I will tell you. But my post may get deleted with a warning from Eric the head huncho.

j1102873mn
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Using THE in front of band names is a godawful convention that should be outlawed! It is unnecessary and dated, IMO.

ForeverAutumn
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Using THE in front of band names is a godawful convention that should be outlawed! It is unnecessary and dated, IMO.

So does that mean The The, should just be called The? :biggrin5:

Barenaked Ladies don't have a The. But everyone puts one in anyway.

Dusty Chalk
05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Using THE in front of band names is a godawful convention that should be outlawed! It is unnecessary and dated, IMO.You joined just to post that?

(applauds)

Troy
06-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Personally, I like the band names The Butthole Surfers and Dead Kennedys. They are punk bands with a lot of quirk. The names fit the band.

Mary's Danish always cracked me up too.

Steely Dan was named after a dildo. It's ok to say that here, isn't it? You do know what 10CC was named for too, right?

I always thought the name Tears for Fears was particularly lame. Umphrey's McGee too. The The? Off the stupid scale.

I've had enough of names like INXS, XTC, ELP, ABWH, etc.

Porcupine Tree is stupid, yeah, but Spock's Beard is WAY worse.

kexodusc
06-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Rainbow Butt Monkeys, Goblin Cock, and Franz Ferdinand are stupid. And any band name that tries to sound dark, morbid, depressed, tortured, etc...aka Disturbed, Hurt, Pain of Salvation, Staind, Morbid Angel, Rizn Angel, pretty much anything loosely related with an angel, anything gothic, etc....
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

jrhymeammo
06-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Man, I forgot abou this one, the band is called EyeHateGod. I've partied with'em after a show YEARS ago. It's kinda funny cuz they are just sweet hearts. Hehehehehehe.

rob7
06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Death Cab for Cutie? Fall Out Boy?

Or these gems--

EnuffZnuff
Britny Fox
Kix

And to a small extent--Metallica. Generically creative? Or just generic?

ToddL
06-10-2006, 12:09 PM
The BrianJonestown Massacre
-clever but impractical

Stone
06-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Death Cab for Cutie?

Named after a Bonzo Dog Band song, which have a pretty bad band name, if you ask me.

superpanavision70mm
06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Jethro Tull....still to this day people think that's the name of the singer.

Swish
06-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Jethro Tull....still to this day people think that's the name of the singer.

That was the name of a Dutch farmer who invented crop rotation...or something like that. I was at a hockey game tonight and had several beers, so I may be a little bit out of touch with reality.

Swish

Geoffcin
06-11-2006, 07:39 PM
"Toad the wet sprocket"

Mescaline induced for sure

3-LockBox
06-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Crappy band names are, as crappy band names do...just like some of those radical NFL uniforms. If an NFL team changes uni's to some radical design, but the team still sucks, then its a crappy inform; but if the team starts winning, then everyone will buy that team's jersey, no matter how gastly it looks.

Most all rock bands (progressive or otherwise) have crappy names. Some are tolerated because the music is good.

My nominee:

The GooGoo Dolls. WTF? Double wammy here...crappy name and the music is abominable.

Anyone hear their cover of *Supertramp's 'Give A Little Bit'?

*(an example of great band, dumb name)

KEXPMF
06-22-2006, 08:56 PM
how 'bout the ones you can't even pronounce?

zzyzx (they copied it from that road you see on the way from L.A. to Las Vegas)

Athenaeum (I think they later changed it and had more success?)

PEOPLE PLEASE...DON'T NAME YOUR BAND SOMETHING UNPRONOUNCEABLE! What ARE you thinking?? :)

KEXPMF
06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Steely Dan was named after a dildo. It's ok to say that here, isn't it? You do know what 10CC was named for too, right?

I always thought the name Tears for Fears was particularly lame. Umphrey's McGee too. The The? Off the stupid scale.

I've had enough of names like INXS, XTC, ELP, ABWH, etc.

Porcupine Tree is stupid, yeah, but Spock's Beard is WAY worse.

Armageddon Dildos. (what is it with the German bands and ridiculous names... someone needs to do a marketing survey)

Umphree's McGee - an awful name for a damn good band :cornut:

ericl
06-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Steely Dan..... if you have to ask me, then I will tell you. But my post may get deleted with a warning from Eric the head huncho.
???? what the heck does that mean?

pretty much any current indie rock bands name is stupid if you ask me. "death cab for cutie" ,"my morning jacket" ?? they could have the greatest music in the world, but their names make me hate them. the hipster cachet doesn't help them any either.

eric