Quality stereo wanted! Recommendations please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quality stereo wanted! Recommendations please!

Gimes
05-12-2006, 08:58 PM
I've finally decided to break up my multi-channel set up, and dedicate my mains and sub to a strictly stereo 2-channel set (if you're using a sub, is it then considered a 3-channel set?).

Klipsch RF-5 mains
SVS 20-39 CS sub
Denon DP500M turntable

What I'd like to get some help with, or some suggestions on, is what to power these with (pardon the grammar)? I've looked at Rotel, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, etc, and haven't really settled on anything. I know the Klipsch are efficient and don't necessarily need a ton of power, but I'm looking for something worth upgrading to, if that makes sense.

CDs mostly, with vinyl as well. A tuner to be added later, if not included in receiver/amp.

On a side note, not really sure what I'm going to do with my multichannel leftovers yet, but I enjoy movies too much to not keep it going. The possibility of returning the SVS to the HT is possible, depending on how well I'm able to round up some discontinued, but still available Klipsch Reference items.

superpanavision70mm
05-13-2006, 02:48 AM
I have quite a few questions before I can even begin to give any suggestions. Are you looking for a receiver or an amplifier for your power? If so, what is your price range and what are you expected to get from this? Are you satisfied with mid-fi or are you trying to go hi-fi. It would be great to know what your goals are with the system and also to know which equipment you are looking for exactly and then of course what budget you have to work with. A 2-channel system with a sub would be called a 2.1 system, just like a 5.1 system minus the surrounds and center channel. What are you currently using to play your CD's?

Gimes
05-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Ok, I'll try and help you out. I'm currently using a receiver that I've had for 5+ years from Best Buy, nothing exciting. If another receiver will give me the pure 2.1 HiFi I'm looking for, then I have no problem with buying one. But to be quite honest, I wouldn't mind getting into an amplifier set up and finding out what that has to offer in place of a receiver.

This particular set up is going to be music only, and I'm looking for the best I can get from my speakers. The way I understand it, the Klipsch won't require the top of the line for that to happen. Would mono-blocking these RF5s be a waste of time? Would tube amps be applicable? Would an integrated amp be more along the lines of practicality? Or would just a nice pre/power amp set up be my best bet? I don't know the answers here, so if someone does, let me know! I'm definiely looking to get more into this hobby than I have been, I do know that much.

As far as budget goes, I'm willing to spend a good bit. Its all going to depend on what the component does for my listening experience. For example, I've checked out the Rotel RC 1070 Stereo Preamp coupled with either the RB 1050 (70 W x 2 ch) or the RB 1070 (130 W x 2 ch) Power amp. This pairing would cost me between $1500-2000, and I'd be perfectly alright with that if it suited me the best, or if it gave me the pure musical listening environment that I'm looking for. (this pairing doesn't seem to be able to add a sub, is that true? the sub may go back to my HT anyway, but it'd be nice to have the option of keeping the sub with the RF5s, its a good pairing)

I'm currently using a Pioneer 5-disc DVD changer to play CDs. I think I'll keep this player with the Pioneer receiver for the HT, just makes the most sense. So I'll be replacing it with a new CD player for the stereo set up. Suggestions on that are welcomed as well. I currently have digital coax audio and component video, just for reference.

Hmmm, I hope this helps. Thanks for your input!

audio_dude
05-13-2006, 01:54 PM
you mentioned tube amps eh? maybe you should look at an amp from Jolida, they make some very nice hybrid amps (tube preamp, solid state power amp) by the way, the preamp is what gives the sound its "tone" so the solid state amp won't make it sound much different from a regular tube power amp...

Gimes
05-13-2006, 02:51 PM
ok, so i spent the last hour looking over JoLida's website, I'm very intrigued. I haven't even gotten to the products yet, still trying to get a grasp on what tube amplification is all about. The site is very simple, and set up perfectly for a newcomer.

From what I've read, I'll only need a tube amp rated around 40 W per channel to drive my Klipsch very nicely, eh? Do tube amps accomodate a sub?

N. Abstentia
05-13-2006, 04:15 PM
If I was looking for a 2 channel music only setup, this would absolutely be near the top of my list:

http://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Now that is sweet.

Gimes
05-13-2006, 05:35 PM
the Outlaw RR2150 certainly fulfills my needs. Phono, Sub, Power, etc.

I have to say that if i end up going with a receiver, this one will be hard to beat. I'm certainly crossing the Marantz PM7200 and the Rotel RA-1062 off my list as neither of these Integrated Amps have a subw option.

Looking into the JoLida site some more, I found the possibility of setting up a 2-channel tube amp system, with a 3-channel hybrid amp add-on that would enable an HT option. The JoLida JD 1704RC is the hybrid add-on with a dedicated subw option built in. Can this be paired with any stereo amplifier/receiver? Or would it have to be a Jolida tube amp?

For instance, could the JD 1704RC be added to the Rotel 1062??

The one negative in trying to build the tube amp stereo/HT set up desribed above is that I'd lose my center channel (if i did my research correctly that is). As far as I can tell, I'd just have mains, rears and a sub. I like my center channel, so I wouldn't be realy excited about not being able to utilize it in my HT.

Anyway, this is all great stuff. What a day its been already. Thanks fellas.

jrhymeammo
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I've always found Rotel Receivers and Amps to be sloppy at lower volume level. But they sound great when cranked up and they will crank up, but you already have Klipsch. And for your main speakers, sound of Klipsch to me is very crisp so I would go with Jolida. Just dont buy any tube gears from Hong Kong on EBay, since it is virtually impossible to repair or ask questions when it goes...........

Or you should buy this one and tell us about it.
http://www.vincentaudio.com.au/prdct_sv-236.htm

Enjoy

musicman1999
05-13-2006, 07:12 PM
There are other ways to drive a sub.If you use an integrated and it has pre-outs for an external amp,you can run cables from your pre-outs to the left and right inputs on your sub.I do this when running my system in stereo and it works great.

bill

Gimes
05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Whoa, info overload. Thanks for all the information guys, but I'm even more confused than I started. I love everything I've looked at so far, The JoLida looks like a good bet, the Vincent is unreal (but I don't know a thing about it, not a whole lot of info on the site, I'll bet its expensive though). However, I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with replacing fuses and tubes and all that, although it does sound interesting. I just don't have that kind of time right now, maybe in a few years. I think I'll definitely go with tubes in the future, maybe I'll try them when I finally decide to try boxless speakers.

The Outlaw looks bad ass, and has all the options I need. I'd still like to get into pre/power amp world though, so I'm still hesitant to go with a receiver.

musicman - i'd like to know more about driving a sub from an integrated amp that doesn't have a dedicated sub channel. Can this be done with the aforementioned Marantz or Rotel? How do I know if an integrated amp has preouts for an external amp? Or are you just talking about some existing pre outs labeled otherwise? thanks

I'm trying to absorb as much of this as I can right now, so I appreciate all the input. I've got a massive amount of research to do, and right now I'm overwhelmed. But that's better than where I started the day.

Florian
05-14-2006, 04:15 AM
I will write a good report on quality products soon too. Keep the Vincent in mind, the Jolida, Monarchy Audio and some others. I will write more later....

Gimes
05-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Not sure how I missed this one before, but here's what I'm looking at real hard. Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amp:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1647.asp#

I'll give a listen to it at a local store (Marantz is covered pretty well in this area), hopefully they'll have some Klipsch in store as well.

So what are going to be the major differences between the Marantz and JoLida? Vincent? What additions are available to set up a HT using the 7001 (or the others) with the mains and sub? A mutli-channel power amp could be used with this integrated to add the rest of the channels, right?

audio_dude
05-14-2006, 11:23 AM
you don't need a dedicated "sub out" to use a sub, just get an active sub with a "high level" input, this means you can take the speaker out put from your amp, run it to the sub, the sub will amplify the low frequencies and give the rest back to the speakers through another output.

musicman1999
05-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Gimes

The 7001 does have preouts and would drive a sub perfectly well,as does the Rotel.Driving your sub this way will work better than using the speaker level option because you still send a full range signal to your mains.

bill

superpanavision70mm
05-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Gimes,

It might be best for you to figure out what type of budget you have to work with. Then narrow down where you want to deligate that money and then you have more room to work with and can eliminate certain things and highlight others. You may want to ask Bernd about doing strictly 2 channel tube amp and all that ...he is the expert.

hermanv
05-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I think you are going about this somewhat backwards.

I recommend you just go listen to a number of systems at a variety of price points. Only then can you decide whether a given piece of equipment at a certain price meets your needs.

I get this question all the time and it usually means that the person asking has no idea of what can be done or how much can be spent.

For your $2,000 you can do much better with used gear. The problem is you have to know at least a little about brands and sound quality because the used gear rarely offers a listening opportunity. Try this internet site, it is one of the biggest: http://www.audiogon.com/

Sometimes you get lucky and a used item is within driving distance, by all means go and listen. Most audiophiles love showing off their stuff and it will get you some perspective on the available equipment. Can you find a local audiophile, maybe a club to get some first hand experience? Many people are amazed at what can be done when they hear a truly good system the first time. On the other hand many will simply not want to make the financial investment a truly good system requires, but you should at least know that Ferraris exist before you buy the Miata.

I bought mid Fi gear and was quite happy for nearly 6 months before I decided I had made a significant error. I ended up spending much more, made all the more painful because I had paid for the mid Fi stuff new and there was no way to recover that lost money. There's little point in upgrading slowly, it just costs you more in the long run.