AR.diy's in curved cabinet (PICS) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AR.diy's in curved cabinet (PICS)

MCH
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't think I ever posted a pic of these in this style. They are finished in high gloss black. Not easy to achieve but I'm getting there. The required cab volume is maintained as in Ed's recommendation. The cabs are made of 3/4" MDF horseshoes rings that laminated. The front is a 1" MDF.
I think I've come to the end of building anymore of these. My family and friends needs are filled. Onto other things now.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6555/mattsspeakers20fo.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1128/mattsspeakers0nk.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9798/mattsspeakers32ty.jpg

EFE Speakers
05-12-2006, 01:20 AM
As usual, very nice work Michael!

Now that you've filled all of your family orders, I need a few pairs. How about one pair of each style you've created in the last three years? I'll display them in the "EFE Museum of Fine Speakers." :cornut:

Thanks,
EFE Speakers

Feanor
05-12-2006, 03:19 AM
I don't think I ever posted a pic of these in this style. They are finished in high gloss black. Not easy to achieve but I'm getting there. The required cab volume is maintained as in Ed's recommendation. The cabs are made of 3/4" MDF horseshoes rings that laminated. The front is a 1" MDF

Up to you usual standard, MCH.

kexodusc
05-12-2006, 03:29 AM
Nice finish too...you've got far more patience than I do. Or a better spray gun.
I tried the black gloss thing once, I'm now the proud owner of a pair of black matte finished speakers. :)

Great job, M!

MCH
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Thx for the kind compliments.
Kexodusc:
I learned to achieve a high gloss look is more patience than equipment. You have to start off with a good surface, any imperfections will be magnified. I use General Paint High Gloss Marine Enamel. I thin this down with Penetrol (it helps to smooth the flow of the paint) and general paint thinner. This can be brushed or sprayed on. I work it up to about 4 coats with sanding in between coats (usually final sand is 600grit or more wet sanding). At this point there should be a very nice black satin look. If not keep adding coats until you get this. Then I rub it out with automotive rubbing compound wax. I have learned you don't go in circular motions. It's best to go linear, usually with the longest length. This way all the micro scratches will be going one way. This is from online research. There is a physics reason for this. When I have a reasonable shine I finish off with a couple of coats of Kiwi black shoe polish. This polish (put on thinnly) will give the final deep black mirror like luster. I actually found that buffing the wax with the polyster batting used in the speakers worked well. Nylon panty hose will do the trick also.
that's my story and it is true.

Ed thanks again for your wonderful design. In my little world you have made a lot of people enjoy their sound systems.

kexodusc
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Ed thanks again for your wonderful design. In my little world you have made a lot of people enjoy their sound systems.

I'll second that...although my second project, this was the one that really clicked for me and got me hooked on the DIY thing...I've built 3 different complete home theaters on Ed's design now, and just ordered this morning what will likely be my last one from Madisound...

For anyone sitting on the fence, you better pull the trigger soon, Peerless has discontinued the drivers and Madisound, Solen is out, Parts Express is out, and even Madisound's stock is dwindling...won't be long until these are vintage collectors pieces :D

JohnMichael
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Beautiful job and I love the artistic speaker stands.

gjpham
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
.... I use General Paint High Gloss Marine Enamel. ..
Where can I buy this paint AND how do you get the back of the speaker curved, do you have pix of the progress? ----GREAT WORK---