Help with DVD player/recorder purchase [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with DVD player/recorder purchase

tdst
05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Any suggestions for a decent DVD player/recorder for around $200.00 ? I've been looking at the Samsung DVD-R135 Hi-Def Conversion DVD Recorder for $179.00, but I don't know much about Samsung products, other than they are cheap. I would prefer Onkyo (since some of my other stuff is) but I'm not tied to that. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks a lot.

superpanavision70mm
05-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I need a bit more info. Are you looking for a DVD player/recorder that only records to disc or also to hardrive and if it also does hard drive are you looking for a certain amount of memory.

I have had experience with both and if you are looking for a really good straight to DVD player/recorder I would recommend a few Sony machines. If you are looking for something that also records to hard drive I might recommend Pioneer or Panasonic.

tdst
05-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you very much. I'll check out some of the Sonys. Yeah, just a straight player/recorder. What about the Samsung? If it does everything I need, is it worth it to buy a cheapie such as this one? Thanks again.

Dave

superpanavision70mm
05-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I can't speak on that particular model, but I have been fairly happy with my Samsung DVD player, although I still like the Toshiba I had prior and even happier with my previous experience with Pioneer.

What interests you the most? Are there certain features that you are requiring?

tdst
05-11-2006, 12:16 AM
This is pretty much it. I just copied the specs off of the description at onecall.com. I'm gonna go look at the Toshibas now. Thanks.

Recordable Media Type DVD-RW, DVD-R
General Features
Surround Modes DTS, Dolby Digital / AC-3
Compatible Formats MP3, JPEG, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD, DiVX, CD-RW, CD-R, CD
One Touch Record Yes
Progressive Scan Yes
Remote Control Included
Inputs / Outputs
Coaxial Rear Output
HDMI Rear Output
IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Front Input
Optical Rear Output
RF Rear Output, Rear Input
Analog Audio Rear Output
Analog Audio / Video Rear Output, Rear Input, Front Input
Component Video Rear Output
S-Video Rear Output, Rear Input

superpanavision70mm
05-11-2006, 12:54 AM
One thing that it's hard to get a good grasp of when you look at a spec sheet is functioinality and ease of navigation. I know that Pioneer is usually easier to navigate then Toshiba or Samsung. I also like the Panasonics for the same reason or even JVC for that matter. I suppose it's all a matter of what you prefer. I also stand by some of the Sony's too. Hope your decision is a good one!

tdst
05-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Okay Panny, thanks for all your input and help. I currently have a Pioneer player, and I didn't think it was that user-friendly, although since I've had it a while, I can navigate pretty easily. Think I'll go with the Samsung; it appears to have what I want. Also, I've dealt with onecall.com before, and gotten real good service from them. I'll try it out and let you know how it is. Thanks again for all your help!:cornut:

superpanavision70mm
05-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Good choice. I actually have ordered from onecall before as well and they are definitely a great place to order from. tigerdirect is another good one. I'll be curious to hear your reaction after having it awhile.

tdst
05-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Panny,

Now that I've already gone and purchased the Samsung, I just read somewhere that you can't record in 5.1. Is that true?!?:( I certainly hope not. Do you know anything about that? Thanks.

Dave