Budget $1000 bookshelf + int amp system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget $1000 bookshelf + int amp system

ddroit2001
05-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi, I have listened to mainly classical music with my headphone system. I have HD650, K701, ER4P/S headphones, Corda Aria Head amp and Rotel 1072 CD player with DiMarzio M-Path ICs.

Recently I have some problem with ear aches after listening with my headphones. So I am considering building an entry level speaker system.

My budget is $1,000.00. Because I have already the Rotel CD player, I would like to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers, an int amp and speaker cables. I have searched for last several days. But it is really hard to choose a system for my classical music listening. These days, I love Mahler symphonies.

Any suggestion.

Thank you in advance.

daviethek
05-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi, I have listened to mainly classical music with my headphone system. I have HD650, K701, ER4P/S headphones, Corda Aria Head amp and Rotel 1072 CD player with DiMarzio M-Path ICs.

Recently I have some problem with ear aches after listening with my headphones. So I am considering building an entry level speaker system.

My budget is $1,000.00. Because I have already the Rotel CD player, I would like to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers, an int amp and speaker cables. I have searched for last several days. But it is really hard to choose a system for my classical music listening. These days, I love Mahler symphonies.

Any suggestion.

Thank you in advance.

2 possibilities come to mind.

1) New:
Int amp - Cambridge Audio Azure 640 A for 369.85 combined with Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 speakers. both from www.audioadvisor.com Speaker wire? try Mapleshade golden Helix for 85.00 ( 8 ft pair. ) This brings you in at 905.00. which will leave room for an E-bay tuner for good classical music on fm. Bying new allows you the luxury of auditioning the gear.

2) Used - Better integrated like Creek, Arcam, Roksan, Better speakers like Paradigm monitor series or entry level Dynaudio and good mid-level speaker cables like AQ Bedrock.

Both systems may leave you short on bass so consider adding a cheap but reasonably musical subwoofer. ( Parts Express) . I'm sure you will get other ideas. Your listening preference is technically demanding so buy the best you can. Good luck. dk

ddroit2001
05-10-2006, 06:52 PM
2 possibilities come to mind.

1) New:
Int amp - Cambridge Audio Azure 640 A for 369.85 combined with Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 speakers. both from www.audioadvisor.com Speaker wire? try Mapleshade golden Helix for 85.00 ( 8 ft pair. ) This brings you in at 905.00. which will leave room for an E-bay tuner for good classical music on fm. Bying new allows you the luxury of auditioning the gear.

2) Used - Better integrated like Creek, Arcam, Roksan, Better speakers like Paradigm monitor series or entry level Dynaudio and good mid-level speaker cables like AQ Bedrock.

Both systems may leave you short on bass so consider adding a cheap but reasonably musical subwoofer. ( Parts Express) . I'm sure you will get other ideas. Your listening preference is technically demanding so buy the best you can. Good luck. dk

Thank you, daviethek. I am going to look at those systems.

And let me ask about epos M5. I know with my budget my preference is very demanding. But so far I read reviews that M5 is kind of all arounder.

topspeed
05-10-2006, 07:17 PM
For classical music, it's hard for me to imagine a better budget speaker than the Maggie MMG for $500. Pair it with the aforementioned Cambridge 640a or Rotel RA01 (or whatever the model is now) and you'd have the makings of terrific little system.

http://magnepan.com/_mmg.php

http://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/images/mmgimage.jpg

superpanavision70mm
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Check out PSB's website and look at their bookshelf speakers...they have the Alpha, Image, Stratus, and Platinum line....you can pick your budget when going with them, but you won't be disappointed in any of them! If you need an integrated amp...you may find a refurbished high quality NAD someone on the internet that would rock with the psb's.

drseid
05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Used you may want to consider the same setup I use for my office...

Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1s $500 used
Jolida 1301-A Int. Amp $275 used
2 Sovtek Tubes (to upgrade the stock Chinese tubes) $40

New, maybe the following:

Rega R-1 speakers $525
Jolida 1301A Amp $350
2 Sovtek Tubes (again to upgrade the stock tubes) $40

---Dave

Florian
05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
For your taste.....

Apogee Hybrids (fullranges are out of the price leauge)
Magnepans (any model)
Final Electrostatics (any model)

If you like details, nearfield and transparency, soundstage, speed etc and love classical music then there is only one choice. Go boxless!

-Flo

ddroit2001
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Thank you for your answers, topspeed, superpanavision70mm, drseid, and Florian. I have to search every products you guys suggested. Especially, I was surprised by the new world of boxless speakers.

Peter Duminy
05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
The Dynaudio Audience 42, and the new B&W CM1 come to mind. Also the Tannoy Eyris 1 is worth an audition. :)

ddroit2001
05-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Thank you, Peter. I am going to check them, too.

abulgan
05-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Rotel Cd+Amp and B&W would be great

B&W 601 or 600,check this out too

matt39
05-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Before making any suggestions on equipment I think you should look into these earaches you're having. One of the problems with extended listening on headphones is a tendency to gradually increase the volume as your ears grow used to the sound level. Simply being more careful might eliminate your problem. Another thing might be an actual hearing problem. Might be worth a trip to the doctor to make sure. Well, since you've probably already considered that, on to some suggestions. The usual suspects would be integrateds from Cambridge Audio (Azur 540A, 640A) or NAD (C320BEE, C352). I think it would be worth your while to consider the Rotel RA 1062 since it would match your cdp and is a very good product. If you want a tuner then the stereo receivers from Yamaha, Denon or Harmon Kardon would be worth a look. As to speakers, there are a lot of possibilities in your price range. Three that are of good quality and readily available would be the Paradigm Mini Monitor, Boston Acoustics VRB and the PSB Image B25. Hope this helps a little and good luck.

ddroit2001
05-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Thank you, abulgan and matt39. Yes, I guess Rotel + B&W may be a good match.

PS. Is there a big difference between int amp and receiver? For example, rotel 1062 int amp and 1052 receiver?

Florian
05-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I beg you, please listen to some other speakers besides B&W too!! Pretty Pretty please!
If you decide on them, try some Krells with them. They will wake them up and make them sound less boring.

Just my opinionated opinion

-Flo :-)

ddroit2001
05-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Thank you, Florian. I will keep in mind.