The Summer Movie Season Begins. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Summer Movie Season Begins.

Kam
05-10-2006, 11:23 AM
So now it begins... and what do we have in store for us? this.... seems very similar to last summer... remakes/ sequels/ comics/ and movies from books. anyone have anything that's a MUSTSEE this summer? I'd have to say the only ones i will not miss, will be the comics: X3 and Superman Returns. I'll prolly catch others, but i know those are the only two i'm actually planning on seeing.

May 12
Goal! The Dream Begins
Just My Luck
Poseidon

May 19
The Da Vinci Code
Over the Hedge
See No Evil

May 26
X-Men: The Last Stand

Jun 2
The Break-Up

Jun 6
The Omen

Jun 9
Cars
A Prairie Home Companion

Jun 16
The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift
The Lake House
Nacho Libre

Jun 23
Click
Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
Waist Deep

Jun 30
The Devil Wears Prada
Superman Returns

July 7
Pirates of teh Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest
A Scanner Darkly

July 14
My Super Ex-Girlfriend

July 21
Lady in the Water
Monster House

July 28
Miami Vice

August 4
Talladega Nights

August 11
The Science of Sleep
The Reaping
Snakes on a Plane
World Trade Center

August 18
Clerks 2

dean_martin
05-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm kinda liking Jack Black these days - Nacho Libre just sounds funny.

To celebrate the release of Poseidon, I might try to find the original The Poseidon Adventure on dvd. I equate Poseidon with Borgnine. No Borgnine, no Poseidon.

Clerks 2? Could be interesting.

Miami Vice? Please! I thought this was behind us.

Too bad our printer friend isn't here to fill us in on the making of Fast & Furious part trois.

GMichael
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Slim pickin's for sure. X-men, Superman and maybe Garfield.

May just wait for the DVD's to come out.

I still believe that our little de-funked printer is up there somewhere watching over us.

paul_pci
05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
For me, the must see will only be Pirates 2, as I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. The trailer for Superman Returns was too messianic for me and turned me off of that. Will probably go see Da Vinci code out of curiosity, but I think Hanks is miscast in that movie. But we'll see.

dean_martin
05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
The trailer for Superman Returns was too messianic for me and turned me off of that.

messianic

adj : of or relating to a messiah promising deliverance; "messianic cult"

Good word, Paul! (I had dictionary.com in another window - just messin' around before getting back to the task at hand.)

Woochifer
05-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Man, seems like an underwhelming response so far considering that the amount of money budgeted into these summer movies has gone through the roof! I'm primarily curious about Superman Returns, but the buzz that I've read has been decidedly mixed. I also plan to see Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've gotten very leery of two-part sequels given how Back To The Future and The Matrix did.

With M:I:III not performing as well as expected, and predictions that Poseidon will bomb big time, it looks like The Da Vinci Code can't arrive soon enough for theater owners. But, in addition to Poseidon, movies like The Omen remake and Miami Vice have me scratching my head more than anything. Otherwise, I see a lot of opportunities for some lower budget/profile sleepers to sneak into the mix, much the same way that Wedding Crashers did to the tune of over $200 million at the box office last summer.

superpanavision70mm
05-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I am wondering why anyone acts like the Summer is much different than any other time during the year when it comes to releases. First, we are plagued by remakes, sequals, etc etc all year round, but the summer just has a high concentration of fluff. Then again...I blame the idiots that go to see this garbage, not necessarily the studios..they only market crap because that's what people want to see. Don't believe me? I doubt a movie like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA would be nearly the spectacle nowaways as it was in 1962. People don't want to think, they don't want to engage, they want the movie to zone them out for 2 hours while they eat stale popcorn and watered down cola.

Worf101
05-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Is enough to give my hives. I thought they couldn't get much lower after "The Dukes of Hazzard" movie last year. Guess I was wrong. I don't know which industry is headed into the tank quicker, the movie biz or rhe music biz. Sad, sad, sad...

Da Worfster

kexodusc
05-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Pretty uninspiring bunch of films when I'm most excited for a movie I've already read the novel for, and a few superhero/pirate sequels...That said, last summer there were only 2 or 3 movies I saw in theater that I actually liked. The rest I caught on DVD...a few pleasant surprises. I think I'm going to hold back again this year.

Hadn't heard Poseidon is expected to bomb...I was kind of looking forward to an action/thriller flick...I know it's totally unoriginal, derivative, and over-the-top, but the previews don't look that bad...maybe a rental...It'll be tough to top "Deep Rising" though...one of my favorite disliked films.

Looks like comedies/romantic comedies could be the big draws this summer.

paul_pci
05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Man, seems like an underwhelming response so far considering that the amount of money budgeted into these summer movies has gone through the roof! I'm primarily curious about Superman Returns, but the buzz that I've read has been decidedly mixed. I also plan to see Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've gotten very leery of two-part sequels given how Back To The Future and The Matrix did.

Are you talking smack about my beloved Back to the Future trilogy?

Woochifer
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Are you talking smack about my beloved Back to the Future trilogy?

Only parts 2 & 3! :D

Then again, with Pirates of the Caribbean I never thought I'd like a movie based on an amusement park ride, so maybe the sequels will also be a pleasant surprise.

But, please don't get me started on the Matrix sequels ...

topspeed
05-12-2006, 09:29 AM
I'll see Davinci, Over the Hedge (two young kids...umm...uh...they're forcing me to see it...YEAH, THAT'S the ticket), X3, Cars (duh), and Pirates. I'm on the fence about Posiedon and Supe.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Joel Siegal, one of ABC's movie critic's(and a pretty harsh one at that) says that Posiedon was actually quite good, so I am going to check it out. Superman, X-men, Pirates, Snake on a plane are all DVD'ers. I will get a chance to see an advance screening of Cars at Pixar's screening theater a week before it opens. There is nothing else I am remotely interested in seeing, DVD or theater!

Defshep
05-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I am wondering why anyone acts like the Summer is much different than any other time during the year when it comes to releases. First, we are plagued by remakes, sequals, etc etc all year round, but the summer just has a high concentration of fluff. Then again...I blame the idiots that go to see this garbage, not necessarily the studios..they only market crap because that's what people want to see. Don't believe me? I doubt a movie like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA would be nearly the spectacle nowaways as it was in 1962. People don't want to think, they don't want to engage, they want the movie to zone them out for 2 hours while they eat stale popcorn and watered down cola.
I think you nailed it. I am excited about the sequels, X-3, Pirates 2, but the remakes make me crazy. The Omen interests me because the original, to me, is a classic.
I find myself waiting for dvd more and more these days. Going to the Summer "blockbuster" movies is less of an event to me than it used to be. Face it, we got excited about the Star Wars prequels because of the legacy of the name. The movies themselves, though, were kinda crap. DON'T KILL ME FOR SAYING THAT! It's just that when you have to pick out "parts" that were awesome, that's not saying much for the film as a whole. I own and enjoy the prequels, they just don't have the magic. Lucas made 'em because he's a brilliant businessman. If you make anything with a familiar name, they will come. The same way he decided to release the original, non-cgi versions of Episodes 4-6 in the fall. The same will probably be true about Indy 4.Dont get me wrong, Indiana Jones was my hero growing up. I even forgave Temple of Doom. But face it, Ford needs a hit, Lucas needs to head back to the Indy green machine because that's all he has left. Speilberg must be doing them both a favor...
Rambling, incoherent rant over.