Power Cables... Fiction or Truth? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power Cables... Fiction or Truth?

superpanavision70mm
05-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Ok, I know that we have debated quite a bit on here over speaker cables and such, but what about power cables? Is it true that the standard cables that come equipped with our H/T or audio equipment is not sufficient enough for a power cord? Even when you buy something high-end that has a detachable power cord....is there a need to upgrade? Of course not all components are able to have the detachable cord, which is usually a sign that the piece is either low-fi or mid-fi at best.

My experience has been with 2 power cords and I have noticed certain results. I use the Acoustic Zen "Tsunami" for my amps (it lists for about $250 I think) and I use AudioQuests AC-15's for anything else. (it lists for about $150).

Most people claim that by using better high grade power cords that the sound of their equipment improves greatly, which I am not debating, but this has not been that noticeable to me...however, I will say that performance does improve with the equipment in general upon using a better high-grade or hospital grade power cord. Amps are especially picky about getting pure high current power, which the Tsunami delivers and then some. I notice that there is no interference happening whatsoever.

So the question is....what has everyone elses experience been with power cords? Also, has anyone used the Shunyata Venom???

Fergymunster
05-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Ok, I know that we have debated quite a bit on here over speaker cables and such, but what about power cables? Is it true that the standard cables that come equipped with our H/T or audio equipment is not sufficient enough for a power cord? Even when you buy something high-end that has a detachable power cord....is there a need to upgrade? Of course not all components are able to have the detachable cord, which is usually a sign that the piece is either low-fi or mid-fi at best.

My experience has been with 2 power cords and I have noticed certain results. I use the Acoustic Zen "Tsunami" for my amps (it lists for about $250 I think) and I use AudioQuests AC-15's for anything else. (it lists for about $150).

Most people claim that by using better high grade power cords that the sound of their equipment improves greatly, which I am not debating, but this has not been that noticeable to me...however, I will say that performance does improve with the equipment in general upon using a better high-grade or hospital grade power cord. Amps are especially picky about getting pure high current power, which the Tsunami delivers and then some. I notice that there is no interference happening whatsoever.

So the question is....what has everyone elses experience been with power cords? Also, has anyone used the Shunyata Venom???
For me I got the AQ nrg-2 pc only because there was a store close by.Did it make a diference?Only for the CA azur 640c it did.But this is where it ends for me as I'm removing myself from the addtictive nature of finding the ultimate pc.There is no such thing.It's about my system sounds better than yours like children comparing their toys in a sand box.You can choose to believe all the Bla,Bla Bla about sound quality etc...it doing this and that.That's a choice you make.It used to be the you could believe about 3/4 of what you read but in this day and age you be lucky to find any truth at all.

Smokey
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Of course not all components are able to have the detachable cord, which is usually a sign that the piece is either low-fi or mid-fi at best.

That is a funny way of determining whether componet is low, mid or Hi-fi. Wouldn't looking at specifications be more fruitfull :)

superpanavision70mm
05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I never said that it was the determining factor...I simply said that it was a 'sign' indicating that it might not be a high-end unit. Majority of high-end units have detachable cords. This is not to say that there are units out there that could be great players, but still have a non-detachable cord. Thanks for reading far into what I wrote. I think the key word in what I wrote is 'USUALLY" which means not all the time, but more often than not. If you can name a lot of high end gear that have non-detachables then maybe I'll rephrase my statement.

E-Stat
05-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Wouldn't looking at specifications be more fruitfull :)
What do you find the specifications tell you?

rw

Smokey
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
SuperP and E-STAT

Detachable cable also does mean that unit is multi 110/220 voltage. I don’t know how much of that apply in audio components, but in other area of electronics (notably communication), detachable cord mean multi regional capability.

Usually power cord are sufficient for the specifications (mostly current) they are used for. But there are always room for improvement such as better noise rejection/emission capability. So upgrading to power cord that specifically address that issue might be beneficial. And it is not too expensive to do :)

E-Stat
05-12-2006, 06:10 PM
So upgrading to power cord that specifically address that issue might be beneficial. And it is not too expensive to do :)
My DIY flavor using Belden 83803 is indeed cost effective. It is not, however, nearly as good as the Harmonic Tech Magics in my system. :)

rw

daviethek
05-12-2006, 06:28 PM
My DIY flavor using Belden 83803 is indeed cost effective. It is not, however, nearly as good as the Harmonic Tech Magics in my system. :)

rw

I started an aftermarket power chord thread and recieved advice from "don't waste your money" to "go DIY". I ended up getting the PS audio "punch" chord for 50.00. I also made a couple of DIY using 13/3 and hospital grade connectors for around 35.00 each. All made a very small difference in sound. I'm satisfied and will go no further on that tweak.( I would like to hear an expensive one in the system though. )

superpanavision70mm
05-13-2006, 01:14 AM
The Acoustic Zen "TSUNAMI" that I use in my system are regularly quite expensive, but I have found them on eBay often and usually at a great price. Worthy to upgrade to!!