Bang For Buck Bookshelf [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bang For Buck Bookshelf

ssarm@mac.com
05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers that will be used primarily in a bedroom. Listening to Jazz, R&B, Soul, Funk, Classic Rock. I'm on a college budget. So what are good models in the 200-400 range. I plan on trying to get a used pair on Ebay, so they are affordable. I was looking at the atoms, but if I'm getting them on Ebay maybe I can go a bit higher in quality and price.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
I know I should really be listening to them in person, but I just don't have the time. If I do not like the speakers I can always just sell them and try something new out.

GMichael
05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
KEF Q3's or Q1's.

audio_dude
05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
if you can listen to the atoms, then go with them, they are probably the best sub $200 speaker on the market right now, and then you don't have to have the hasle of not getting the sound you expected on ebay, so my vote for the atoms you listened to

Mark111867
05-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Cambridge Soundworks has some Newton M80 bookshelf speakers on E-Bay for $275.00. Keep in mind, these are returns. I think that these are very tough to beat for the money. I bought a pair at full price a couple of years ago for a second pair of speakers. I liked them so much I took advantage of the $275.00 deal. Good luck.

topspeed
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Good suggestions so far. I'd also add the Epos ELS3 and Athena B2.2, Tweeter has the Polk LSi7's for $399. Ring radiator tweeter and very good build quality. Not fatiguing in the least and more dynamic than the Athena, but not as controlled as the Epos. You could easily buy the larger LSi9 used for under $400.

http://twtr.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1604055dt.jpg

RoyY51
05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
You might add the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's to your short list. Smooth highs, life-like midrange and 42 HZ on the bottom. Got mine at DMC Electronics for $300.00. I'm pretty sure that DMC sells online, too. You'll very rarely see these on Ebay.I think it's because once you've heard them, you don't want to give them up!

superpanavision70mm
05-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I would agree with the above mentioned Polks or even the Polk Monitor 40s if you don't want to spend as much.

audio amateur
05-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Or how 'bout the new PSB alpha's?

stymie
05-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Phasetech Velocity v-4's! Wide soundstage--just great sounding bookshelves.

bobsticks
05-10-2006, 06:55 AM
...good group to consider. I am a happy KEF owner, albeit a different model (floorstanders).
KEF's, generally speaking of course, will have very fluid midrange and decent imaging.
I also cannot see you being displeased with the L-series Polks as recommended previously.
Cheers and happy hunting

dean_martin
05-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I like the Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones - they're a generation behind the current Evo One so they're going to be cheap if available. Upscale has them on it's site, but I haven't confirmed they still have'em.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=31#speakers

The Aegis One has a silk dome tweeter and is smooth on top. It's detailed, but not "in your face" or fatiguing. It has deep bass for a bookshelf - not the tightest bass, but it has a nice full sound. It does best in small to medium sized rooms. I sit failry close to mine. I have'em in a music only system. I tried'em in a larger room with movies and they didn't do quite as well - weren't as exciting as my NHTs.

If placement is going to be a problem, you might consider a front-ported speaker like the Polks. That way you don't have the port up against a wall which will mess up your bass sound.

Jim Clark
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I haven't even heard most of the speakers suggested and far be it from me to argue the merits of any of those particular speakers, except the Atoms. I've read all of the same reviews and years ago made the same suggestion. Then I listened to them. They are better than the Titans but that isn't covering much ground. I'd think you should be able to do way better than the Atoms.

I'm a bit surprised that given the nature of the request that nobody has suggest the DIY route. I can't imagine a better "bang for the buck" suggestion than the AR DIY's. Three hundred and some change and you get some serious speakers. Resale on typical DIY ventures usually offer a poor return. The popularity of these speakers do a great job of helping them hold a high amount of their value negating that one drawback. I dunno, I'd think this may represent one of the better values in audio speakers. The fact that you can get good cabinets prebuilt and purchase the crossovers assembled means that anyone should be able to build a set.

jc

ssarm@mac.com
05-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I was taking a walk around the city, and I just happened to pass a high end-speaker store. I went to look outside, was talking to one of the salesman, and he showed me that he had a pair of brand new custom order atoms. they are redwood with a grey mesh, someone custom ordered them but then changed their mind. They retail at 219, he said he would give them to me for 160. and i get the 4 year warranty.

I'm gonna take em. that sounds better to me then trying to get a used speaker off of ebay for 120.

Thanks a lot for help guys. I'm going to also post a question in the amps section, give it a look it you want.

dean_martin
05-11-2006, 07:23 AM
I was taking a walk around the city, and I just happened to pass a high end-speaker store. I went to look outside, was talking to one of the salesman, and he showed me that he had a pair of brand new custom order atoms. they are redwood with a grey mesh, someone custom ordered them but then changed their mind. They retail at 219, he said he would give them to me for 160. and i get the 4 year warranty.

I'm gonna take em. that sounds better to me then trying to get a used speaker off of ebay for 120.

Thanks a lot for help guys. I'm going to also post a question in the amps section, give it a look it you want.

Don't you luv it when blind luck strikes? The force is truly w/you young one.