Don't shoot me. Final question before I buy. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Don't shoot me. Final question before I buy.

BKSinAZ
05-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Whats the major differences between the Hitachi 42HDX62 & the 42HDS52?
What are differences in picture quality specs?
How much better is the HDX over the HDS?

I know it is the same question I asked of the Panasonics :idea:

edtyct
05-09-2006, 06:40 AM
I'll answer these questions as well as possible and then it's the firing squad for you.

These are last year's models, and both of them are ALiS panels, featuring resolution of 1024x1024. The "X" versions are intended for the "enthusiast." They have a gloss black finish that lets the screen float a bit in a dim room; they advertise better detail in dark scenes; they offer superior adjustment of color/hue and color temperature; they have on-screen TV Guide and an IEEE, or firewire, input. From what I can see, these are the main differences from the "S" version, not to mention the $1000+ variation in price.

If these two models comprised my short list of plasmas, I'd spring for the more versatile "X" one if money were no object. In that case, why not? Otherwise, a person (like you, for instance) will have to decide whether any perceptible advantage is worth the extra money. I'm not sure that last year's Hitachis have quite the finesse of this year's. Issues of false contouring and poor color decoding seem to dog them a bit, though the "X" version would seem to be capable of ameliorating them from the product literature, though I couldn't swear to it.

Now you're either on you're own, or you have to pay the piper. Blindfold?

BKSinAZ
05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
What are this years models of Hitachi? I thought that the HDS and the HDX were this years models?, They are still on Hitachi's website as what I beleive are current models. Hhmmm. Even best buy just told me that they are 2006.

If they are not current 06 models, when do you think they will come out?

I'll answer these questions as well as possible and then it's the firing squad for you.

These are last year's models, and both of them are ALiS panels, featuring resolution of 1024x1024. The "X" versions are intended for the "enthusiast." They have a gloss black finish that lets the screen float a bit in a dim room; they advertise better detail in dark scenes; they offer superior adjustment of color/hue and color temperature; they have on-screen TV Guide and an IEEE, or firewire, input. From what I can see, these are the main differences from the "S" version, not to mention the $1000+ variation in price.

If these two models comprised my short list of plasmas, I'd spring for the more versatile "X" one if money were no object. In that case, why not? Otherwise, a person (like you, for instance) will have to decide whether any perceptible advantage is worth the extra money. I'm not sure that last year's Hitachis have quite the finesse of this year's. Issues of false contouring and poor color decoding seem to dog them a bit, though the "X" version would seem to be capable of ameliorating them from the product literature, though I couldn't swear to it.

Now you're either on you're own, or you have to pay the piper. Blindfold?

edtyct
05-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Both of them came out in 2005 and are still current. I don't know for how long. Somebody else might. I lost consciousness for a minute at the end of my post and turned them into the 2004 models that weren't quite as good. These 2005 models are the improved ones. I doubt that any new ones in 2006 would be much different.

AVMASTER
05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
What are this years models of Hitachi? I thought that the HDS and the HDX were this years models?, They are still on Hitachi's website as what I beleive are current models. Hhmmm. Even best buy just told me that they are 2006.

If they are not current 06 models, when do you think they will come out?
As of right now Hitachi has several microdisplays scheduled for late spring/early summer release but NO plasmas. The two models you mentioned are carry-over from last year. As an authorized dealer, i suspect any new plasma models won't be announced till later in the year. The 42hdx62 is more a videophile plasma and worth the extra cost it commands. However NO one can make this choice but you regardless of what we may tell you.

AVMASTER
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
slight correction:
there has been one new plasma model announced recently, but it was in the "S" catagory-entry level, so I didn't pay it much attention ( i'm such a snob) . Model # 42hds69 , i have not seen this unit but it should be on thier website now