Fantasy Island. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Island.

Smokey
05-07-2006, 11:11 AM
My friend loaned my his copy of first and second season of Fantasy Island, and must say this show (to my surprise) is surprisingly entertaining. Ricardo Montalban is at helm with his famous “tight face” one liner shots, and host of guest appearances by famous TV/film actors.

One thing that struck me about this show is the video quality. It is simply awesome. Looks like it was shot on film, with vivid and sharp picture.

And off course Tattoo is there to wrap up the whole package with momentary comic reliefs :D

http://www.trendfollowing.com/images/534977.jpg

dean_martin
05-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Ahhh, that was one of my favorites as a kid. The weekend lineup I remember went something like Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Space: 1999 and a local movie program called Popcorn Theater which played all the Hammer horror films, Abbott & Costello and other b&w gems.

Those were simpler times.

Smokey
05-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Ahhh, that was one of my favorites as a kid.

Alot of classic TV shows from 80s and 70s, or 60s/50s (you might be old as dirt :D) are becoming available on DVD. And cheapest place to get them in town is at Samsclub.

DVD seem to be perfect for such a medium.

dean_martin
05-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Alot of classic TV shows from 80s and 70s, or 60s/50s (you might be old as dirt :D) are becoming available on DVD. And cheapest place to get them in town is at Samsclub.

DVD seem to be perfect for such a medium.

I'm 37 (soon to be 38) - not quite as old as dirt, but sometimes I feel like it. My tv watching memories go back to around 1975. Amazingly, I've found that my watching habits back then shaped my tastes. I'm still a fan of Space: 1999 and have some of the episodes on dvd. I have fond memories of Fantasy Island, but not so much for The Love Boat. Some of the movies I saw on the local Saturday late night movie program continue to be favorites like the Universal and Hammer horror films and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Some of the summer matinees I saw in theaters as a kid are still faves like Harryhausen's Sinbad movies and Jason and the Argonauts and the recently mentioned Batman The Movie. (Of course I remember the Batman tv show too.)

I remember watching Sanford & Son and Good Times in the afternoons. Geez, my points of reference are lost on my kids. Try saying "Dyn-O-mite" and you'll get blank stares.

kelsci
05-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Fantasy Island was a nifty show. I thought that Roarke symbalized God running a fate factory on earth with his angel, Tattoo. If Roarke was not God, then he was certainly some kind of "super" being, because the devil was aware who he was. Roarke might have been an angel of God doing his bidding on earth too.

dean_martin
05-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Anyone remember the Chrysler Cordoba and its rich Corinthian leather?