TH-42PX500U vs. TH-42PX60U. Whats the major differences? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TH-42PX500U vs. TH-42PX60U. Whats the major differences?

BKSinAZ
05-06-2006, 07:36 PM
What are the major differences between the Panasonic TH-42PX500U and the TH-42PX60U. Whats the major differences? Do they have the same picture quality?

edtyct
05-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi BK,

Panasonic's plasma labelling has always been confusing, and it's only become worse. Here's a clue about what the designations mean.

TH used to signify Panasonic's professional models; now it applies to all of them. However, the consumer models used to be a year behind the pro ones in glass panels. This may be the first year when they coincide.

P means plasma; X refers to the XGA resolution (1024x768).

The next number--in your case, either 60 or 500--escapes me entirely. The number in this slot from previous years signified generation (8 being the last one that I recall), but Panasonic has obviously left that info behind. I think that they're now in the 9th generation.

U refers to the country of origin--the United States.

As to the differences between these models, I think that the 60U is newer. It has much higher contrast numbers and a far greater color palette. I don't believe that the 60U is PC-cable like the 500U, but it carries two HDMI inputs rather than one. It's footprint is a little smaller, and it's bezel has more silver. So far as I can tell, these are the stated major differences. Oddly, the 60U may also sell for less, at least in some places. Is that right? You might check. Other than that, the two models seem to cancel out.

I doubt that differences in picture quality are evident. Panasonic's plasma contrast has been the best in the business for a long time. They've also learned a trick or two about cell bonding from Pioneer within the last few years. I'd take a good long look at the two models side by side if possible, on a level playing field, to see whether you can notice anything, but, depending on the environment and the degree of scrutiny, I'd tend to doubt it. The fact that a plasma may be "capable" of finer levels of color and grey may not translate into anything visible. In the end, whichever of these models carries the lower price and higher availability may be the more attractive to many people.

BKSinAZ
05-07-2006, 01:27 PM
It's footprint is a little smaller, .

What is footprint?

Yes, the 60U is much cheaper. That is one reason there was confusion about quality.

One less question to you...The pana or the hatachi 42HDS52? Which one would you buy for quality of picture? hahaha Dont tell me I need to make the decission, I am asking you for your oppinion which will assist me to make the final decission. :6:

edtyct
05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Footprint is size. We're talking about a difference of a couple of inches on one of the dimensions--not a big deal. Plasma prices have been dropping steadily, and Panasonic is leading the way.

I recently did a cursory calibration of a 42" Hitachi, and I was wildly impressed about it from top to bottom. You wouldn't be missing anything if you decided on one. My pal, AVMASTER, who shows up here from time to time, may want to kill me, but I still have a soft spot for Panasonics, which always have had superb black levels and now have improved the rest of the package, too. Let's call it a toss-up, and let price determine the winner. That way, I can be honest and stick it to you at the same time. Seriously, these are two high-performing plasmas.

Let me add: If I recall correctly, Hitachi and Panasonic have joined forces in the production of plasmas. They don't make exactly the same models, but they do share facilities and probably R&D.

Ed