Lost Gems... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lost Gems...

superpanavision70mm
05-06-2006, 01:01 AM
I thought it would be cool to name some great films that have been somewhat lost over the years and are worthy of rediscovery. I know I won't even come close to naming all of them, but I'll give it a whirl at a few....please feel free to add to the list...

Alan J. Pakula's PARALLAX VIEW (worth seeing again for the political aspects)

David Cronenberg's THE DEAD ZONE (also a great political film...Christopher Walken...enough said!)

William Friedkin's TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. (worth seeing now for William H. Peterson since the rise of CSI)

MANHUNTER (also worth seeing for Peterson, but also a great chapter in the Lecter series)

McCABE AND MRS. MILLER (certainly one of Robert Altman's best...)

DON'T LOOK NOW (a bizarre film like most of Nicolas Roeg's work...also one of the most crazy editing love scenes between Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie)

David Lean's RYAN'S DAUGHTER (a spectacular 70mm film that is finally on DVD!)

Michael Cimino's YEAR OF THE DRAGON and HEAVEN'S GATE. Two films that are incredible in their own right. Mickey Rouke is awesome in YEAR OF THE DRAGON and HEAVEN'S GATE finally deserves the audience it never had.

STATE OF GRACE Incredibly great mafia movie with Sean Penn and Ed Harris, plus Gary Oldman...what more could you want? The film was pushed to the side in 1990 when tons of other gangster movies came out...those being THE KRAYS, GODFATHER III, MILLER'S CROSSING, GOODFELLAS, and even a few comedies of the genre.

LAURA Probably one of the best films with plot twists all over the place. Always worth viewing!

LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN A melodrama that gets better with time...seriously this one had me laughing all over the place....about as much as watching Robert Stack shooting 'blanks' in WRITTEN ON THE WIND.

HUD One of Paul Newman's best ever....a great cinematic portrayal of a bygone era.

THE ELEPHANT MAN An emotional crusher every time you see it. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and the b&w camerawork is stunning.

THE LIMEY While not that old...this Soderbergh flick is definitely becoming a lost gem....Terrence Stamp is incredible!!!

DOWN BY LAW Just about every Jarmusch film could be considered a lost gem, but this one is probably one of the more obscure and it's just awesome in all aspects. I especially like Tom Waits role.

BLOWOUT Brian DePalma is usually hit-or-miss for me, but this one nails alot of the right spots....It's also one of John Travolta's best films.

shokhead
05-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Andromeda Strain,cant not watch it.
Ice Station Zebra
Town Without Pity

Wireworm5
05-06-2006, 06:34 AM
The Hustler- Fast Eddie Felson (Paul Newman) has the all the skills to beat anyone at the game. Except he can't beat Minnasota Fats (Jackie Gliesen) in what becomes a test of will power and character.

The Color of Money- Fast Eddie Felson owns his own bar, retired from his hustling days he no longer has any zeal for the game of pool. By chance he spots a cocky young player named Vince (Tom Cruise) with great pool playing ability. He sees himself again as this young upstart and wants to teach him what he knows. In the process Fast Eddie finds himself again and his zeal for the game and can't rest till he knows he can beat the young upstart.

Rocky- a fighter who is just trying to make a living doing the only thing he knows, boxing. He gets his one chance to prove to himself he's no failure in life by fighting the reigning world champion.

Hard Times- Its the depression,Speed (James Coburn) a hustler lucks out on a prize street fighter Chaney (Charles Bronson).

Love Story- a man falls in love with a sassy young women and finds himself.

First Blood- A drifter, Rambo a Vietnam vet. is not welcome in his own country. He cannot escape his past and has to fight another war with the law.

shokhead
05-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Forgot about Hard Times, Charles at his best imo,an always watch movie.

superpanavision70mm
05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't consider ROCKY a lost gem...It's on TBS all the time as well as other stations along with RAMBO/FIRST BLOOD.

ICE STATION ZEBRA is def. a lost gem though. Go Rock Hudson!