Sharp Aquos [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Aquos

rockotodd
05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
I am about to buy an LCD, budget under $1800. I like the Sharp Aquos but am confused between the LC-32D40U and the LC32D4U. The 40U has two HDMI connections which is nice, but other than the cabinet size being different they appear the same (40U is brighter as well) Anyone have any recommendations?? I plan on using this tv as our main tv for tv watching and video gaming.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

edtyct
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
rockotodd,

Unlike the 40U, the 4U is PC-compatible, has a cable card slot, and has a contrast of 4000:1 (as opposed to 1200:1, for whatever that's worth). The contrast number may indicate a better black level on the 4U than on the 40U, though truth in advertising is not the display industry's greatest quality. The fudge factor in contrast numbers is immense. Generally, LCDs are extremely bright compared to their flat-panel cousins, plasmas; the advantage is that their screens don't wash out easily with ambient room light. But if you keep the lights dim, searing brightness doesn't have much to offer, except to disguise LCD's relative inability to show genuine black. You might check at the AVS LCD forum whether the 4U's black level is noticeably superior to the 40U's, if you care.

For gamers, the most important feature about both of these new Sharps is their vaunted 6 ms. response time. Compared to the usual 25 ms. or so, this refresh rate, if accurate, marks a genuine advance. Whichever model you choose will carry this benefit, so far as I know.

Ed

PAT.P
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
The 4u is Digital cable ready with cablecard slot ,dont need a external cable box.Just go to Sharp website and compare

rockotodd
05-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks, edtyct. The website says the 4U has a 800:1 contrast but you are right that is the least of my concerns. I am a little cautous about the 40U because (this might be a tad crazy) Best Buy sells that model.
Pat---I did compare them on Sharp's website but other than the ports differences they appeared to be the same.

edtyct
05-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Manufacturers will sometimes create slight variations on their models for certain electronics chains to appease their other distributors, who don't like to see the big-box stores, or the discount clubs, handling the same merchandise that they have (often at a lower price). Usually the differences don't amount to much. In this case, the different features seem intrinsic to Sharp's lineup in an attempt to establish price points. To me, the fact that BB carries the 40U doesn't appear to be a poor reflection on it.

rockotodd
05-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks a lot. I took your advice and went to the avs forums and people seem to like the 40U. Appears that the 40U is the newest model, the 4U was last year's. Again thanks.

Marc H
05-06-2006, 07:15 AM
The 40U has much better black level, wider viewing angle, faster response time and two HDMI inputs.
I tried a PC on the 37" model and it worked fine.