New Pearl Jam... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Pearl Jam...

audiobill
05-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Anyone here, listen to the new Pearl Jam album that's self-titled? Need some direction, since I'll be buying either it or the new Tool, this weekend. I'm a big fan of both bands, but I don't want to get stuck with a dud disc.

Thanks, in advance,

audiobill

kexodusc
05-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Anyone here, listen to the new Pearl Jam album that's self-titled? Need some direction, since I'll be buying either it or the new Tool, this weekend. I'm a big fan of both bands, but I don't want to get stuck with a dud disc.

Thanks, in advance,

audiobill

I like them both...I'll give the edge to the Pearl Jam disc just because it's pretty consistent all the way through. I don't think they'll win new fans, but there old fans will be very happy.
Go with whatever you're in the mood for...they're both cheap, maybe take back some bottles and get both?

audiobill
05-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the nudge Kexodusc.

I'll take my pop bottles in and get both -- why not live dangerously.

Thanks-a-ton for your recs.,

Bill

kexodusc
05-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the nudge Kexodusc.

I'll take my pop bottles in and get both -- why not live dangerously.

Thanks-a-ton for your recs.,

Bill

No problem...

I dunno what it was, maybe the new drummer, but ever since Binaural, Pearl Jam's been revitalized. I think each release since then has gotten better...Riot Act was solid return to good rock music without the weird mellow side-trips, Lost Dogs had a ton of great tunes on it that usually only got played at shows...this one just's another good effort from start to finish. Instead of dying out with the 90's they seemed to have found a working formula and survived quite well.

I'll be curious to know your impressions, I definitely think this album is one of their top 3...I'll need to give it more time to say more than that though.

BinFrog
05-08-2006, 04:02 AM
I am a Pearl Jam lunatic, so I am of course biased, but I think the new album is almost perfect. Aside from some clipping issues I have heard, I think it's flawless. The new songs are going to be awesome live. My first show of the tour is on Friday and I can't freaking wait!

audiobill
05-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I'll be curious to know your impressions, I definitely think this album is one of their top 3...I'll need to give it more time to say more than that though.

Well, I've had some days to live with the new album from Pearl Jam & what can I say.... I love it!! In fact, imho, it's the best album since Yield. You're right on the money, kexodusc: top 3, for sure.

My favourites, a few days in, are as follows: "Marker in the Sand" (the drums rock this tune and Vedder's voice is truly rock'n'roll), "Inside Job" (slow-burn meditation that works), "Big Wave" (Pearl Jam takes a White Stripes turn & the song gets the head noddin' & the foot tappin'), and "Gone" (love that acoustic guitar & that haunted Vedder voice -- Wow!!).

My initial impressions,

Bill

kexodusc
05-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Glad to hear you haven't regretted the decision.
Best Album since Yield, huh? That's funny, I'm always amazed at how two people can like the same artist, but have radically different opinions of their works. Nothing wrong with that, though, just shows the band has wide appeal.
I thought Yield was sort of a crossroads for them, I've enjoyed each successive release since Yield just a bit more than the previous one (though I actually liked Yield more than Vitalogy or No Code).
I like how Pearl Jam's made the transition from just another grunge/alternative band from the early 90's to a full blown, straight-up arena rock act. They're on a roll, for sure.

BinFrog
05-15-2006, 03:58 AM
If you have a chance to see them this tour, GO! The 2 shows this weekend were insane. I can't wait for Boston and Camden!

audiobill
05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
If you have a chance to see them this tour, GO! The 2 shows this weekend were insane. I can't wait for Boston and Camden!

You're making us all very jealous. What were some of the highlights??

3-LockBox
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
I like how Pearl Jam's made the transition from just another grunge/alternative band from the early 90's to a *full blown, straight-up arena rock act. They're on a roll, for sure.

*That's a pretty apt description of the new one.

I like it. I haven't really liked an entire Pearl Jam album since Vs.

BinFrog
05-18-2006, 03:48 AM
You're making us all very jealous. What were some of the highlights??

Well, for one, Albany had some major bustouts. Rats for the first time since 98. Satan's Bed for the first time since the botched bustout at State College in 03, and before that was back in, I think, 95-96. Red Mosquito was a nice little rarity.

And Hartford was just intense. The band was ultra tight and the sound was terrific. Garden and I'm Open were nice gems, with the latter being a first-time-ever performance (awesome for a 10 year old song).

25 shows into my PJ career and after the last 2 I am able to cross off 1 songs from each of the first 4 albums I had never seen before. That's amazing.

The band is firing on all cylinders right now. The 03 tour rocked, the 05 Canada tour was awesome, and they've just next-levelled it. The new songs sound great and the old songs have been rejuvenated (oh my god the jam during Porch in Albany was like something you'd hear on the 94 tour...Stone was an animal).

Trust me: go see them if you can.

BinFrog
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Last night, the 2nd Boston show, was epic. That is the only adjective to describe what went on at the Garden. Truly epic.

audiobill
05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Last night, the 2nd Boston show, was epic. That is the only adjective to describe what went on at the Garden. Truly epic.

Man, BinFrog.

You're making us all jealous. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with these truly amazing reports.

Cheers,

Bill

BinFrog
05-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Philly 1&2 were awesome shows, but Boston 2 still takes the cake. And so my mini-tour ends.

BinFrog
05-30-2006, 05:00 AM
The 6 best pics I took, cropped and edited

http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/Philly06/touchups/

audiobill
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
The 6 best pics I took, cropped and edited

http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/Philly06/touchups/

Cool pics, BinFrog!!

Some of the security look pretty intense. Eddie looks spot on & having a good time.

Thanks for sharing,

audiobill

BinFrog
06-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Here are the rest of them:

http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/Philly06/